ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I just discovered that what I thought was a Google blurp with one of my hobby sites was in fact a case of either someone hacking into my hosts web servers or a rogue employee at my web host loading up some unauthorized files on my web site. These files were designed, in conjunction with some sort of re-direct/cloak/meta-refresh from another site, to create tens of thousands of spammy doorway pages that seemed to be hosted on my own domain - even those these pages were not specifically located in it.

Anyways, as this represents a complete breakdown of security at my web host, I'm in search of a new one and mighty quickly. I really need some suggestion as I've just seen way to many horror stories about their hosts to even know where to start.

For hosting specifics, I will need the following :

Type of hosting : Virtual (don't have need for a full stand-alone server, or the time/money to manage it)

Bandwidth : 50 GB a month

Multiple Domains : Nice, but not absolutely crucial

Storage Space : 1 GB

Web Analytical Software : Urchin 5 is a must. Additionally, Urchin needs to be able to be "tweaked" in the number of tables present. The default number in Urchin (10,000) cuts of the amount of info that is displayed. I need this table size upped to its maximum size (which I think is 40,000).

Reliability : Must be up and running and be ultra-reliable. Willing to pay the price for a reliable web host.

Support : 24 hour phone support is most preferred, but I can live without it. But...I do prefer this.

Scripts : The ability to run standard web software and scripts, such as common CGI scripts, the new phpBB Bulletin Boards, and other such programs.

Speed : The servers must be fast and not overloaded. Although my current web host does have many faults, their servers are fast. They don't seem to "overload" their servers.

SE Friendly : It goes without saying the Googlebot, Slurp and the other major spiders must be welcomed with "open arms" by the web host. None of what happened at GoDaddy a while back.

Email : Nothing fancy. Standard web mail works well enough for me. I don't send out newsletters from the domain - I use a newsletter service instead for that.

Other : Not hosted with spammy websites or on the same servers as sites that are known for spam. I don't want the site "blacklisted" because it shares server space with a email spam domain. Also, the host has to be a "true host", not a reseller.

Anyways, this is a long list, I know. But, am hoping someone here can provide some recommendations.

Thanks for any help you can give. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post your "secret host" suggestions.

Jim

Have you checked out www.httpme.comand www.lunarpages.com?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I love my hosting company and cannot recommend it highly enough. XO Communications (CNC Host) has been outstanding in all ways for more than four years. Their 24 hour tech support is wonderful, knowledgable and very helpful, even with things not pertaining to their hosting. They are SE friendly, my pages load ultra-fast and have never been down.

Good luck!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Pair.com has all that and a reseller hosting arrangement charging on 12.00/year for extra domain hosting.

Don't donate hosting bucks to XO as they've been a spam hosting provider for years.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

check out http://www.micfo.com - their support is wonderful and fast. I have had no problems at all - very reasonable prices

I would also suggest www.httpme.com, never had a problem

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Look into www.midphase.com or www.autica.com both same company but through autica you can setup reseller, virtual, dedicated and co-locate accounts or for your own use.

As we are talking about web hosting, can anyone please let me know whats the difference between virutal server and dedicated server?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ahmar:
    As we are talking about web hosting, can anyone please let me know whats the difference between virutal server and dedicated server? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a vitual server is the same as shared hosting... meaning you share the server wiht many other websites... I always spend the extra money for a dedicated IP# the onlky true way to know your IP# isnt being used for sending spam...

a dedicated server is just that dedicated.. dedicated to one user... also called a stand alone server....

hope this helps..
    Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I cannot tell you how satisfied I am with THMedia webhosting. They are the best.

www.thmedia.net
    Deleted

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Another vote for httpme and I also use DIYhosting. XO, I did use for many years and had nothing but the best service but they are expensive.

www.isprime.com good host and they are very strict with their mailing policy
    also..
    www.reflected.com
    www.4ph.com (big improvement the last year)

also httpme as already stated is excellent host one of my best friends uses and he is ultra satisfied.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. One of my big stumbling blocks right now is finding a good host that provides Urchin 5. The "freebie" stats programs just don't cut it when you get 3000 unique search terms each day - and that info is vital to have. The free programs also cut off most of the useful data of unique page views on a given page, referer details and more. For a content site like mine, all this info is awfully important to have.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    ValueWeb.com - but they have Urchin 4, not 5... I use them and they're good!

ValueWeb is the hosting company behind NetworkSolutions.com domain reg service.

Jim

Do a search for reviews on unitedhosting.co.uk

They have everything you need I think - including urchin 5 which has only just been made available - it sure beats any other stats I've ever had before!

I moved to them about 8 months ago because I read nothing but great reviews - they haven't let me down yet - support is lightning fast and they are great value too.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread