If you have DSL or Cable modem and want to give it an even bigger boost. Add a router to your setup.

I just installed a linksys BEFSR11 router between my modem and my computer. Now my connection seems to be twice as fast as before.

Anyone else do this? Am I just imagining this?

I put a D-link Router into my system, and also connected three other machines too. Tried the system without the router (PC to Modem to Internet), and I didn't notice a difference. I'll have to try to make some measurements though, maybe I can see the boost steveinid sees.

What I did notice, was that I really liked the firewall in the router. It's makes for less applications running on the individual machines. If anyone doesn't have a router (with WAN connection), you have to get one.

Fred

Anyone on ADSL should visit
    http://www.grc.com/default.htm
    and try out the Shieldsup test.

A good ADSL(Or cable)/firewall/router not only allows you to easily share your internet connection but allows provides really good security.

I also rung with ZoneAlarm on all my PCs but then I am moderately paranoid about security these day ever since one of my teenage son's friends used one of my test PCs to get at his email via webmail once and gave us a virus.

Les

ps

Nearly forgot ... a good router will chuck away unsolicited data packets from the net so maybe the cable modem was getting a lot of these it was trying to process and the router just ignored them.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > linksys BEFSR11

That's exactly what I have and it works perfect.

The security is even better with built in firewall, etc. I also run ZoneAlarm on all pc like websmith.

if noticing a speed difference, there could be unwanted ICMP packets crowding the wires. would take a sniffer program on one of the machines to spot that.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, what Herb said...

or in other terms...

A router will NOT speed up your actual connection but it may speed up your productivity on that connection and your computer.

When you are not running a router or good firewall your computer is being bombarded by a HUGE number of attacks. These include hackers port scanning and looking for holes in your system, worms trying to replicate themselves to your machine, and even unwanted automated 'network awareness' checks from all the comuters in your neighborhood if you are on a cable modem.

All of this can slow down your computer, your connection and your productivity - not to mention it is fairly dangerous.

Having a hardware router; ANY hardware router is a very good thing even if you only have one computer. Watch the sales and you can purchase one for well under $50US.

I'm hearing Wal-Mart, $40-$50 lately. I've got some old D-Links in the house so I'm a happy camper. When I first set up DSL, following the stupidly simplistic directions, I saw a super slowdown due to the sasser worm. I wish the telco providing the service had just said go via the router and don't worry about the commercials.

that router log shows lotsa bad hits per day, but they don't get through.

You're right about the D-Link prices. Actually, it's a rebate, but not a small one. I just bought one at Best Buy last week, and the unit has a $40. rebate ($59.00 purchase price), so I will end up spending $19.

I never do rebates, they are a pain, but will this time. btw, this is not an endorsement of Best Buy, I am sure you can get the rebate almost anywhere.

Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watch the sales and you can purchase one for well under $50US <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I got mine for 45 bucks. (add tax)

I called my favorite computer store and told them I want one. She quoted me a price of 65 dollars for the BEFSR41 with 4 ports. I told her she could do better than that. Reluctantly she said she could get me the BEFSR11 for 45. Mwave.com has them for 41. I figured I would be supporting my local businesses, wouldn't pay shipping and wouldn't have to wait too long. So, I got it cheaper. 2 days later I picked it up.

I always ask if they can come down on their prices. You will be surprised what a simple question will save you.

As for the speed. The sysop at work said pretty much what you all are saying. He said my computer isn't dealing with all this crap now. Plus I deleted Norton Personal Firewall.

I'm loving it.
    Deleted

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread