Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Coupon Field or Not?
    Yes, everyone is trying to get a better deal and coupons are great. Using myself as an example when shopping, first thing that comes to my mind when I see the coupon field is $$$.

I am sure that I am not alone in this one.

So, what do I do, open a new window and go search for a coupon.

What does this mean, the affiliate that send this person is exposed to having this client taken away from him and therefor all his future purchases. Which could ammoung to good chunk of money.

How to prevent this? Or is this just part of it?
    Last edited by Decorative Ceiling Tiles; January 6th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Have you heard of Groupon!.
    First you offer a 50% coupon to the consumer
    Then 50% commissions to Groupon.
    You get 25% of the total value offered.
    Example - $100 value offered at $50 on Groupon. Then Groupon takes 50% and gives you $25.
    Apparently Groupon is so HOT as merchants love to give away coupons and get exposure.

The point is do you want your cost conscious consumers (who is not these days) to be retained by you or stolen away by your competitors. Can you make decent profits even after the coupon discounts to consumers?

Coupons / Groupons can be a win-win of it is structured properly. Proper structuring differs in each case. A coupon or Groupon that works for one industry may not work for some other. But coupons structured properly will work for all ...

Now, can you figure what works for you?. Otherwise, consult somebody or outsource your job ...

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    Have you heard of Groupon!.
    First you offer a 50% coupon to the consumer
    Then 50% commissions to Groupon.
    You get 25% of the total value offered.
    Example - $100 value offered at $50 on Groupon. Then Groupon takes 50% and gives you $25.
    Apparently Groupon is so HOT as merchants love to give away coupons and get exposure.

The point is do you want your cost conscious consumers (who is not these days) to be retained by you or stolen away by your competitors. Can you make decent profits even after the coupon discounts to consumers?

Coupons / Groupons can be a win-win of it is structured properly. Proper structuring differs in each case. A coupon or Groupon that works for one industry may not work for some other. But coupons structured properly will work for all ...

Now, can you figure what works for you?. Otherwise, consult somebody or outsource your job ...
    My point is that I do not need a consumer who is ready to hit pay go to search for coupon. So what I will do is to place a coupon on my site where they can nicely see it and will not leave a look for one.

This is better for me and for affiliates that sent the client.

Now, if the client is coming from coupon site, great.

When we started GirlyChecks.com we decided to be a bit different and NOT have a coupon field in the shopping cart. We did (and still do) have some "deals" that are as good as coupons. That seems to have satisfied some of our "coupon site" affiliates. Our non-coupon affiliates appreciate it because there is less "cart abandonment" by people doing as you suggested - heading out to look for a coupon.

With the launch of our newly designed site (Tuesday) I discovered that the new cart does have a coupon field. There is a ticket in and I am assured that will be gone before the weekend.

But we are going to begin offering coupons this spring. But they will be linked to a URL - so we can offer them to affiliates attached to banners and text links - where the link, itself, will trigger a discount that will become visible in the header as the customer shops. At least that is in the plans and we've (sort of) got our fingers crossed.

On the other hand, we are trying a LOW pricing approach on our BusinessChecks.org site and NO coupons. Our normal prices are lower than the other big business checks supplier - even after their best coupon is applied. We have already seen reorders and have received "happy about your pricing" notes from some customers. Usually when they re-order at another site, the coupon no longer works (first time purchase only) and they see the price more than double on some products.

So, there are a couple of approaches to the coupon situation. We are still exploring and learning what works best for us. YMMV.

I also see a lot of new affiliate "sign ups" that are The Same Old Cookie Cutter Coupon Site. Good luck to them. We see almost no sales from them.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Bill as usual makes excellent points. There are number of ways of offering coupons and one of them is through URLs and not using coupon fields at checkouts!.

As I said, you need to find what works for you?. Isn't that part of your job and why your company is cutting pay-slips to you?

Bill - good point on the "The Same Old Cookie Cutter Coupon Site" .. Coupon business is highly competitive and a few players in the business commands bulk of market share. And unlike a data feed / product feed driven site, coupon sites requires huge daily / hourly updates / maintenance with no guarantee of making money if all one is offering a cookie cutter site.

Coupon business is highly competitive and a few players in the business commands bulk of market share.
    Right, that's what I am seeing with our "numbers." The gazillion Cookie Cutter sites do next to nothing and I don't see where they are offering any true value to the people who do find them. That is NOT a recipe for success.

I have an excellent "coupon" domain but have never seriously done anything with it - because I don't have the time to do it right. I had thought about subscribing to FMTC, but doubt I have the time to effectively build and market that. So I may try a special purpose, niche "deals" site - strictly for the checks industry (one day when we get the time).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Sure I need to find what works for me and that is why I ask here to get a good information from people like You or Bill.

Yes, I am paying myself to do this job and that is why I do not need to give 10% off sales away to a site that has made a page /Decorative Ceiling Tiles,Inc Coupon and did not pre-sale.

I welcome the non-cookie cutter ones with open arms and willing to do exclusive deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    But we are going to begin offering coupons this spring. But they will be linked to a URL - so we can offer them to affiliates attached to banners and text links - where the link, itself, will trigger a discount that will become visible in the header as the customer shops. At least that is in the plans and we've (sort of) got our fingers crossed.
    This is the best way to do it in my opinion, if your programming allows. Then, you only allow a handful of trusted affiliates to benefit.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post

I welcome the non-cookie cutter ones with open arms and willing to do exclusive deals.
    That's great!. Looking forward to working with you!!

BTW - with GHC on board, both of you should identify who to work and who to eliminate easily!
    Last edited by redtagdeals; January 6th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I had a client who research the coupon slot question and realized that they lost $100k a month to shoppers looking for coupons by opening another browser. They didn't coupon as a rule.

Just lost a client who was spending $100k a month in TV, Radio advertising on talk shows. They didn't like the fact that couponers were making 10% on a $10k sale. They didn't coupon but had the slot in their cart. When they took it out affiliate sales dropped significantly.

Why do you coupon? There are two reasons! If your competitors are and you are not then you will lose sales. If you want to get placements on 100-400 coupon sites you need an actionable coupon code. For some reason merchants feel that couponers are obligated to place their new products, discounted links, etc. on their sites. It don't work that way.

If you're going to have a coupon code field, you MUST handle it properly to minimize the number of customers who go off searching for coupons when they see it during checkout. There are several different approaches:

1. Call it something else. "Source Code" is one common name. I know of one merchant that uses the Special Instructions field for coupon codes. If you enter the coupon code there, it applies to the order. Most (good) coupon sites give consumers instructions on how to enter the coupon code.

2. Include a link to a list of "active coupon codes" next to the coupon code box. (It doesn't have to [and probably shouldn't] show everything.) You might include a 5% off coupon, a free shipping with a $x order coupon, and a 10% off a $y order coupon. Just by having these codes within easy access, I suspect that the vast majority won't search elsewhere. And if they do have a better coupon code provided by a coupon site, they can enter it and will realize that they're getting an even better deal.

3. Conditionally show the coupon code box. Give affiliates a way to add a parameter that will hide the coupon code box. This way, non-coupon affiliates don't have to worry about it.

4. Allow consumers to enter the coupon code in a special location somewhere. Many that do radio promotions have a "microphone" button in the site header where they enter a coupon code. If it's not in the cart/checkout path, fewer people will go searching for a code.

5. Use link-based coupon codes, as suggested. I personally don't like these (I like a CODE to promote), but many do.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Good Information Michael, I have added a 5% off text on top of my page hoping this will take care of this issue.

Check it out Save On Decorative Ceiling Tiles, Faux Tin Ceiling Tiles & Metal Ceiling Tiles and let me know what you think about this please.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    Good Information Michael, I have added a 5% off text on top of my page hoping this will take care of this issue.

Check it out Save On Decorative Ceiling Tiles, Faux Tin Ceiling Tiles & Metal Ceiling Tiles and let me know what you think about this please.
    In line with what Michael said we find the best way to prevent people rushing off to find a coupon else where is to have a coupon on the page already "This weeks Special" and a quick on site link / pop up window that shows active coupons for specific products or purchase values

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Default coupon
    What about already filling the coupon code field with the default coupon. In your case "DCT". So no need for the customer to go and search for the coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO View Post
    In line with what Michael said we find the best way to prevent people rushing off to find a coupon else where is to have a coupon on the page already "This weeks Special" and a quick on site link / pop up window that shows active coupons for specific products or purchase values

Cheers

Chris
    That is smart thing to do.. I am keeping a code on top of my page right below the header.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil V Nair View Post
    What about already filling the coupon code field with the default coupon. In your case "DCT". So no need for the customer to go and search for the coupon.
    What if a merchant were to automatically apply a coupon? I've seen a few sites that automatically apply a coupon when a visitor comes back.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread