Using your own aff links for purchases
    I know that Amazon strictly forbids this. And I thought it would be against the TOS for most merchants.

But after reading a variety of posts over the last few days (on different topics and different threads), several members of this forum mentioned that they use their own links (to avoid having their account with CJ terminated for non-use, was one example).

So now I'm wondering: In general, What is the policy/best practice/safe approach?
    Jeanette
    [URL="http://gringodog.com"]Gringo Dog - Pet Friendly Travel[/URL] in Mexico, Canada and the USA

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Most merchants welcome it, as they should. I could never understand a policy that prohibits it, but some merchants do. It is the exception rather than the rule, but it is best to check before making a purchases.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Merchants won't like if the only reason you have your affiliate account is to make self purchases. However most will allow test purchases or a few self purchases. High ticket items are less likely to allow self purchase, along with info or downloadables.

Like AffiliateHound said, if you are unsure, check. Merchants *should* have this in their TOS if it is not allowed.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

with Amazon.com specifically, it can lead to a form of abuse, particularly with the referral rate levels as it goes by quantity of items purchased, not amounts. So if you only need to sell 20 more items to increase your referral rate by .5% across all purchases for the month, you could simply find a cheap item and by 20 of it and take a much larger chunk out of Amazon's profits. Not that you couldn't find ways around this otherwise, but this is certainly a deterrent.

With most anyone else, I don't see any reason why they would disallow it. A sale is a sale is a sale and if they're prepared to pay you X% of it if anyone else bought it, they should be willing to do the same if you did. You don't stand to benefit beyond the commission you should have gotten anyway. In fact, it probably encourages purchases knowing you'll get money back.

Plus it's not as tightly controlled under other affiliate networks. With Amazon.com, you (presumably) have one account that acts as both the customer and the affiliate. With outsourced programs, there'd have to be additional qualifications possible to link a consumer with a CJ account, but again, I don't really see the need to.

A sale is a sale is a sale and if they're prepared to pay you X% of it if anyone else bought it, they should be willing to do the same if you did. You don't stand to benefit beyond the commission you should have gotten anyway. In fact, it probably encourages purchases knowing you'll get money back.
    That's my take on the situation - as both an affiliate and a merchant.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Excellent answers. Thank you.
    Jeanette
    [URL="http://gringodog.com"]Gringo Dog - Pet Friendly Travel[/URL] in Mexico, Canada and the USA

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread