Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Recruitment Question
    Hey,

Is is ok to PM someone and ask them if they would like to join my program?

There should be no reason for you to have to PM them. Your program is all over the forum, if they were serious in your niche they would have joined already.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I think it would be ok if you were aware that a particular member who is not a member of your program has a site where your products would be a good fit, and you were approaching them with some kind of incentive to give you a try on their site.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Vinnie & David, thanks for your reply. How would I know what sites do they have?

If you don't know what sites they have, it is best not to recruit via PM.

Yeah, I have never PMed anyone for that reason so far.

As an affiliate I would not want to receive such a PM, and would consider it Spam.

Vinny is right, active members of ABW already know about merchants who visit ABW and affiliate will contact the merchant/affiliate member via PM if they are interested as was the case when I PM'ed you about your program. I also PM'ed Vinny about a program he managed.

I think your move to get Greg Hoffman working with you was a good move. I have alot of respect for him and I have joined other programs that he recommended and they are converting.
    Last edited by kse; January 6th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    I think that you are doing enough positive promotion through your participation in the forum. I don't think there would be much value in directly soliciting affiliates through PMs.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    Hey,

Is is ok to PM someone and ask them if they would like to join my program?
    No it isn't. You have paid for a forum, and all of your recruiting can be done there.

ABW Ambassador
    I have a question, always wondered how affiliates here felt about it, not sure if it's worthy of it's own thread.

What do you think of merchants here recruiting outside their forum in threads?

Some examples.

An affiliate asks about the best shoe merchant. This is a case where I think it's fine.

An affiliate is complaining/asking about low sales for let's say Zappos. Affiliates are having a discussion and a shoe merchant comes into the conversation and say hey, Look at my shoe program. I don't like that but could be in the minority on that one, don't know.

Let's say somebody asks for the best outdoor merchants and a merchant comes in pushing his program which has absolutely nothing to do with anything outdoors. That one is an obvious no no to me.

Just wondering other opinions on above scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I have a question, always wondered how affiliates here felt about it, not sure if it's worthy of it's own thread.

Some examples.

An affiliate asks about the best shoe merchant. This is a case where I think it's fine.

An affiliate is complaining/asking about low sales for let's say Zappos. Affiliates are having a discussion and a shoe merchant comes into the conversation and say hey, Look at my shoe program. I don't like that but could be in the minority on that one, don't know.

Let's say somebody asks for the best outdoor merchants and a merchant comes in pushing his program which has absolutely nothing to do with anything outdoors. That one is an obvious no no to me.

I totally agree, there's nothing more irritating than having to sift through blatant selling when you are looking for answers to a specific idea

I think the scenarios you describe here are a very low-class (spammy and opportunistic) way to promote a program. But if a competing AM chimes in to offer enlightening information, it's a different story.

For instance, let's say an affiliate of BiggiesBalloons.com is up in arms about a 30% reversal rate with that merchant, and is concerned that they think they may be getting cheated. The AM for BustersBalloons comes along to say that their return/cancellation rate hovers around 28%, so that seems normal for the industry. In this scenario, BustersBalloons may be garnering some brand exposure, but it's not the same as taking a swipe at the competitor for an opportunistic plug.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador

Some examples.

Trust,
    I like how you bolded the word "affiliates" in the first line of your post. Maybe we need to be more clear who we'd like to get a reponse from when we ask a question here. Personally, I agree with both your scenerios and your opinions. Either way I think that merchants should be very careful recruiting anywhere (either in or out of their own forum). It's a personal thing with me - if I see an opportunity to work with you I would prefer to approach you. If you "hard sell" me then I will most likey shy away.

Thanks so much for all your responses. I guess that makes it one less thing to ask.

What do you think of merchants here recruiting outside their forum in threads?.
    This one probably could use it's own thread, but here goes:

Some examples.

Agreed. Merchants or AMs shouldn't be excluded from the conversation just because they're a merchant or AM. And who knows, they may have just what the OP was looking for.

Where I would find fault with this is when a merchant or AM uses a situation like this to bash a competitor.

Again, I'm fine with this as long as the merchant/AM understands that affiliates may rebut their statements. Trusted merchants and AMs add to the discussion, it's the first time posters that lack credibility and often muddy the waters.

Let's say somebody asks for the best outdoor merchants and a merchant comes in pushing his program which has absolutely nothing to do with anything outdoors. That one is an obvious no no to me..
    But you can eat cookies outdoors....

Agree, totally out of line and should be zapped by a mod before the digital ink dries.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I develop a relationship then approach the affiliate if I think I have a program they are interested in. You may have noticed that I don't have a spammy signature block (I have a reputation).

When I see an affiliate asking about a program that I have a fit for I will post the program sans links. If I see an affiliate talking about getting screwed by a program I write them a personal PM offering an alternative. How often do I do this maybe twice a month.

If you are in a major department store and are approached by a sales person all you have to do is say no. You are there to shop. If you are walking through the airport and someone tries to sell you something that is intrusive. I don't hear that anyone he is badgering affiliates. Those that did are long gone.

Ty for making me want to expand my signature to include my linked in page
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thanks for your input guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    You may have noticed that I don't have a spammy signature block (I have a reputation).
    Actually I don't see it as spammy at all. If you are an OPM or AM with a reputation, I'd like to see which programs you represent and most likely to check them out first before going to the networks to see what is available. I don't join programs that I don't see a good fit with my site, does not matter if you are on ABW or not. I think it just makes it easier for the affiliate to find you.

As a matter of fact, a while back I was getting ready to start a new topic niche site and there were multiple merchants selling this item. It happened that an OPM on here was also one of the managers of one of the programs I was interested in. I had to research first where to find the manager, and figure out a way to contact this person (no link in siggie). I did find out and sent an email via their site to join the program and introduce myself. I waited, but never heard back. No biggie. I had also applied to the other competing programs through other networks selling the same high ticket item. The one that I got feedback from first, I joined. To this day, I never heard from the program/manager. But it does make me wonder how many of those emails or applications are lost or not looked at. As an affiliate I am busy enough and don't need to go scavenger hunting for contact info or program info. It provides me with a quick and easy way to get to the info I need and want.

Perhaps the other benefit of not having those links is lack of spam! (Notice I don't have them either)

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread