Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problem reading

11 73.33%
  • Still OK, but prefer larger text size

1 6.67%
  • Uncomfortable reading

3 20.00%
    I wonder how many poeple will feel 11px font size is too small for reading? I am using it too much and afraid some visitors might not feel comfortable with it.

[edited Pool to Poll - it was driving me nuts!]

It depends on font face. 11px Verdana is nice imo, but it might be too small for some.

The font is the critical thing, personally I use mainly 10pt on my sites and no-ones complained (maybe they just left).

I remember ages ago reading a research article on the web (don't ask me where as I've never found it again since) by some University on font styles and sizes. It was pretty comprehensive looking at different ages of readers, context, style and anything else you can think of.

The only thing that I really remember is that 2 fonts - arial and verdana were found to be the easiest to read on a screen and most preferred by all ages in all situations. As I've always used arial, I clicked away feeling smug and have never been able to give anyone the link since. Any other font was significantly behind these two which were neck and neck.

ABW Ambassador
    11 is fine. I use 10 for most of my sites too. I wouldn't go below 10. I remember reading usability studies on this and part of my brother does for a living is making sure web sites are usable for all site visitors and you don't want to go below 10.

I use 10pt Verdana for most text, but will often use 8pt Bold Verdana for some elements on the page.

However, the size depends on the font. If you're using something like Times Roman, then 11pt may be better.

I think ABW is 10pt Verdana isn't it?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

11px ~= 9pt = text size of this forum.

TrustNo1, are you referring to px or pt?!

ABW Ambassador
    You know, i don't even know the difference between a px and a pt. I just know on my editor for font size it says 10. Don't know if that's a px or a pt

I checked the this forum and it says Verdana 9px which is easy to read. Don't think i would go smaller.

Px = pixels, Pt = points. Points are usually used for print media, books, mags, etc. Pixels are usually used for digital media. 11px is good to use. If you feel it is a problem, go up to 12px. 12px is easier to read but not to big.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I think it's fine. I use 10, 11, and 12 on my sites. I think 800x600 resolution is most common right now so 11px reads fine IMO.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

ABW Ambassador
    Verdana is a very good font for small text, but i would be hesitant to use any other font that small.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread