What comes first???
    Hi all,

My first post here.

I have a few other Wordpress-based blogs/sites but affiliate marketin has always had an appeal as the few banners I currently feature brng in steady pennies. I thought the next thing would be to do a site and really go for an affiliate income in a more systematic way.

I am considering a site with reviews, offers, sign-up etc, backed-up with regular article,s tips etc.

My question is really which comes first....the site...or the affiliates. Is there a customary way of doing this. It seems to me that most of the affiliates need you to have a site ready-to-go.

Any - and I do mean ANY - advice most gratefully received

Thank you

Charlotte

This is more a "preference" question. Some affiliates build out the site first, if it's a content site, and then add in merchants (I'm assuming this is what you mean). Others may build a site around a merchant, or a few select ones, and will have the merchants picked out and been approved before the site is done.

The answer may be more up to the merchants themselves if they don't auto approve. They may want to see a site that's a fit for their products/services before they approve you.

You could build some, add some relevant merchants, build some more, etc. It can also depend on how big you plan the site to be. If the site will be huge, you may not want to wait until it's done to add merchants but rather add them when you add to the site.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

So I'm in the midst of doing this myself actually. I have a niche site that I've been cultivating for a few years now. At some point in the past, I experimented with adsense/affiliate stuff and flopped. Once traffic started coming, I began looking at it again and had a bit more success. At what point the adsense/affiliate stuff would've started working, I don't know, but it takes a lot of traffic to see any point in pursuing the ads. at least for me.

So now I'm at a point where if I can replicate the one site 5 or 6 times over, I'm set for life. Now I never meant to monetize my primary site from the onset, so there are a lot of things I did wrong and going forward, I know I can do better if given the opportunity, so I started cranking out sites solely for affiliates.

I'm using my primary site's affiliations to power my money sites (and I use the term money loosely). I'm under the impression that the PID (in CJ terms) isn't all that important. Anyway, I could simply just add the new sites to CJ and use their PIDs since they'll have immediate access to all of my existing affiliations anyway. In my case, I have no need to separate out the PIDs, so I just didn't bother adding them as separate sites.

Now if you don't have a site at all, or its barebones, getting some affiliates could be a challenge. Some auto-accept or auto-deny based on performance and site location/categorization, but even if you get denied, you can (usually) appeal to the affiliate manager. It all sort of depends on who you're trying to align yourself with.

But all that aside, my biggest challenges with the 100% affiliate sites is traffic. It's frustrating to have one site that does well over 150,000 visits a month and then trying to reproduce any element of success with sites that see 100 visitors a month if I'm lucky.

Just a little clarification. It sounds like a little thing, but it's important to keep definitions straight for the sake of a helpful conversation:

"affiliates" are those of us also called "publishers" or "site owners," etc., and we build links on our site to MERCHANTS.

"merchants" are those actual businesses we affiliates "affiliate" with.

The importance is this: Generally speaking, "affiliates" are not "merchants." So when Charlotte asks the question, "My question is really which comes first....the site...or the affiliates," it's difficult to know exactly what she's asking.

Greg probably was very helpful and accurate in his response -- assuming Charlotte is asking about finding "merchants" with whom she can be an affiliate.

Just my 2 cents, trying to keep the discussion clear. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Thank you all for these replies! This is really useful stuff for me. This is a plan in its very early stages, and needs a lot of thinking about. Good to be able to draw on your experience.

I do apologise for my vague/misleading terminology.

Charlotte

Wink I have an answer for you
    It wouldn't make sense for you to ask this question if you were a merchant. BAsically, it sounds like after your domain aged and you had plenty of content and steady traffic, your number of clicks went up. You want to know how to repeat this.
    If you are starting from scratch, I suggest making a decision on what topic or niche you want to focus your site on. Do some keyword research so that you are not building a site for your health. You want high search volume and medium competition. Check to make sure you're not competing with authority sites for all of your keywords. Build your content, then throw in your affiliate links. If you start with just affiliate links, your chances of things looking natural are slim. Then focus on driving traffic.

Just a word of advice. From the sounds of it, your first site is bringing in some heavy traffic. You may already be sending people to merchants outside of your adsense links. I suggest signing up for a service like viglink and install the plug-in. This way if you are sending people to merchants, you can still get paid without joining the affiliate program.

Chicken or Egg?
    I would say build your site first; if you have content you can do anything with it. Article marketing is a good place to start and perfect one technique before you move to the next. Obviously in order to have content you must have a product. The clarification is great - thanks to Writerguy. Keep an eye on competition and see what they are doing. I am quite new and am getting great advice on this fantastic forum, so also, tap into the forums and often! Good luck Charlotte!

Article marketing really works?!
    Quote Originally Posted by DiBond View Post
    I would say build your site first; if you have content you can do anything with it. Article marketing is a good place to start and perfect one technique before you move to the next. Obviously in order to have content you must have a product. The clarification is great - thanks to Writerguy. Keep an eye on competition and see what they are doing. I am quite new and am getting great advice on this fantastic forum, so also, tap into the forums and often! Good luck Charlotte!
    DiBond, this is interesting to me. I'm not a great writer, but I can do it pretty well and I have a lot of experience and contacts in my niche in which I can use to come up with content. So, being someone who's had success with article marketing, I have a question for you (or anyone really):

Do you simply write the articles, post them at the various article sites and sit back and wait? I'm confused as to exactly how to utilize it.

Thanks everyone :-)

Chris

I would build my site first, build my backlinks, write articles, come up with good content, if you have trouble writing you can always hire someone to do it for you. think of it this way you're not going to make any sales if your site isn't ready.

Hi Charlotte,

The first thing is to have a niche that does well for you. You should find out by writing articles, selling product etc. Once you have gained experience you will know better how to market it and so if you branch into your own product you can provide value and experience to affiliates that you work with.

Let's look at all the people who start make money online sites with 0 experience. Do they make any money. Rarely because the don't know what they are doing.

Before adding affiliates etc. get a good grasp and experience in the market you are in.

i think 1st is site then the affiliate ads. site content must have to be relevant to the ads.
    but if you are focused only to earn money then a few quality content will be enough to attract people. then do pure SEO to drive people to your site. it will be enough to earn you a lot of money if you place the affiliate offer in your site.

You have to select your destination first. what type of site do you want to make? Only affiliate site which will only be used for selling products? or a site which will be used for helping other people and also publishing adsense or other ads too? If first one then you don't need to have a very high qwuality site. just a simple site with some quality contents will be enough. your main job is to redirect the visitors to the offers. But for the second one you have to built a good site with enough quality contents. In both you need the site first and then the ads.
    Thanks...

Once you have site to promote your affiliates it is more likely, you have a web identity where you can customize your marketing techniques. I would recommend doing the affiliate marketing with your own site where you can put quality sales pages and drive more sales.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread