I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I have found, using WHOIS a number of .info domains mirroring .com domains that I have at eNom.

Apparently, eNom has gone through all of their registrants accounts and registered the .info version of up to 25 .com domains, AND PUT THE REGISTRANTS DATA IN THE WHOIS.

WITHOUT CONSENT.

The names aren't listed in your account, you need to look at your .com names and then do a WHOIS on the .info of each one to see if eNom's done it.

They've apparently registered over 1.5 million .info names within one day. So if you have a .com at eNom, chances are you've now got the .info as well. Like it or not.

I've just registered my displeasure by moving over 100 domains out of eNom, all that's left are the ones I can't transfer due to the stupid ICANN rule that says you cannot transfer a name in the first 60 days of it's life.

matt@enom.com is the email address to send your thoughts/recommendations.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>AND PUT THE REGISTRANTS DATA IN THE WHOIS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Your* data's in the whois? Including as the Administrative Contact? Muaa haa haa...

It seems that you could move out "your" .info domains along with your other ones. After all, the info says they're YOURS! And if they won't let you move YOUR .infos, then complain to ICANN that eNom's violating your right to change registrars.

I'm not sure if eNom's got a way to wengle out of the above scenario, but it seems that they could certainly end up on the losing end of the stick...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Just checked my domains... all .info's matching my domains are registered with my info... pointing to my server....

hmmmm... wonder how I can exploit this... any ideas...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I just checked one of mine and it is registered in my name Surely they are not allowed to do this?
    This is the info. Does anybody know how to find the registras email or url?
    Domain ID:xxxxxxxx-xxxx
    Domain Name:xxxxxxx.INFO
    Created On:29-Sep-2004 15:13:43 UTC
    Expiration Date:29-Sep-2005 15:13:43 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:R280-LRMS
    Registrant ID:C6498636-LRMS
    Registrant Name:Gordon Skevy
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

A couple notes:

I used enom's whois function to check on the xxx.info equivalent of the xxx.com domain I have registered through them. Sure enough, it showed as registered, with all my contact info, etc.

I checked using the whois function at NSI though, and it shows the xxx.info domain as unregistered anywhere.

Maybe, it just hasn't propogated to the other whois servers yet?

Since xxx.info doesn't show in the My Domains listing,for my enom account, I figured I'd give it a try - start a transfer process and see if I get an email transfer request. If one came through, maybe it could be turned into a solid registration and become manageable along side the xxx.com through my enom account.

So I went into transfer and kicked one off. Unfortunately, I got the following error message:

Errors occurred while processing your request. Please make the following corrections and resubmit.
    This is an unsupported top level domain (TLD) for this process. -
    There are no valid entries in the Domains field.

My guess is that there is some sort of bug in the enom whois reporting tool, and that it is simply throwing up invalid results - the .info domains are not really being registered.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    I also checked through Enom's whois and found several .info versions of my .coms are showing up with my information.

When I checked through www.whois.sc, the first showed up as available, but the next two showed up as belonging to me! So maybe they have been purchased and are slowly showing up.

wondering if this is a negative benefit: google doesn't like mirror sites?

Wasn't someone - I don't think enom, but I think one of their resellers - recently making a "25 free .info domains" offer?

I seem to remember godaddy was offering them for $1.00 just recently
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Wasn't someone - I don't think enom, but I think one of their resellers - recently making a "25 free .info domains" offer?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think it was Dotster?
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

Gordon,

Check your post above. Did you put too much personal info in the post? Just a heads-up.

Fred

thanks buy-online is the info there now ok or should I remove some more? I dont know what the diferent things are.

@ webmarm will you please go away, you are confusing me with your avatar. I keep reading your post and thinking to myself when did I post that.

YouTrek

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herb Ô¿Ô¬:
    wondering if this is a negative benefit: google doesn't like mirror sites? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what's the solution? If I register it = bad. If I don't and they do, in my name = bad. Do I have to register them in someone else's name?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread