Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question If You Had a Million Dollars
    Friday's Jackpot in the Georgia Lottery is $168 million. As I reflect on plans and strategery for 2011, it makes me wonder.

What would you do if you won the lottery and carved out a million dollars to invest in affiliate marketing?

Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Great question. That kind of money would probably buy me the time that I need to work on my projects. I would probably spend more on outsourcing the heavy lifting - mainly in the coding department. I would definitely spend more money on hosting my own sites on my own servers. It would be nice to have a bullet-proof hosting platform of my own!

Well the first this I would do is move my office to sunny beach and have some one bring me drinks while I was updating my sites.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Well the first this I would do is move my office to sunny beach and have some one bring me drinks while I was updating my sites.
    Don't you have beaches in Canada?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Yes but my 20 year old girl friend(s) would get very very cold today wearing that bathing suit

You said 168 Million right?? That may help me get that 20 year old, I will still have $84 Million after my wife takes her half!!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I would invest the Mill into learning more, get more conversions etc. Sorta like investing into my marketing strategy.

Yes but my 20 year old girl friend(s) would get very very cold today wearing that bathing suit

You said 168 Million right?? That may help me get that 20 year old, I will still have $84 Million after my wife takes her half!!!
    Don't forget taxes.
    Greg Hoffman

In Canada we do NOT have to pay taxes on lottery winnings!!!

Anyway it does not matther, my wife just told me even with 86 Million, I would still have problems finding a 20 year old

What would you do if you won the lottery and carved out a million dollars to invest in affiliate marketing?
    Not if, but..., When I win the lottery, I may invest a million dollars in affiliate marketing, by hiring other people to do the miscellaneous stuff of this business...

My ideas, my money, my way!

I used to think the same thing when I was your age, now I would find 40+ girl friend(s), that already know what they want in life... You can keep looking for those 20 year old gold diggers...

Anyway it does not matther, my wife just told me even with 86 Million, I would still have problems finding a 20 year old
    Your wife sounds like a very smart woman!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I don't think its a good question, I think its a silly question.

If I had won $168 Million, why would I waste a million in affiliate marketing, I'd continue what I was doing. A million invested in my sites wouldn't make me happy since I wouldn't be doing it, I would be paying someone else to make the sites 'better'.

On the other hand if I received a million, then I would stop worrying (which I rarely do) that I might need to get a 'real' job if this affiliate marketing thing dries up b/c of a circumstance beyond my control such as parasites and/or tax laws.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

If I had won $168 Million, why would I waste a million in affiliate marketing
    BINGO!

If I won a million, i wouldn't even care about affiliate marketing. Not that I'm involved that much anymore since my offline job keeps me busy. But I'd leave either/or if I won millions.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

For me, I would look to see what other sites did with their windfalls. Cafemom got a $5 million dollar investment and then a $12 million dollar investment. What did they do with that money that allowed them to become the number 1 destination for moms?

I know they hired a lot of staff to code, manage and create the content on the site, but how did they get so many users so fast?
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    For me, I would look to see what other sites did with their windfalls. Cafemom got a $5 million dollar investment and then a $12 million dollar investment. What did they do with that money that allowed them to become the number 1 destination for moms?

I know they hired a lot of staff to code, manage and create the content on the site, but how did they get so many users so fast?
    That's what I'm talking about. I wouldn't walk away from what I love doing professionally, I would find ways to make it better! I wouldn't blow the windfall on whiskey and women and end up in a ditch in Bangkok with no money or clothes. I want to make an impact and create a legacy.

So give me some good ideas and maybe I'll share when I win tonight..
    Greg Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    I wouldn't blow the windfall on whiskey and women and end up in a ditch in Bangkok with no money or clothes.
    I really wish people would stop bringing that up. It was a long time ago and I had a sugar imbalance. Jeez, you make one mistake...

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    I really wish people would stop bringing that up. It was a long time ago and I had a sugar imbalance. Jeez, you make one mistake...

-rematt
    At least you lived through the ordeal and have changed your ways.
    Greg Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    At least you lived through the ordeal and have changed your ways.
    It was that night that convinced me to stop all/most/some/one of my bad habits.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I'm going to go buy my tickets.
    Greg Hoffman

http and a telephoto
    So here's my story, I'm a little sappy tonight so bear with me Way back when I was a single mom of teens the lottery started being pretty hefty now and then. So when it got really high we would play a few dollars and talk about what we would do with the money if we won:

Don't tell our friends (which like now are far flung around the country, back then mostly east coast) - then surprise them by having a limo show up at their houses and take them to a plane that brought them to a party catered by Emeril Legasse, probably in NYC since that was where he filmed his show. They wouldn't need to pack because we would have them in a nice hotel with everything they needed.

Next we would create a foundation that would fund several projects:
    Research into their own medical condition (Spinal Muscular Atrophy)
    Research into cancer treatment and cures (My sister died of lung cancer - very quickly)
    Scholarships for young writers and actors to go to good schools and get grants for writing

Since Dan was a writer and Chris an actor, we needed a completely handicapped accessible home in NYC and LA, with lots of room for friends to stay with them.

And finally buy a private plane that accommodated them to sit in their wheelchairs during flight so they could fly cross country easily without their equipment being damaged by baggage handlers and waiting for literally an hour or more after a plane landed to get their wheelchairs brought to them. Ideally their custom van could fit in the hold of the plane so we had transportation at the other end.

Would I give up working? No. I would always be a photographer and an educator. I would have also been the person managing the foundation.

Since the boys are gone, I would now just want to create a foundation to fund the projects that the boys believed in, put Liz in charge and spend my time helping small businesses, mostly artists and photographers, get started. Many times I've been told I should create the next great POD (Print on Demand) company. But I think that would take more than 168 million.

My Christmas wish is for someone that will be able to appreciate and enjoy that amount of money win it. Too many people become instant millionaires and are paupers again just a few years later.

I expanded on this a bit more at my personal blog:
    http://deborahcarney.com/newsandview...-would-you-do/
    Last edited by loxly; December 25th, 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: added link to personal blog
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

If I had that much.

I would have stopped working and started investing

I sure as hell would not invest that kind of money in affiliate marketing. High risk low return on $168 million, All to advertise other people businesses? No thanks..

I would make my own businesses and let other people run around and advertise them.
    Last edited by zire; December 25th, 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

I would probably do some sort of affiliate marketing on the side. However, my real passion is teaching, so I would somehow dedicate my time to that.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_mayhem View Post
    if i had that much.

I would have stopped working and started investing :d
    +1 :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I didn't win. But now its up to $196 million...
    Greg Hoffman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast