Affiliate Manager
    Newbie Merchant in Canada
    I am a soon to be merchant and will be setting up an affiliate network. I live in Canada, and have yet to explore anything to do with taxes. Are there any Canadians here who have experience with this? I know it's probably not a simple answer, but I'm just looking for something to help me get started with my education in regards to tax laws and affiliate marketing in Canada.

Also, I won't be doing business only in Canada, so is that a factor?

ABW Ambassador
    fifthhouse,

Are you setting up an affiliate network or affiliate program as a merchant? Where will you be making your income (US or Canada)?
    Last edited by CanadianDave; January 13th, 2011 at 06:03 AM.

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for responding to my post. I will be setting up an affiliate program as a merchant, and will be doing business online, selling a digital download. People will purchase it from the US, Canada, and anywhere else in the world. But the business, a sole proprietorship, will be based in Canada.

Our Revenue Canada has yet to get into online taxes. If you are a credible company of course you will pay. You should be talking to an accountant here in Canada.

6. Thanks From:

If your Joining a network such as SAS/CJ etc.. then I would ask the network the question, they work work with other Canadian Merchants and my already know the answer or know who to ask.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

8. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    OK so it's just a matter of filing my regular taxes including self employment/small business income. That's simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthhouse View Post
    OK so it's just a matter of filing my regular taxes including self employment/small business income. That's simple enough.
    That is what I do for my Afiliate income.
    Last edited by kse; January 13th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Well that's a great relief. When I saw all the subforums for tax laws on this site, I thought "Oh Oh, this doesn't look good". I'm glad to know it's nothing complicated.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    I think it will be a bit different too because it's a downloadable product. If it was something being shipped to or from a particular state, I think it would be very different.

Where are you located? I'm in Vancouver and we manage affiliate programs from here. If you need a little guidance or help just let me know (or any other OPM in the forum).

Best,

14. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Sarah,

I'm currently in Sao Paulo Brazil, but will be operating my business out of Nova Scotia. I might be interested in your help. When you say you manage affiliate programs, do you mean that you find affiliates for merchants and manage those relationships, etc?

Regards,
    Craig

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Hi Craig,

Yes, OPMs (which stands for Outsourced Program Manager / Management) help you design, launch and manage your affiliate programs so they are successful. There are a number of good ones on this forum and you're welcome to check out the OPM section to see who's out there.

Let me know if you need anything else

Sarah

17. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the information Sarah. I'm getting very close to launching my product so I will be developing my affiliate end of things soon.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread