Anyone know a good (cheap) place to purchase or download the full version?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Amazon and ebay are your best bets but don't look for any big bargains. About the best you will do at this point is $150. If used, make sure you can register it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Internet Cowboy
    I don't mean to turn this in to a MS love/hate session, but there are so many better WSYWYG html editors out there. Consider your options.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scohaz:
    I don't mean to turn this in to a MS love/hate session, but there are so many better WSYWYG html editors out there. Consider your options. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What would you recommend instead? I currently use MSFP but am considering new options.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

As it happens I bought a new copy of FP2003 yesterday on ebay for the equivalent of $107.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The version of FP I have doesn't support header tags ( &lt;h1&gt;, &lt;h2&gt;,...) at all. That's stupid.

And as for coding links with rollovers and other features, FP also comes up short.

I end up using it for tables and general layout and then a lot of html hard coding in the HTML pane (aka view) of FP.

Do these other WYSIWYG editors cover header tags and allow for complete aff link coding? Could you list them for us?

Internet Cowboy
    Dreamweaver supports header tags and is much easier to get around in (at least to me).
    Coffee Cup makes a decent html editor as well.
    I used FP98 when it came out and got used to it. Once you getr familiar with a program I understand it is a pain to dump it for another one, but Dreamweaver meshes much better with perl and php scripts and supports header tags as well.
    As for rollovers, I have never been a big fan. I have done them at the request of design clients in Dreamweaver, but I basically coded them manually. Dreamweaver mixes VERY well with Flash (both Macromedia products) and other inserts.
    My copy of Dreamweaver is 5 or 6 years old, so I have no idea how much it costs now. It will be more than FP.
    My brother used Coffee Cup and has done some nice work on his personal realtor sites with it. It is free for the limited (ad filled) version or about $50 for the real version the last time I checked.
    If FP works for you, that's certainly fine, but as html editors go, it is one of the most cumbersome in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Donuts:
    The version of FP I have doesn't support header tags ( &lt;h1&gt;, &lt;h2&gt;,...) at all. That's stupid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must have 98 I guess as I have been using 2000 and that supports headers. A lot of the bad publicity about FP came from the 98 version which was apparently buggy and clumsy in lots of ways. People tried it - hated it and never went back, later versions are great IMHO. Just shows you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Good point, but I'm not using FP 98.

All I can see is where FP 2000 lets you add a header (aka caption) to a table. As far as I know, this is not the same thing as the &lt;h1&gt; header tags for text.

And I've searched through their help files and the word header within FPO always refers to adding a header to a table.

Could you tell me, in FP 2000, how to tag text as header text (where it has nothing to do with a table)?

Right click on the top toolbar and select "Formatting" you'll get a drop down box with headers down to header6. Highlight the text you want and selct the header you want, it'll set it according to your template/theme or web default. It can then be individually further formatted if required.

Thanks for your help!
    I'll check it out later today.

I realize this is quite rude but the users of FP who can't figure out how to do &lt;H1&gt; tags or get to the code view are a bigger reason it has a bad rap than anything in the actual program.

Would only be rude to me - cuz I asked - and I take no offense because I use both the WYSIWYG pane and the HTML pane and fully know how to code HTML by hand including "Header" tags - they're on my sites - added them through the HTML pane. I just didn't know the shortcut to do it from the WYSIWYG view in FP. Why? Cuz their help files are written and indexed so poorly and because of their absurd choice of terminology used. Now that's rude (of them)!

Paul is right - you do mark text as header text (&lt;h1&gt;, ...) by dropping down the Style box on the formatting toolbar... but searching their help files, does NOT reveal this at all.

I wish FrontPage help was this simple:

Tag: FP Name / Real Name / Use / Implemented by (location, method)
    &lt;head&gt;&lt;/head&gt; W / X / Y / Z
    &lt;h1&gt;&lt;/h1&gt;… &lt;/h6&gt; W / X / Y / Z
    &lt;caption&gt;&lt;/caption&gt; W / X / Y / Z
    &lt;th&gt;&lt;/th&gt; W / X / Y / Z

Where:
    W = what FrontPage calls it… (since they don’t conform with W3C naming - I found 4 different terms they HTML tag names against convention.)
    X = name according to W3C
    Y = what it is, what it does and what it means to search engines and visitors.
    Z = how FP implements it

They use head, header and heading interchangeably throughout their help files and there are instances where they are mistaken and/or not clear. They also refer to &lt;h1&gt; as “Heading text” – which is wrong – the h1-h6 tag is a “header” tag. They index header as the table caption ("&lt;caption&gt;") instead. And they don’t index “heading” at all. They also index “header” and associate it with shared borders – and they say a shared border is analogous to a “header” or “footer” – this analogy doesn’t help web developers, even beginning ones IMHO.

So my friend, because header, heading and head are common terms - and because both FP 2000 and 2002 are indexed and cross-referenced so poorly - I was unable to find out how FP WYSIWYG view can be used to quickly add it view toolbar or button.

Why name things contrary to worldwide conventions (and index them in help that way, or not at all)? Maybe because the developers of FP are not webmasters and it's just oversight in this 3rd major revision to FP.

Their abandonment of webmasters (anyone making more than a personal site imho), by ignorantly leaving off correct labeling of tags, help files for them and mention of their SUPREME importance to Search Engines - that makes people hate FrontPage. When it's twisted and you're left feeling stupid and less effectively indexed than your competitors - where they've put you at a disadvantage, the question remains... why?

I'm glad I know how to code by hand. I do use FrontPage and frankly I like the product a lot. Makes it simple to preview things, making tables is easy, lots of training on the market for the product, always connects to sites I point it at/to and a lot more. But when I need to learn something new - like the question I asked Paul about header tags - I'm infuriated at how hard it is to find an answer within FP.

I'm not sure if you have ever checked out Namo but it's a pretty robust package and you can get a free trial download.. Amazon has it right now for $79 ( 20 less than normal )..

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread