ABW Ambassador
    Yes hacked. Some company I'm not going to disclose full details, but basically they hacked into my account, changed from cheque to direct deposit, and changed the account Payee. Scary. This suppose company doesn't even have a CJ account under that name, so it doesn't seem to be an account error.

So I changed my email and password, and will be keeping a close eye on this.

So folks remember to change your password a couple times a year.

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open." Thomas Dewar

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >So folks remember to change your password a couple times a year.

Follow the basic rules of password creation.

No dictionary words, mixed upper & lower case and numbers.

And I hope CJ has a function that alerts their staff when someone tries to break into an account using a brute-force dictionary program.

It's lucky for you they didn't change your password. I don't know why you don't name them, theres no way something like that is an accident.

It's important to get all that spyware off your system including InverseIP (your provider really doesnt need to spy on you to see if your connection is ok, they know if everything is working their end anyway)

The most evil spyware of all IMO is Aureate. I'm quite surprised to have not seen any mention of it on these boards.

Aureate has many components and this is what just one of those .dll files does

quote:
    advert.dll

This DLL creates a hidden window every time you open your browser. It creates and sends 4 pages of information to the Aureate servers using port 1749 on your system, these pages include:

Your name as listed in the system registry (not the name you installed one of the programs with)

Your IP address

The reverse DNS match of your address. (ells them what ISP and area of country you are in
    A listing of ALL software that is shown in your registry as being installed. (Not just the companies they work with)

This DLL sends the following information to their server on all URL's you visit: A.) ad banners you may click on B.) all downloads you do showing the filename/file size/date/time/type of file(image, zip,executable, etc) C.) full time and date stamps of all your actions while using your browser D.) the remote dialup number you are dialing in on (taken out of your dialer configuration) E.) dialup password if saved, does not "appear" at first glance to send this through to them.

Contains programmers note: "Show me the money! I want to be Mike!"

If you dont have adaware its worth getting, it only takes a few minutes to download and set up.

Get a good firewall too. I used to like zonealarm. zonealarm is just about the easiest to set up it has a simple wizard that asks you a couple of questions at the beginning like "Do you want to allow hackers into your system? Y/N" and then your ready to rock.

[This message was edited by Warhead on January 10, 2003 at 01:26 PM.]

OMG it doesn't get much uglier than that!

If the average internet surfer saw that post he'd probably shut off his machine and never turn it back on.

Abigail

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Welcome to the scummy world of the online Ad industry. They'll stoop to using any method to scrape off sellable information with spywares and reguritate it back with adwarez. It gives everyone that warm feeling knowing this industry is lurking through your drawers with technology burgulary toolsets.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    Have you notified CJ? Has CJ paid anything to the hacker?

This should be reported to law enforcement. If they are doing this to your account, I suspect they are doing it to others as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Cj knows, and is working it on ....on their end, and I've also contacted the police, It will be a big process.

My biggest concern is "What else do they have of mine?"

Identity theft is huge these days. So yes I plan to take this all the way.

ABW Ambassador
    The company in Question ...I would announce, but the problem is ....it may not be them, but trying to give them money for buying and selling. as they are sort of a commodity thing. So instead of giving a company a bad name, and bad press, that is irriversible, and not to mention I could get charged with slander, I will wait for all findings, and then release what information at that time.

Scary, Very Scary!

and don't use s3cure as a password either that's been way over done.. Hackers aren't studid when it comes to this stuff.

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Do you use link to connect to CJ that has your username and password in it? I've done that for a year now and realize that if anyone could get access to my computer and history, they could easily see that.

I think I will go back to the old way of logging on, entering my password manualy each time.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

you know what a couple of days beore I got an email from CJ saying this is your password as you've requested. and I didnt requested it as I'm using the login url for it..I'm pissed I'm gonna change my password too.

He who steals a minaret prepares a proper
    cover beforehand, said of someone who intends to do something illegal.

ABW Ambassador
    the url I use for Cj I have to type in the password, sometimes, I forget to Log out, that is the only thing I can think of.

My password consisted of letters and numbers.

I would say the company, but as I said it may not be them, but rather trying to directly deposit into that account to do some buying.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread