Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I'm starting up a military site, and I thought a dating service might be a good add on. Does anyone know of a dating service affiliate program that would be a good fit for that site?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Bump to get past all the political junko.

The DreamMates site isn't so much military related but it is a classy look and feel. Not the "hookup zone" that some of these sites look like.

From what I have seen it converts well and from work that I have done for them on other projects, they pay quickly.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    It ain't dating, but there's quite a few military buddy finders with aff programs...

www.military.com
    and classmates has a military thing-a-ma-jigger

might check this out too:
    www.militaryconnections.com

And there's reunion sites that could work as well.

Suggest you also get a copy of Navy Times, Army Times, etc... check out who's advertising in those papers - might be good stuff too.

I'm ex Navy, PM me anytime. I don't do any military aff stuff and don't plan to - but know what my old buddies read, buy and visit...

I'd also suggest some pages with picture frames and mounting and what not... my wife has taken some of my old posters, awards, certificates, medals, etc and had them mounted - made a fab gift for me to receive. 4x6 Picture of my submarine in a little 8x10 frame and some of my medals pinned / hung around it. Nice matte background and glass cover - the box has a little depth so the medals aren't smashed under glass. It's one of most treasured gifts ever - framing my old medals is something that I'd never have thought of doing myself. Might make a fun thing for ex-military visitors to your site to consider - but they won't do it themselves - so say it's a good idea to do for an old friend or relative or someone retiring / leaving the service.

Have fun!

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    abugraibtrailerparkslags.com

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

Donuts-
    Great idea, I will work on that. The site will focus on battle and campaign articles, and I have several professional writers lined up, but I am looking for personal war/military stories, if you or your buddies have any desire to get paid for writing.

I stayed on a submarine once, the Silversides, docked permanently up in michigan. Took a scout troop there for a weekend stay, and they got to sleep on the sub, really cool! I cannot imagine actually being on one, hundreds of feet underwater, though.

The writing offer sounds fun, but the majority of my interesting sub stories are classified secret and top secret because they deal with specific locations, ops or ship's abilities. So I can't write them up and provide to anyone. My guess is you might run into that situation often.

I hope you sell books on your site - it's unbelievable the things I've read in some books I've bought - stuff I know is classified. I think there's a process for authors to have their books reviewed and approved - but this only makes sense when they are to make millions on a certain book - not the case with your publishing model. The book "Blind Man's Bluff" is about sub incidents and accidents - and it's loaded with information that, to my knowledge, is classified.

I met this army officer one time, a graduate of West Point - he had the coolest chess set I ever saw. It was EXPENSIVE - each piece was a mini bronze statue of a soldier - infantry for pawns, generals for kings, cavalry for knights. Try and find that somewhere - it's high ticket and the military guy I knew who had it made it the centerpiece / display in his office.

And I slept on the sub for almost 5 years. First few nights were mondo cool. After a while, it became routine - but never boring. Once we had dignitaries on board and had to make space for them to sleep - so I had to sleep in the torpedo room for a week while underway - there's no hull insulation in the torpedo room and the sea water in the North Atlantic (several hundred feet down) is damn chilly. I was sleeping on the torpedo skids - the metal moveable platforms you use to store and load torpedoes. I have never been so cold in my life... metal sucked the heat out of me no matter how wrapped up I got in wool blankets. I'd wake up with whole body cramps from shivering in my sleep.

Oh yeah, do you know about the book (it's really an encyclopaedia - many volumes and frequent updates) called Jane's Fighting Ships? That's of great interest to military folks - for each branch of the service, it lists every weapon, craft, gun, ship, sub, bullet, system, torpedo. There are things in it that I've seen (at the library) that blow me away. It also has a series of books covering foreign nations' equipment as well. I'm sure they don't have an aff program and that it's way too expensive for most individuals to buy, but you might search the Internet to look for related materials from it that you can use. Like if an army guy writes you up a story about a Bradley Fighting vehicle, would be great if you could show pictures and details and capacities of that vehicle that are listed in Jane's (it isn't just fighting ships, contrary to the name). That would be great. And since Jane's is a publicly released information source, you'd be safe to publish any information therein (in you got their permission / copyright okay). I believe it's written by retired military officers and it's approved by the Dept of Defense prior to publishing. The information in it is fantasticly detailed!!!

Have fun!

Thanks, Donuts - One of the stories they told about the Silversides was when one of the men had to have his appendix out. They were out in the Pacific, and only had a pill pusher aboard, not a real doctor. They laid the guy out on the table in the galley, and basically the 'medic' opened up a book on 'How to cut an appendix out', and operated on him. As I recall, he recovered and reported back to duty within 5 days or so. I'd like to get some stories like that, if possible, from vets, not just articles on battles and such.

Yep - know them well. The "Doc" on the sub is actually a corpsman - not a real doctor. Nice part is, most that are on subs have served in the field with Marines first - so these guys, while not doctors, are the sort of people you can put utmost trust in. If there's a way for them to help you if you're injured or sick, they'll already have dealt with it more times than you can imagine - and under the harshest of circumstances. If I needed brain surgery, I'd want to be in a major hospital with doctors that had spent their lives in college. But if my armed was smashed in a machine or I was electrocuted and my life was in danger, give me a corpsman everytime. Experience counts for a lot when time is short and the situation is urgent. I guess they're really more like EMT's than doctors...

Good luck with your site!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread