Page Cloaking
    What I'm trying to figure out is more along the lines of A/B splitting than cloaking.

I've searched around and can't seem to find anything but essentially here goes:

Is there anyway to cloak a whole page, almost along the lines of A/B Splitting, but dictating to some degree who sees what? For example: Instead of building out tons of seperates campaigns, is there a way to create one campaign, run it for different geographic areas, and show a page that corresponds to that geographic area instead of creating those pages, then creating offers micro targeted for each of those geographic areas?

Build out a smart backend to make my front end work a lot easier?

Just trying to think outside my own head and streamline my work processes allowing me to focus more on the management and less on the implementation?

Thanks and take it easy on a long time lurker first time poster.

part of the answer would depend on your front end. you can definitely accomplish something via PHP. there is code and a free database that can determine a user's country of origin* via their IP address. If you want to get more granular than that, I'm not aware of any database available that's free, but it's still possible.

ETA: apparently there is a free option now which even allows the ability to download their database to run it locally, although they offer an API to integrate it into your own script, though I'm not sure what limitations are in place

http://www.hostip.info
    Last edited by bradk; January 3rd, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Php
    That could be a solution for sure.

I was really trying to get to the state level at minimum...

Does the IP address itself dictate location, geographically, to any degree. Meaning is their any rhyme or reason, or is all network driven?

Essentially, I already know to some degree which states and which cities even convert on certain offers better than others, due to micro targeted ads. so I wanted to see if I could direct the non-converting areas to a different offer, since I know my data says they're not going to convert where i need them to on this particular offer?

it's not a guarantee, state level should be fairly reliable as long as the database info itself is good (garbage in, garbage out), but if someone is using a mobile device or a proxy server, that information is susceptible to produce a false result. but those will still be in the minority and there are some ways to detect a proxy server being used, but it's probably not worth the effort.

basically under ideal situations, you're getting the IP address of the IP provider. might be likely that some along state borders may report being from the other state, but again, it should be relatively negligible.

I haven't looked at the source database, but even if it's not broken out into state as far as fields go, it should be relatively easy to extract with MySQL.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread