Another email scam?
    -------------------

Dear Customer:

Recently there have been a large number of cyber attacks pointing our database servers. In order to safeguard your account, we require you to sign on immediately.

This personal check is requested of you as a precautionary measure and to ensure yourselves that everything is normal with your balance and personal information.

This process is mandatory, and if you did not sign on within the nearest time your account may be subject to temporary suspension.

Please make sure you have your Citibank(R) debit card number and your User ID and Password at hand.

Please use our secure counter server to indicate that you have signed on, please click the link bellow:

http :// 211.158.34.250/citifi/ I spaced apart the link, no need to give them popularity.

!! Note that we have no particular indications that your details have been compromised in any way.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter and thank you for using Citibank(R)

Regards,

Citibank(R) Card Department

(C)2004 Citibank. Citibank, N.A., Citibank, F.S.B.,
    Citibank (West), FSB. Member FDIC.Citibank and Arc
    Design is a registered service mark of Citicorp.

============================

Since I don't have a Citibank account, this must be just another email scam.

If you do have a Citibank account and get that email too, make sure you don't click on the link in that email.

Yeah I got that one and couple From Suntrust inc, Even though I don't have an account with those two. I considered it a scam and just deleted the emails.

I've seen loads of Citibank ones today, and ones for Lloyds TSB who I actually *do* bank with.

Last week I got an extremely convincing PayPal one. I had to check the source code very carefully.

The bottom line.. your bank generally doesn't send emails out, and if it looks like it has, never click on the link. Oh yes, dump IE too as it's still too easy to spoof addresses on it.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo is right...they're all a con. My main bank - also LloydsTSB as it happens - has never sent an email out, nor have any of the other places I bank with. Delete 'em all and you'll be just fine.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep those are all scams to capture peeps account info. I get loads a day for Ebay, PayPal, Citibank, WellsFargo, Smith & Barney, etc.

They could care less if you have an account with the institution or not. They are sending them out by the millions, so they are bound to luck up eventually and send it to someone who does have an account and then will fall for the scam.

I reported the scammers.
    Go to http://www.citi.com/domain/spoof/report.htm to find out more on this practice and to also report them.

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Frustratingly, phishing scams are pretty good at slipping through spam filters too.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread