Affiliate Manager
    Are discussion forums considered a "leak"
    I am in the process of creating my site for my product, after which I'll create an affiliate network. I am considering having discussion forums, but am wondering, "If I have discussion forums on my site, would affiliates consider this a leak?"

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hi,

A discussion forum is not a leak that would offend affiliates. If the forum is still on your domain and you are promoting only your products in there, affiliates will still be compensated for sales from their visitors who end up on your forum pages, the same as if their visitor clicked around your site and found other products of interest to buy. As long as you're not adding conflicting links in the forum that would override your affiliate's cookie or lead them off to another merchant altogether, it should be fine.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    Alright that makes sense. Great to hear! So as long as it doesn't direct traffic away from my site then it's OK.

Thanks

I would be careful about links and signatures, etc. A lot of discussion forums offer that ability and anyone could come along and post an affiliate link. I might see it as a leak, but if it's policed properly than I don't think it would become an issue.

Affiliate Manager
    That's an excellent point. I can always disallow signatures before a certain number of posts, like here on atbestweb, which prevents spammers from getting on there.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthhouse View Post
    That's an excellent point. I can always disallow signatures before a certain number of posts, like here on atbestweb, which prevents spammers from getting on there.
    I started a discussion forum recently and was surprised at the amount of spam I was seeing. This wasn't for a merchant website, but if it were I could see several affiliates trying to post their own links on my discussion forums.

Affiliate Manager
    My forums will be in the self help genre, anger management specifically. I'm not too concerned about spam from competition, and again, can always disallow links in posts.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread