Super Affiliate verticals
    This is probably a typical noobie question, but I am curious if there are any statistics regarding what verticals super affiliates are in? There is a method to my madness, but I am interested if there are any whitepapers or industry studies that provide that data along with what promotional/SEO tactics they use most successfully. I have been in conventional sales and marketing for many years prior to 2000 on Wall Street and am now venturing into the online version of that world through affiliate marketing which I find fascinating. One thing I have always found to be true... Find out what the most successful people in an industry are doing and why. Then use that as the foundation/guide to build your own operation. (Notice I did not say, "Copy it"). Reading the posts here on ABW is very helpful, but stats and data can be helpful too if used correctly.

Thanks.

This is a great question, and something I've been wondering as well....

I don't think you will find the stats you're looking for - most super affiliates are privately-owned, and would likely keep this info to themselves.

Especially which promotional/SEO tactics have worked best... frankly there is no benefit to sharing. Opportunities exist in both PPC & traditional SEO, and if I found an opening, it would be detrimental to share.

Personally I would also never release details of conversion stats - technology makes it very easy for someone to copy, and online success is all about timing.

As for the industry in general, Internet Retailer produces an annual report that you might find helpful: Top 500 Guide - Internet Retailer

Teezone
    Teezone - Thanks for the reply. Actually, pointing me to Online Retailer should be helpful.
    The method to my madness on this question is if I know what the various verticals the super affiliates tend to be in, I can break those verticals down into characteristics then scatter-gram the verticals to the characteristics and vector that with the niches that I am looking to go into to determine compliance and variance.
    This is pretty standard market comparison analysis IF you can get the data. I doubt very highly that many if any super affiliates are in the first vertical that I will be doing (Food & Beverage).
    Anyway, right now I am battling with trying to get the website built. Determining domains is a snap. Selecting the host wasn't too difficult. Now it's trying to figure out the design and building tools like SBI, WordPress, Pagelines' Platform for WordPress, SiteCube, Trendy, Site Builder etc. as a non-webtech who insists on finding a way to get the sites up without having to pay a web designer and needs it done yesterday. I don't expect much... just the impossible. 45 days ago I had never heard of "affiliate marketing". Now I'm spending 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to ramp up with a learning curve that will continue to go straight up for the foreseeable future. There is no pre-defined path to success in this sector; but I am learning that their are certain "Best Practices" and truths which need to be understood.

In the month and a half that I have immersed myself in this industry, I see an industry that is like its age, ~14. Like an adolescent it shows great promise but I also see an impetuousness that is the mark of immaturity in a young but rapidly growing sub-sector of S&M. This is reflected in the merchants, networks and affiliates alike. Like teenagers, affiliate marketing has its "colorful" side which makes it alive and interesting versus the more stoic traditional forms. But it is, at the same time, slippery and hard to get a hold of which is largely due to the ever rapidly changing nature of the online environment as a whole. Nothing demonstrates this more than the most disruptive and off-balance nature of social media technology and its effect on marketing. I find it interesting that in my experience in going through Facebook, Twitter, email and even cell phones that so many people can talk soooo much and say so little. And yet, it all seems to work. Damn I'm getting old.

Sorry, got waaaay off topic there after the third paragraph. Just one newbie's perspective. Thanks again for the pointer.

Sounds like you're on the right path... been through all of that myself (name, host, platform, etc), and although I've been at this full-time for a couple of years now, there always seems to be something new.

Personally I haven't embraced social networking for my sites - I let others do that for me, ie. if the site is interesting enough, they will share with friends! But other affiliates have maximized their presence in social media. Each to his own - what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa...

I also understand the offline world of numbers, as my previous career was in the investment world, analytics to be exact. There was no number that couldn't be justified somehow - performance attribution & measurement was an achievable goal.

But affiliate marketing is very different - you don't have the luxury of speaking to your visitors, and as a result, success can come from the most unexpected places. The pace is also quite frightening, but if you can adapt quickly, that becomes an opportunity as well.

At the end of the day, it's like every other business - the 'get rich quick' mentality doesn't work. We all have to spend time learning, stay focused, and determine what works best on our own sites!

Sounds like you are on your way to becoming an affiliate, Good for you and hope I can help also. First thing I would like to address is

I doubt very highly that many if any super affiliates are in the first vertical that I will be doing (Food & Beverage).
    There may be a very good reason there are no super affiliates in this niche. (actually there are but you don't see it) Maybe the niche you are choosing only pays 3% to 4% on sales and most products are $30. Not exactly a place a super affiliate will spent their time.

Super affiliates work smart and it seems like you are on the right path. Don't expect super affiliates to show you what they are doing.
    Last edited by Vinny O'Hare; December 30th, 2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typos
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    Super affiliates work smart and it seems like you are on the right path. Don't expect super affiliates to show you what they are doing.
    I agree, it took me over a year of spinning my wheels trying to figure out this madness. No one one is going to give you all of the pieces. No one wants to saturate their markets, jeopardize their stronghold or mold their competition.

Infoscout - I spent three years in what I call "doing it wrong mode". The lessons that I learned are invaluable to anything I do online today.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thank you all for the input and encouragement. I don't expect super affiliates to expose their secrets, but sometimes there are industry studies done by research houses that gather information from anonymous but verified sources for statistical and analytical purposes so as to "take the temperature" of that industry and provide periodic profile updates of that industry. Just thought that something along those lines might exist and that market characteristics for super affiliates might be able to be extrapolated from the core DB. Wishful thinking on my part and in the end not all that important.
    Though the Food/Beverage sector may not have the primary numbers that would attract many affiliates, such a view is overly simplistic. There are numerous niche market extensions for the same class of customer which I believe will provide a profitable platform. Time will tell but based upon what I have seen in this vertical, I should be able to own my niche sectors in less than a year. We'll see. I'm giving serious consideration to actually keeping a blog of this journey, mostly for my own benefit but it might be of interest to other affiliates in similar newbie status. Dunno, but I like the idea.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread