GAN & datafeeds - where does the responsibility lie?
    I have six merchant datafeeds that have been stale since October 20th.. and by stale I mean no new file has been pushed to our account. And I have been chasing this down since November.

At first I contacted the merchants, two of which informed me that no, there was no problem with their GAN datafeeds. It took a few more emails to make them realize the feeds WERE stale .. so they told me to contact GAN.

So then I contact GAN... who tells me datafeeds are the responsibility of the merchants (!)... but after more dialogue, they isolated the problems for two merchants (one had not "validated" their Merchant Center account in the GAN system so the feed was halted - the other had "no active products" in the feed which the merchant denied).

After more follow-up, one merchant indicated they have been unable to get support from GAN to fix the problem.

How the heck does one get this fixed? Six quality merchants with datafeeds from October.

I'm not looking to drop the merchants - GAN hasn't replied to my follow-up ticket from Dec 17th. Merchants tell me it's GAN, who tells me it's the merchants.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place - it's certainly not my responsibility to monitor datafeeds. My open ticket has been ignored since Dec 3rd.

Interesting. I have six feeds that have not been updated since October as well. They are:

ShoeSteal.com
    Backyard XScapes
    6Ave.com
    Andy's Auto Sport
    BeddingStyle.com
    CarParts.com
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I had a simular problem (maybe). I have GAN ftp the datafiles to my host.

I notice that one of my feeds was outdated. I contacted the merchant but they said nothing was wrong and feeds were being updated. I waited another few days and nothing. So I descded to delete the feed off my host. The next morning I had the new and updated feed!! And have been getting updated files ever since.

Maybe you could try to delete your copy if you get the feed ftp to your site.
    Last edited by kse; January 2nd, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Maybe you could try to delete your copy if you get the feed ftp to your site.
    Good suggestion, I gave it a shot again (had tried this back in November) - the problem files have not been pushed via ftp in 2 days.

Anyone from GAN available to address this..?

I have an open ticket which has been ignored - two of the merchants say GAN is at fault, and GAN tells me to contact merchants..

If feeds are fixed, we all win..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    If feeds are fixed, we all win..
    That's the crazy part!

Why would GAN or the merchant pass the buck on something like this when it means bucks for everyone? How silly. They probably don't really know the answer but it doesn't sound like they are trying very hard either.

Good luck with this

Smile
    I personally think every merchant should abandon GAN but that's my personal opionion.
    Yes, I am biased against them!

The reason:
    Not only did they boot me out of their program because I couldn't get an Adsense account, they took my measely $30+ balance.

To me that's not ethical.

Why would anyone want to do business with them.

It's sad because I think Google's other products (Other than Adsense and GAN) are terrific!

Just go directly to the merchant & get the raw datafeed off them? Saves a load of messing around imo. Then just deeplink everything.

Not all merchants allow deeplink via GAN. Plus I don't have time to build workarounds for six merchants when they are actually listed on GAN as having datafeeds (a requirement for my site).

Is there anyone here at GAN who actually cares about this issue..?

My ticket has been completely ignored.
    Last edited by teezone; January 11th, 2011 at 01:31 AM.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Interesting. I have six feeds that have not been updated since October as well. They are:

ShoeSteal.com
    Backyard XScapes
    6Ave.com
    Andy's Auto Sport
    BeddingStyle.com
    CarParts.com
    Backyard Xscapes is available on SAS.
    :coffeetim

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Datafeeds on GAN are based on Google Base. If they are not optimized and refreshed it costs them sales in Google shopping. GAN made it easy to implement feeds from the Performics spec which had 200 potential fields. One complaint I have as a merchant is that there is no indication of problems or daily report. You need to push your issues to the merchant and they need to resolve all concerns.

I would like to bump this thread...

There has been no response to my ticket with GAN - they stopped responding altogether. And merchants have no idea what I'm talking about - I've reached out directly with zero results.

These are good stores - if I wanted to drop them, I would have done that back in October.

Something is broken at GAN.. I'm not the only affiliate with stale feeds since October.

I'd still like to see them keep the Buy URL under 255 characters as well so as to stop me from having to re-work my process for individual merchants.

There's a few issues with datafeeds at GAN IMHO.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

If you would like to send me your publisher ID and specific issues/feedback, I can investigate.

Thank you,

Jamie
    jamie[at]google.com

PM sent, thanks Jamie...

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Received. Thank you!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread