Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Goog Slap? Kind of Worried.
    I have had a site for about 2.5 years or so and it has been doing very well on Google. In fact, my main keywords are 1st page of Google, and I have several keywords with first page listing, as well. However, I noticed today my main keywords were no where to be found after 4-5 months 1-4 on Google. It can't be a dance this is a pretty authority site with a traffic value of 28K, 20K backlinks, Yahoo directory links, ect.

A lot of my reviews are knocked way down too. Kind of concerned about this as it is my main stream of income. Have use whitehat and everything too. Anyone else seen this today or is there anything someone could tell me to put my mind a ease, please?

Garen
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

I'm afraid Google giveth and taketh away. Have you made sitemaps and have you also entered them in Bing's sitemap site?

my sites go up and down in activity but I just keep letting the Engines know when there are new pages.

also keep in mind that google's SERP is individualized and is weighed by many factors, the heaviest being your own search history. if you're logged into a google account, your results can vary wildly from if you weren't.
    Last edited by bradk; January 4th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

Yes Herb, I have sitemaps and everything as well as update my root site 2-3 times per week. Along with a new blog post going out every couple days or so.

Brad, I am not logged into my WebMaster tools and had a all time high in traffic yesterday and today got kicked in the teeth.

Just not understanding the big time drop, though. My traffic value went from 6K to 28K and I drop. Makes no sense, spent 3 months building backlinks and is almost like I am getting slayed for it.
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

if your traffic is way down and normally relies on Google, that would be a key indicator.

but just to clarify, although they're one and the same, any google account. if your email is showing in the upper right hand corner when you use google.com, it's being skewed.

Yeah, I know I check it with Market Sam. and I am always 1-4 on first page of Google. I actually did find myself after posting and I am on the 7th page. All my reviews are down to page 2-3 and were on page 1. Some were even first on Google. Organic traffic has taken a dive and I am not sure why.

Not sure why Google kicked me in the balls. Checked error logs and everything is fine.

Also, was checking around and heard there might be a google update or something today. A lot of people are reporting the same thing. I sure hope that is the case because this is my main source of income and if it stays down I will have to look work online elsewhere

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i think google had an algorithm change within the last 2 months and that moved things around. hang tight and try to build traffic from other sites

superCool had a week of no google traffic but it resolved itself. there might have been some problems with some recent changes made (had previously removed 404 notification) but not sure.

superCool hopes your traffic returns soon.

Went from 100 keywords listed in top ten and was getting 250 hits a day to 3 keywords in the top 10. Got 16 hits today so far? Not sure if I will bounce back or not. Really don't know what happen. Surely I should bounce back. I have a lot of number one spots too.

You might want to check your messages in google webmaster central. I saw this thread today on WMW:

WebmasterWorld Login
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Err, sorry, forgot that link required WMW membership.... Basically google has a new algorithm to detect un-natural link patterns. They are warning people via the WebMaster Tools. A picture of the message can be found here:

WMT alert on Twitpic
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Thanks isellstuff, just checked my google webmasters email and their was no notification or anything

Affiliate Manager Heather@Stacks's Avatar
    Hmmm..the big Google algorithm change happened on Oct 21, 2010. That's when most e-tailers felt the major shifts to natural traffic, anyway.
    I’m not aware of any other changes after that date myself, though.

You know what I bought three links from TLA ads I think that might be my problem. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather@Stacks View Post
    Im not aware of any other changes after that date myself, though.
    Here's another change, involving detection of cloaking. Matt Cutts made this tweet recently, which contains a warning to webmasters:

Twitter / Matt Cutts: Google will more at cloaki ...

Quote Originally Posted by silver93350 View Post
    You know what I bought three links from TLA ads I think that might be my problem. What do you think?
    Google does not like TLA, so it is a possibility.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93350 View Post
    WMT alert on Twitpic

If you're going to buy links, don't do it from obvious places like that.

Also, it might be too early to tell much of anything. It happens from time to time where I might have a site that drops in Google traffic, then a week or two later it comes back to what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Google does not like TLA, so it is a possibility.
    Damn, my luck. Those links will be going ASAP! I wonder if I can recover. Just didn't know it was bad

is that tweet suggesting that doorway pages are valid as long as everyone sees them before redirecting?

anyway.. as I was getting to originally, just too many factors to be considered. If you're in a competitive market, remember that others are competing against you which means that even if you use whatever methods to increase your SERP presence, others are likely doing it as well.

As far as the first Google warning, it reads as though it's concerned more about links on the site in question, not going to the site in question.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    As far as the first Google warning, it reads as though it's concerned more about links on the site in question, not going to the site in question.
    Yeah, Matt Cutts replied to the thread on WMW. He said:
    Yup, I believe that's real. Remember at Pubcon I said we'd be ramping up our transparency when we think a site is outside our guidelines? This is one of those instances. The key part of this email is "Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links on your site pointing to other sites that could be intended to manipulate PageRank." So one thing to look for is anything that could be considered linkselling, past linkselling, or that sort of thing.

really what it comes down to is they can only penalize those who sell links, not buy them. if buyers were penalized, it'd be too easy to ruin competitors.

really what it comes down to is they can only penalize those who sell links, not buy them. if buyers were penalized, it'd be too easy to ruin competitors.
    You might find this interesting:
    Text-link-ads.com Gets Our Site Penalized by Promoting Tagged.com - Webmaster Central Help

I know my TLA ads are getting canned. I just lost 100 top ten rankings because of them!

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, I've seen some who were buying links get zapped. Some in my sector, coupon sites and others as well. I understand what you're saying, that somebody could do that and get try to get their competitor zapped. Sometimes it's easy to tell, sometimes innocent people get caught up in it. While you can do what you said, try to ruin competitors, I don't think it happens that often because you might end up doing the opposite and helping them out. And if it's a site that has some nice one ways from trusted, authority type sites, it makes it that much harder to do something like that.
    Last edited by Trust; January 5th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

TLA can result in your site being flagged for unnatural link building. A typical problem would be that you buy a couple high PR links that don't match your current inbound link structure. e.g. a few hundred pr 2's and 3's, and a 3 PR 6's from TLA. Also, inbound links from "questionable" sites can be an issue. These penalties can be temporary and might only apply to certain pages. It's all dependent on your sites link profile. Also, buying 3 high pr links at once, when you haven't had any high PR links could be a problem. Some sites can get away with things that others can't.

Here is an interesting discussion on it, I like Robert Charlton's comments:

What does Google consider "low quality" and unnatural link building? Google SEO News and Discussion forum at WebmasterWorld

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast