life sucks, eBay sucks, PayPal sucks ...

Is "sucks" consider a rude word? Should I use it with caution? Or is it just an ordinary word for BAD.

It's slang, but not rude (IMHO).
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...change your icon...it sucks!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

it sounds funny more than rude.

Hey Redfish... you're right... life ,ebay and Paypal suck!

whata' help me make some lemonade????

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I'd say it's a vulgar word used by some groups but not others. It's also a generational thing, I'd never use it as it came into usage after I was over 20.

On a web site you might put some visitors off using it, If I heard someone over the age of 20 using it in conversation, I'd probably make some kind of judgement about them - poor vocabulary, inappropriate language skills, there's plenty of other words and phrases that are more meaningful to use.

In polite company it's better to say...

"That really siphons..."

<Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webpartner:

"That really siphons..."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It's not bad if your a cow, but in mixed company,depends on who is there.My wife never liked the word crap, even tho that's from the name of the guy who invented "The crapper",that was the guys name.
    Pumps do to.My nickles worth.
    JJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webpartner:

"That really siphons..."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about, "that really creates negative pressure"?

Kay

This thread sucks.

seriously... It all depends on the company you are in.

if you are thinking of using it on a website, consider your visitors. If you are targetting some rich old snobs. Leave the slang at the door. If you are reviewing MP3 players and the latest pop music. It wouldn't matter much.

Rude.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is "sucks" consider a rude word? Should I use it with caution? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In short, I guess you could say the word would be, well...unclassy.

In more detail, it's a rude word that's been fairly "de-rudened" with widespread use. Even Jay Leno has used it, and the Tonight Show's pretty tame--so I think the mainstream would consider it to be a "not too bad" slang word. But it *is* actually rude: The original connotation, as I recall, was sexual (as in, "it sucks d*cks") and those who remember that may react more strongly than would otherwise be expected. Although only someone who'd been living in a vacuum could be horrified, considering how widespread the usage of "sucks" has become!

IMO, it would have no place in most serious business discussions, for instance in "real" negotiations. IT/webmaster types don't seem to have any problem with it, but they're an exceptional group--I think it'd be quite anticonversionary to use it in most business settings. Not only is there the rude origin, but it's still not considered a really "mature" way to express an idea in the minds of many (the usage originating with teenagers has pigeonholed the saying as a "teenager's word," even though we grew up ages ago!).

On the other hand, I have no qualms in saying things suck in casual conversation with those I'm familiar with. It's not something I'd yell out in the Four Seasons though!

As for using it on a website, it depends on the target audience. In some instances it should be fine, while in others it'd be off-putting. Personally I don't think I've said "sucks" on any site except my personal site.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Leader

&gt;(as in, "it sucks d*cks") and those who remember that may react more strongly than would otherwise be expected.

you're right on all points and that's exactly why I hate it every time my kids say it, because that's where it came from.

Even though they don't know that, and I don't think they need such details.

Besides try explaining that to 900 other kids at their school and then they come home and repeat it.

There is nothing wrong with the word "sucks" anyone who takes offence at that word needs to get their head examined and get a life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> &gt;(as in, "it sucks d*cks") <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> In Leaders example there is nothing at all wrong with the word "sucks" it is the word "dick" that should not have been used, so any reactions shoulds have been to the word "dick" and not "sucks"

Blimey I think some of you guys need to get a life or at least broaden your horizons.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    Blimey I think some of you guys need to get a life or at least broaden your horizons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also think it's very rude to tell people to "get a life".

Using such esoteric peer group delimited language such as "sucks" and not seeing its limitations is evidence to me that the users are those who need to broaden their horizons beyond their own narrow view of what is acceptable in all situations.

ABW Ambassador

To RedFish:

Yes, I think it is not only very rude but also
    very low class and a sign of a lazy intellect.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    Using such esoteric peer group delimited language such as "sucks" and not seeing its limitations is evidence to me that the users are those who need to broaden their horizons beyond their own narrow view of what is acceptable in all situations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err...

You use 'esoteric peer group delimited' in polite conversation???

(Don't mind me, I'm harmless, really...)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lot's of people here say my site "sucks". I just checked with a Frontpage word search through 360 pages and "dick" wasn't found even once. So I'm lost as to the relevance of using this term to describe my site.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah Mike, but they are just trying to be nice to you...

It is a very rude word. Yes, I am well over 20, and I remember when polite people did NOT use this word. People used to say "it stinks" instead.

It's commonplace now, but if you're not someone who likes to use bad language, I wouldn't use this. Yes, just about everyone uses foul language today in every situation, but that doesn't make it polite.

(That said, I will admit to getting told off on a message board once for saying "damn"!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it sucks d*cks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She MEANT sucks ducks!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Conclusion, different people feel different thing to the work "sucks" and other rude words.

And since it can annoy certain group of people, I think it is better not to use it because it is not a MUST, there are better alternatives.

But honestly, I am the other group that won't be insulted by rude words from others (enlish or any other language) because I can't find any reason why I need to. It's from someone mouth which I can't control.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread