Affiliate marketing using Facebook
    Hi Everyone,

I am an Affiliate manger for a big internet startup and I was trying to promote our Affiliate program via relevant FB groups. I approached the admins asking to send personal messages to their group member.

I have to say I was surprised by the high level of response from the admins and the group members.
    Unfortunately the results were poor, low conversion rates and almost no upgrades (that we pay commission for)

Does anyone have similar experience with this kind of action?

I would love if someone could shade a light on this matter.
    Thank you guys and have a great new year.

I'm not a merchant, nor an affiliate manager -- just a common old affiliate. But here's my thinking.

People who use FB are in no way interested in actually shopping and buying -- and most of them probably haven't a clue of what an affiliate program is.

FB users are chatters, socializers, gossipers, etc. But very, very few of them are on FB with a doing-business or buying-products mindset.

Perhaps Vinny and loxly will come along and comment, as I think they've had some success using FB and Twitter for business purposes. They certainly are far more qualified to speak to the issues than I.
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks for your reply,

I think that what you said is totally right, on top of that I believe that people are curious from birth...

I choose the groups that where in high relevance to to the product.
    The term Affiliates Program was never mentioned, It doesn't matter how you call it as long as there is something valuable in it for the user.
    Another strength of this method is that the recommendation for the tool comes from a man you trust - the admin of the group that you chose to join.

But still - no results.

I would love to hear more feedback...

http and a telephoto
    Facebook is good for traffic and relationship building. Facebook isn't however very good for sales in general.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I have had decent luck with some really targeted FB groups that were dropping product links at the end of status updates. Your results may vary. If the ads are delivered in a spammy way, they will most likely be ignored or have backlash. If they are handled in a way that supports the content and the group is active, they can be great.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

http and a telephoto
    There ya go - Wade has some conversions to share. I haven't delved that much into groups, but have attempted some Facebook advertising, and have a client that spends a LOT of time of Facebook in her fan page and her profile page. She'd great at PR but not so much at getting the right links out there. She has seen sales though.

Like Wade said, it has to be presented just right, and unlike a forum, information from a Facebook group admin doesn't carry much more weight than any other member. Many times people may not even know who is the admin. And Facebook messaging system, most of us delete those as soon as they look "salesy".

Are you looking to get affiliates to promote your program using Facebook Groups? I am not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I think aside from relevance (which it sounds like you're targeting) it also needs to seem organic. I know some people who do really well using FB, but it's because what they are talking about/promoting is very organic and doesn't feel like an intrusion to the community. As others have said, it's all in the presentation.

Loxly brings up a great point about relationships and the role of the admin in groups on Facebook. Are they (the admins) the most active member of the group? If not, you might look at the strong relationships that have been built in the group and work with those individuals. Or see what people are looking to the group to provide them with.
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    Head of Affiliate Marketing- Zoro.com
    affiliate@zoro.com

Join the groups, participate in the discussions, and treat it just like a forum. ~Affiliate talking

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Feedback I get from merchants is that engagement makes the difference. If you are promoting new products to a fan page or talking about the latest features you will get interest. First you have to build the following then you can offer either new products, discounts or giveaways. One merchant added Facebook to their affiliate department after the department showed they could generate sales. It took about 1200 fans to get the synergy going then the fans took over the conversation. Then they would pitch a coupon code via FB and see sales in 45 minutes. Since they couldn't track as an affiliate they used other methods and management told them to go ahead.

Talking to successful social marketers who use primarily Facebook and Twitter you have to have a minimum frequency. The industry is seeing some interesting things with Groupon which is somewhat social but people don't go there to socialize like Facebook. I think Groupon missed an opportunity by not selling to Google, we will see in the next year.

Another thing I am hearing is the integration of the FB "Like" button in Google where you can see what your friends like before you make a purchase decision.

Can anyone point me to a good, clear understanding of what FB "Fan Pages" are and how to create and use them?

FB has long been a mystery to me. I've had an account for a few years and generally spend very little time on FB because it always seems so slapped-together confusing to me. I'm not sure why the interface is so "off-putting" to me.

But I've heard several here and on other marketing forums speak of creating FB Fan Pages and somehow using them to gain traffic to their affiliate sites.

Anyone know of a good, clear explanation and good how-to directions for creating Fan Pages?

Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    The guy I have success with has a very large group - over 1,000,000 and he interacts with them multiple times per day. He always leads with his content and follows with a sponsor message that is very well targeted to his audience.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Can anyone point me to a good, clear understanding of what FB "Fan Pages" are and how to create and use them?

FB has long been a mystery to me. I've had an account for a few years and generally spend very little time on FB because it always seems so slapped-together confusing to me. I'm not sure why the interface is so "off-putting" to me.

But I've heard several here and on other marketing forums speak of creating FB Fan Pages and somehow using them to gain traffic to their affiliate sites.

Anyone know of a good, clear explanation and good how-to directions for creating Fan Pages?

Thanks.
    See Fan Pages vs. Groups in Facebook

Fan Pages are generally better. You can even advertise them within FB but you might (probably) go broke doing so.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; December 31st, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    Are you looking to get affiliates to promote your program using Facebook Groups? I am not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do.
    That's exactly what I am trying to do.
    The goal is to find big, relevant, active groups and to get the admins to send their members a personal message recommending our product with the affiliate link attached.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitan Avni View Post
    That's exactly what I am trying to do.
    The goal is to find big, relevant, active groups and to get the admins to send their members a personal message recommending our product with the affiliate link attached.
    Rather than send out an obvious obnoxious advertisement, why not participate in the group, develop a relationship with the members and over time mention your product? Then after you have a relationship with the group hop right to the full blown ad sent to the group from the admin. You wouldn't drop an advertisement in the middle of a sermon in church. You visit the church, get involved and then you developed a relationship with the members so they don't mind bringing up their fellow members' business venture during their meetings and mingling time. (Just to keep the records straight, I do no go to church to promote my products. I'm really not feeling Hell now-a-days.)

Thank you guys for all the great tips

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post

Thanks.
    Here's a good article I have bookmarked with tips & tricks for customizing Facebook fan pages:
    Facebook Fan Page Customization: Tips, Tricks, Applications - tripwire magazine

Could Possibly Help
    For Facebook I would def suggest relationship building first. Don't think Sell, think How Can I Enrich the lives of these Facebookers. Give give give, get that relationship going and then they will eat out of your hand later.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread