The ethics of Affiliate Marketing
    Hi!

I felt like discussing this topics to get insights and opinions.

It is unfortunate that Affiliate Marketing is not always ethical. Review pages for instance are on way to attract traffic, yet it is a conflict of interest to represent a product, and then review it. I find it difficult too since often times we don't even get to try the product ourselves, and have to review it based simply on the previews.

Plus, a lot of clickbank products are based on shaky claims, and not exactly as advertised. While I can put a blind eye to that, I find that there are forums, youtube video's, etc. which can really act as a barrier since people raise these concerns. Good products are seldom hard to find, and more importantly hard to sell since they do not offer any extraordinary claims.

What do you guys think? Thank you. Again, I am looking for opinions since members here have experience. You can agree or disagree.

Hello & : AstonMartian

You mention Clickbank only, so I get the impression that you think info products (ebooks) are what affiliate marketing is about. If you take the time to explore ABW in depth, you'll find that most of us here do not market info products, but all types of consumer and business products, e.g., jewelry, clothing, checks, sporting goods, toys, home decor & what have you.

That said, you do not have to purchase 1000s of products to promote them. You do want to select ethical merchants...which is a science & an art in itself. There's plenty of info on ABW about that.

As far as review sites are concerned, if you feel reviewing/promoting info products you don't own is unethical, then don't do it. There are unethical people everywhere, at every level of business & personal life. Don't waste time thinking about those who are or what they are doing. Decide what your own ethics are & stick by them.

I will say this: focus on your goals & get your own biz off the ground. If you start searching for all the negatives, you won't even take the first baby steps you must take.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

ABW Ambassador
    Hello AstonMartian,

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Are you saying: "Affiliate Marketing is, generally speaking, not ethical"?

That's a pretty broad subject.

Hi Dave!

No, I am not saying that. I was just looking for your opinions, and how you looked at it, or dealt with it.

Plus, some products developers don't pay at times, and withhold your commissions. How can you check to see if you are getting paid accordingly, or how do you deal with someone who doesn't pay.

Where in Canada do you live? I live in Calgary.

Hi JoyUnltd!

Thanks for the heartwarming emoticon. When it comes to the net, I do not have much ethics. I know that there are other affiliate businesses too. Amazon is a pretty good one.

I almost have my website, and youtube videos. All I need to do now is create a blog, and host it. So I am very determined in that sense.
    Last edited by TheAstonMartian; January 10th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome to ABW AstonMartian,

I am in Ottawa.

Ethics are near and dear to many of us here - both in business and our personal lives. ABW is a great place to come and find like-minded merchants and affiliates.

Unfortunately we are talking business here - and worse yet, business over the Internet so it can get very shady if you are not properly prepared. The nice thing is that you can easily protect yourself. If you don't like how some one is operating or you've just been stiffed for commissions - send your traffic somewhere else.

Fool me once shame on you... you know the rest.

electors Plearter
    Thank you for the advice. I am still in the initial stages, so my parents and family members don't know about this. I am trying to find success, then I will share.

Its nice to get to know people who are in the same ocean as you. Of course, I am in a boat, and maybe you are in a ship, so lot's to learn and adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAstonMartian View Post
    Plus, some products developers don't pay at times, and withhold your commissions. How can you check to see if you are getting paid accordingly, or how do you deal with someone who doesn't pay.
    <snip>
    I almost have my website, and youtube videos. All I need to do now is create a blog, and host it. So I am very determined in that sense.
    Checking in at ABW can help steer you towards good merchants, regardless of the network. When I'm having a problem with a merchant, I'll pop in here & more often than not, find a thread about them. You'll also get to know many affiliate program managers & gradually learn all the ins & outs.

Congrats on your website progress! Much success to you!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread