The most used button on my remote control is the mute button.

Do the producers of TV commercials have any clue how much their ads suck?

I would pay double to have channels without advertising. I am so tired of being told I need to rejuvinate my hairs youthful vitality.

In a couple years in 1 hour of programming is going to be more then 75% commercials.

AAARRRGGGGG
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

I know what you mean.
    If they can make a "V" chip to curb violence or whatnot, why can't they make a "C" chip that automatically mutes the commercials when the volume suddenly gets louder? (Like they all do)

I'd buy one.

Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    but NO ad blockers!!!!! Had enough of those, heh.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

How can a marketer hate commercials?

Since I am in the affiliate marketing business, I have to say that TV commercials are good.

I find some TV commercials more interesting than some regular TV programs, sometimes I just watch TV at night in search of new commercials, that way I get more ideas of what is out there and how to best promote my own advertising later.

When I am watching TV and a program get interrupted by some commercials, I don't get mad, I get wiser.

I like most of the products on TV commercials, especially the ones I promote on my sites, there are some BS commercials that I don't like but, then I use that two minutes break for something more important like channel surfing for other commercials or have a snack or...
    As a last resort I get wiser. (Bob-wiser)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    IMO, the commercials are the only thing on TV worth watching! Most of the shows are just rehashed variants of crap that shouldn't have been greenlighted in the first place. Ads, on the other hand, are usually a lot more creative.

The only reason I don't see many TV ads is because the stations INSIST on filling up most of the time with their mindnumbing content (aka, "shows"). I'm always driven to shut it off!

*MY* dream TIVO would delete all the shows and leave only the ads! Except for the car ads, anyway...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I find no inspiration in tv commercials.
    The prime time ads are screaming idiocy.
    And the late night infomercials seem to be rambling hype & repetitive 'testimonials'.
    Not that I watch a lot of tv though..

as long as i can recall, the only worth watching commercials on tv is during the super bowl.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    You can't watch every commercial as they do tend to be annoying, specially their own network shows.

If your are into marketing any business you can learn allot by watching commercials. If you watch closely to the message you can actually see what is being promoted and how it could relate to your online business.

Advertising companies do this year round and they know when to promote certain products. If you start seeing commercials for winter stuff usually around this time then it's time for you to promote the same online.

Consumers sometimes will see a commercial for a new HDTV Flatscreen from Sears, well then they go online later and check prices.

Just look at it as seing what the competition is doing. You can also see some of the late night infomercials for "How to start you own online business", get some ideas.

Actually, I pick up quite a few keywords from commercials/infomercials for a specific niche that I am strong in. I figure, thousands of people see the infomercial and are sitting at their computer, some are bound to type in targetted phrases that the ads use.

Internet Cowboy
    I don't mind commercials.
    What I HATE is when I go over my macaroni minutes!!!

I think what made me start this was while watching a construction show I seecommercials that target hair care and makeup.

It is so bad that they even play the same on during 1 brake.

Talk about piss poor targeting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The prime time ads are screaming idiocy.
    And the late night infomercials seem to be rambling hype & repetitive 'testimonials'.
    Not that I watch a lot of tv though.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't watch any of the big 3 newtorks. I watch the travel channel, National Geographic, etc. Sit coms and "reality" tv sucks.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

I don't ususally get bugged by commercials but the ones I hate the most are those depicting 13 to 18 year olds that are trying to sell products to enhance, rejuvenate or enhance the appearance of women twice or three times their age.

As if getting older makes us lose our better judgement and we're supposed to believe the young girl is one of our "peers"!!!

Puuuuuleeeeeeease!
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

I think just as bad are the 60 year old women who dye their hair blond and try to look 25. The end up looking like plastic.

I simply cannot figure out what is wrong with aging. It is the most natural process in life.

I guess while I am on my soap box. I personally think that phamacutical copmanies should be banned from advertising Rx drugs in commercials. It is not up to the public to determine if they need these drugs. That is why we have doctors.

I will have to say the one commercial that irritates me is the stupid "Bob has a bigger club, and a happier wife back at the clubhouse" commercial, jeeese, they play that one so much, it just grates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I simply cannot figure out what is wrong with aging. It is the most natural process in life.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely nothing!
    but the advertisers are working hard to keep the stigma of aging in our face (pardon the pun), until we feel awkward enough about ourselves that we hesitantly try their products.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

I can't stand those Sonic Drive In ads, with the two obnoxious guys in the SUV. Ugh! I change channels immediately when those come on.

I always thought advertisers would try to use people who are likable, but I think the mindset today is to make them as annoying as possible!

The new Old Navy ad with the chick impressed with air is also horrendous. Bring back Fran Drescher, Morgan Fairchild, etc., those were better.

Andy

Not to mention keeping our kids in diapers until they are 10.

We love commercials. There are very few USA commercials worth viewing however.

Commercials that tell a story are the most popular. They are like mini movies. Of course commercials that use sex attract the most views. Sex sells
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

ABW Ambassador
    2 Years ago I purchased a ReplayTV (like Tivo with auto-commercial-skip) and expanded it to 240GB of storage (140+ Hours of video). I have almost completely moved away from watching TV real-time.

Because of that move, I see VERY few commercials and watch the programs I want WHEN I want to. Even when I watch something live, I will tune to the station, PAUSE, and make some snacks or check my email. Then after 15 minutes or so of PRODUCTIVE TIME I will resume the show. Then when the commercials come around I give 'em the big skip.

Television without my ReplayTV would realy SUCK.

Internet Cowboy
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think what made me start this was while watching a construction show I seecommercials that target hair care and makeup. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must say that around this house, the TV is on those remodeling/construction shows most of the time, and it isn't me. It is my girlfriend. Women are really diggin' those kind of shows these days.
    Maybe they are on to something with the hair and makeup ads.

ABW Ambassador
    I really hate the "Can You Hear Me Now" commercials. The ones that are great are the Sprint ones, all real good. Now they're doing a lot with kids, and the ones prior are also great.

I think a lot of people actually love commercials, they just don't realize it. Growing up in Germany where we had only 1 channel AFN (American Forces Network) with no commercials. People would really start to miss them and when they would get VHS tapes from relatives in the states, the commercials were one of the first things people would go to.

"I must say that around this house, the TV is on those remodeling/construction shows most of the time, and it isn't me. It is my girlfriend. Women are really diggin' those kind of shows these days. Maybe they are on to something with the hair and makeup ads."

I think it might have to do with a lot of those shows nowadays have remodeling/construction "hunks" There was an Oprah show with these guys and the ladies went crazy.

LOL

All

save yourselves a lot of trouble and trash the TV...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    LOL

All

save yourselves a lot of trouble and trash the TV...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats like saying get rid of your computer because you get spam. Or disconnect your phone because telemarketers call you.

For me TV give me and my noggin a chance to go idle.

My noggin has no problem going idle...

Don't need TV

Maybe because I grew up with 1 channel until I was 10 I watch more as an adult.

Really I only watch an hour or 2 a day, before bed. Mostly CBC Newsworld or Simpsons.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread