QR Codes and Offline Marketing Idea
    Okay, so the other day I was just minding my own business somewhere and saw a QRCode, and it got me thinking (dangerous, I know).

Has anyone every tried using an affiliate link in a QR code?

Just a thought, could be worth a shot for those that already print material or send newsletter, etc. Specifically those who have local based business. Just chatting about it over here, we thought it could work great for College Campus Welcome packs/flyers or other things like this.

Anyway-Would love to hear your thoughts. With more offline straight to mobile we're seeing out there, I thought it'd be an interesting option. If you do try to implement this, let us know.
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    Head of Affiliate Marketing- Zoro.com
    affiliate@zoro.com

for my own site, yes. although I did it more for the 'what the heck' factor more-so than hoping it would be fully functional. As an affiliate though, it would have to be some major source of revenue to consider promoting one affiliate link in particular.

That said, i don't do anything print-wise (I have a QR code on a tshirt), but if I were to have something, a QR code is a good idea, but I'd probably have the URL link back to my site, possibly to a dummy URL that would be forwarded over to a related page that can be re-assigned/changed on a regular basis. In this case, it may be a post filled with links related to the current newsletter, not unlike what Podcasts and many TV shows already do.

Unless of course, there was some super incentive for me to promote a merchant directly through the QR code. Or maybe even treat it as an in-house print ad or some sort of classifieds bit in the back, along with other codes.

Bradk-
    Yeah- this was more of a "what the heck" type of idea than anything else. I can see some people that it would be perfect for, and others that wouldn't really benefit.

For your own site, how did your experience go? Did it do anything noticeable (good or bad)?
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    affiliate@zoro.com

excellent question. When I set it up, I had the foresight to send the URL to an alternate landing page and then redirect via PHP so it would be transparent to the user but I'd be able to log it. Until now I never even bothered to check the log.

Well, turns out that even though I know I created the logging feature, all traces of it are gone. So honestly, I don't know. But I don't suspect it was really beneficial anyway since there were too many factors involved: (a) I'd have to be wearing the shirt; (b) Someone would have to see me in the shirt; (c) someone would want to care enough to check the QR code, assuming (d) someone had a mobile device with QR reader software on it handy.

For me, it was just a novelty. It certainly has its place and I suspect it will eventually grow more in popularity but in my limited experiences, the bulk of its use has been within the film industry to promote movies mostly with viral campaigns.

Plus now Google is testing its own technology where I think you can just use a mobile device camera to take a picture of an ad to go a related website.

QR code growth
    It is interesting that there have not been more comments on this thread. Here is market research indicating that action codes (including QR codes) in the top 100 magazine advertising grew by more than 600% from January to December, 2011.

Surely there is a place for QR codes in affiliate marketing. The affiliate link can be easily embedded in a QR code. What do you think the objections are?

Tim-

Not sure. I think when it comes down to it- most affiliate publishers are very firmly planted in the internet space. Moving to a paper space to drive traffic might seem antiquated or antithetical to what they do?
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    affiliate@zoro.com

I'm sure you're right that is part of it. Print is 500 years old. But QR codes and digital printing are bleeding edge. And affiliate marketers are known for being innovative and creative.

QR codes are catching like wildfire in retail stores and other places. I bet the affiliates come around. Why not market to users when they are offline, but have their phones with them?

At least affiliates could put PDFs on their sites. That would enable visitors to download and print, in order to show products to a friend, colleague or family member. From there, the order is just a QR code scan away.

Well we are game if an affiliate ever wants to try it. I think every affiliate will do better if they learn how different mediums can help promote their site. Print is old, but it can have it's uses- especially for affiliates who do seminars where they hand stuff out.
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    affiliate@zoro.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread