Domain Squatters - How to evict them?
    Ok, so I purchased a domain on December 19th. I got confirmation emails and everything. I've been working with my hosting company almost every other day (minus the holidays) to find out what was going on. Today, as normal, I opened up my web browser with a bad attitude and lo and behold, someone else's website is on my highly optimized domain name. So I opened a chat window as normal to complain to my hosting company/registrar and my hosting company is working the issue ~can't say that I'm confident about that~

I guess my question is: has anyone had this issue and what was the outcome?

Wait, so you registered a domain name, paid for it, got the confirmation. But, now you don't own the name? Someone else does and put a website up? I'm confused. But it doesn't sound like domain squatting. Sounds like whoever you registered the name with f*&* up.

Who does the whois directory say is the owner?
    Last edited by gcarson; December 28th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.

This does not make any sense, can you modify the DNS Setiing for the domain name?? Is your host and domain register the same company?? Do you have other sites and have experience with setting up websites??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Here's the follow up
    Ok, so here is the follow up:

I opened up the chat (again, with an attitude problem) and they sent a support ticket around til Kindom come.

I have one thing to say before I post my email: I SMELL A RAT!

I got confirmation emails on the 19th saying that my purchase was complete. I even have the order number. Some time between the 19th and the 24th, someone voided the purchase and the domain was register by someone else on the 26th.

Here is the last few emails:

Email 1:

This is a support ticket for an issue escalated from a chat or phone call

Primary Domain: -REMOVED-

Affected URL: -REMOVED-

Description of Issue: We are investigating the issues with your domain registration for -REMOVED- . We apologize for the wait and promise to be back with you as soon as possible. Thank you for your continued patience.

Steps to Reproduce: View the information at http://intodns.com/*******

The customer purchased this domain on the 19th from us.

Additional Info: n/a

Sincerely,

-REMOVED-

Email 2:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your concern and we apologize for any inconvenience for these issues. I have created a ticket at this time with our current registrar eNom to find out more answers to this issue and to get a resolution. We will contact you, once we hear back from them on this issue. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

-REMOVED

Email 3:

Hello,

The following is the reply we have received from eNom, verbatim;

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting eNom technical support.

The order was voided and not put through.

If you have questions about this matter I can forward this ticket to Risk Management."

I have already requested that they forward this ticket to Risk Management, so we can see what needs to be done to resolve this matter. As soon as we have received a further update from eNom, we will reply back to you to relay any information they provide.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

-REMOVED-

Email 4:

Hello,

The following is the reply we have received from eNom, verbatim;

"Hello,

I have forward this to our Risk management team.

They should be with your shortly."

As soon as we have received a further update from eNom, we will reply back to you to relay any information they provide. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

-REMOVED-

The Big Question:

When do domain purchases spontaneously become voided?

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Wait, so you registered a domain name, paid for it, got the confirmation. But, now you don't own the name? Someone else does and put a website up? I'm confused. But it doesn't sound like domain squatting. Sounds like whoever you registered the name with f*&* up.

Who does the whois directory say is the owner?
    You hit the nail on the head. I paid for a domain name and some one else purchased it days later. Yes these people screwed up big time. I'm not giving this up without a fight.

There is nothing you can do except ask for your money back (or perhaps you already have it, since the sale was voided). There are many registrars, with varying levels of skills (and prices often inversely proportional to those skills). That's why I pay for Network Solutions.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

Who did you register the domain through? It looks like you went through someone to get to eNom? Why didn't you go through Godaddy, eNom, or someone else directly?

Quote Originally Posted by shuvee View Post
    There is nothing you can do except ask for your money back (or perhaps you already have it, since the sale was voided). There are many registrars, with varying levels of skills (and prices often inversely proportional to those skills). That's why I pay for Network Solutions.
    Agreed. The choice of so-called registrars is astounding. NetSol was the first and is still good, but rather expensive for folks with a lot of domains. I have used eNom for years and have never had a problem, but it appears that InfoScout is using a reseller of enom - and may not have something set up perfectly with their API or whichever reseller system they are using. (I also have domain accounts with Moniker, GoDaddy and a couple others)

My personal rule is to always use one of the major registrars - directly - never through a reseller. And to have my domains spread among a couple of them (so as to NOT have all my domains in one domain-basket).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

register
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Who did you register the domain through? It looks like you went through someone to get to eNom? Why didn't you go through Godaddy, eNom, or someone else directly?
    Until today, I used Hostgator for everything. Hostgator works with Registry Rocket. I'm in the process of transferring my domains to Godaddy and I'm hosting with dot5 since I already had a few domains with them. I won't have to pay any extra for the hosting.

Lesson Learned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Agreed. The choice of so-called registrars is astounding. NetSol was the first and is still good, but rather expensive for folks with a lot of domains. I have used eNom for years and have never had a problem, but it appears that InfoScout is using a reseller of enom - and may not have something set up perfectly with their API or whichever reseller system they are using. (I also have domain accounts with Moniker, GoDaddy and a couple others)

My personal rule is to always use one of the major registrars - directly - never through a reseller. And to have my domains spread among a couple of them (so as to NOT have all my domains in one domain-basket).
    I assumed that Hostgator wouldn't use a second class registrar, but lesson learned.

Oh and that $15, I haven't got it back yet. I'm praying for a miracle.

Anyone can be a reseller through RegistryRocket, even you or me. See here.

Dot5, eh? i don't know anything at all about them, good or bad, However, be VERY careful of a host that promises UNLIMITED SPACE and UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH for five bucks a month. "Caveat emptor" and all that. Also, it is never a good idea to use the same place to host and register. (There are a few threads around here about that.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    it is never a good idea to use the same place to host and register.
    uh huh. and I would like to pick up the nice VPS offer from one of my registrars, but . . . no!

to be honest, I don't really see a runaround here per se. apparently eNom was unable to complete the transaction for whatever reason and at this point it's just a matter of finding out why.

do you know for certain a third party owns the domain currently? do they have their own site on it? or is it just a bunch of ads?

even the WHOIS may not be that obvious. most of the registrars, especially those involved in domain catching services, have dozens (if not more) affiliated registrars who could be holding the domain.

honestly, for what it's worth, which isn't much I know, I used to be a customer of hostgator and adored them. so unless things have changed, i wouldn't be too quick to discredit them. Without knowing the actual domain in question (which you obviously aren't at liberty to share here in the forum), there isn't really much that can be suggested other than waiting it out and seeing what eNom says.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    There is a lot of funny business in the domain industry. This may be caused by someones program. It looks for newly registered domains, then looks for ones that drop for some reason like payment /credit card problem/fraud verification, then registers any that are .coms under a certain character length and seem like real words.

They know that there is a x.x% of those people that will pay $500 or $1000 for that domain if it is snatched up.

If you really love it you might check it in one year, it might drop.

Or find another better domain and register directly.

Per se
    Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    to be honest, I don't really see a runaround here per se. apparently eNom was unable to complete the transaction for whatever reason and at this point it's just a matter of finding out why.

do you know for certain a third party owns the domain currently? do they have their own site on it? or is it just a bunch of ads?

even the WHOIS may not be that obvious. most of the registrars, especially those involved in domain catching services, have dozens (if not more) affiliated registrars who could be holding the domain.

honestly, for what it's worth, which isn't much I know, I used to be a customer of hostgator and adored them. so unless things have changed, i wouldn't be too quick to discredit them. Without knowing the actual domain in question (which you obviously aren't at liberty to share here in the forum), there isn't really much that can be suggested other than waiting it out and seeing what eNom says.
    No it's not the run around "per se" but it's not exactly good business. I haven't completely discredited host gator, but their relationship with registry rocket who's relationship with eNom just cost me some time and time is money especially when you're looking at competitive markets and highly optimized domain names. That was my fault for not thinking that one through. But seriously, why be the middle man of the middle man?

Out of 80 websites, this is the first time I have ever heard of a purchase being voided. I made two other purchases that day and those purchases were not voided. I learned a valuable lesson. Convenience is not exactly an option. Next time, a little extra time securing my Internet foothold. I'll go directly to the registrar, put in my dns information and be about my virtual way.
    To answer the second question, someone actually purchased the domain a few days after I had contacted Hostgator when I noticed that I was having issues. So right now, I'm trying to find out what happened and why. If they felt that there was some fraudulent activity, why wasn't I contacted? Why was I still charged the money? I hate to whine over $15 but hey, that could be going into another domain name right now.

Through it all, I'm just extremely aggravated at the situation. I just take it as a lesson learned. I do give Hostgator some credit. They send me an email every time there is a change. It just sucks that they are the middle-middle man...

I agree with you on all points there. In my experience, registrars are the shadiest level in the business (with exception to bad players on all levels). Lord knows I despise EuroDNS. I've also heard really bad things about GoDaddy in terms of transferring domains away from them (and I have to say I believe it), but they're primarily the only ones I use in terms of registration and I've been good so far (don't really see why I'd want to transfer a domain unless I sold it). Even for domain catching, I use them sometimes unless it's going to be competitive in which case I look elsewhere.

Sounds like the domain won't work in your favor and it would definitely be in HG's best interest to return your money just from a business prospective, but I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it either until eNom comes back with a response.

worst case, dispute the charge through your credit card company or whomever you paid it through
    Last edited by bradk; December 30th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

http and a telephoto
    The one thing no one has mentioned is that you may have purchases at the same time as someone else and their order was after you added to cart but before you checked out. I use Enom directly, have for a lot of years without problems. But I have a reseller account, so I don't have middle man issues.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    The one thing no one has mentioned is that you may have purchases at the same time as someone else and their order was after you added to cart but before you checked out.
    Definitely not the case, because it was registered a week after he did:

Quote Originally Posted by InfoScout View Post
    I got confirmation emails on the 19th saying that my purchase was complete. I even have the order number. Some time between the 19th and the 24th, someone voided the purchase and the domain was register by someone else on the 26th.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its not about the $15 its about the lost opportunity. I will never use Network Solutions because for years they sent me letters saying my domains were ready to expire and all I had to do was fill in my credit card info to renew by mail. I never purchased a domain through Network Solutions and at the time managed over 350 domains. I have used Bulk Register for 10 years and pay the higher rate of $15 per domain because of confidence and ease of use.

I would get on the phone and make some noise with all parties including your credit card company. A company can lose their merchant account from a few complaints.

I highly recommend contacting Graham MacRobie at Alias Encore, Inc. past president of CitizenHawk. He knows the inner workings of ICANN who has the final say on domains and fights typosquatters for merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Its not about the $15 its about the lost opportunity.
    Thank You! That is exactly right.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread