Affiliate Blog - should I buy a new domain or put it on my current one?
    Let's say I already have a domain mypersonalblog.com and I want to do an affiliate blog, should I buy a new domain or I can just put a some domain on my current one like mypersonalblog.com/onesuite or mypersonalblog.com/bluehost or should I get a domain like coolproducts.com/bluehost

I just signed up with Onesuite Affiliate program under Share-a-sale and was thinking of ways to promote it. I also have an Affiliate account with BlueHost and was thinking of signing up for a few more and put up a blog about it.

I use both services so my reviews will be honest and personal experience, making it easy for me to say and write things.

Anyways, I'm just trying this Affiliate thing and not sure if I will make money out of it.
    Last edited by 2busy; January 18th, 2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Unlinked URLs

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    if you buy a new domain then you'll have to spend money and time every year to renew the domain.
    I don't understand your other question about adding a domain to your domain....
    just install your blog or blogs on your current domain.

Why not post affiliate links on your original blog?

you can have one domain like coolproducts.com create a blog and post 1 review page for each product you wish to promote.
    Last edited by Govind Kannan; January 18th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

What I think you are talking about is using a sub domain like affiliateblog.mysite.com and hairsprayrocknroll.mysite.com.

Yes you can do this, but it's not the smartest SEO wise.

Sorry yes I mean a sub domain. Okay let me try this again.

Let say I have a current domain thomasv.com and I use it as a personal blog. Is it okay just to add a sub domain like thomasv.com/onesuite and thomasv.com/bluehost and do it from there or I should get a domain for my affiliates like coolservicesandproducts.com then add a sub domain for every affiliate program I join?

GoDaddy has a $1.75 domain promo at the moment so I might just grab it. BTW, sorry if I'm not supposed to post links but I made sure first those links aren't affiliate links, still sorry if isn't allowed.

Yes you can have subdomains, but just so you are not confused. yoursite.com/somethingelse is not the same as somethingelse.yoursite.com

yoursite.com/somethingelse means that "somethingelse" is a page on yoursite.com

somethingelse.yoursite.com means that somethingelse is a child domain of yoursite.com. Just think of it like a branch on a tree. The Tree is your domain, the branch is your subdomain.

Should you have separate domains for each link? It depends on if the different links are different niches. I suggest having one domain for each niche. Subdomains are not smart SEO wise.

For an affiliate blog it is much easier to succeed when you have the keywords you are going for in the name and an EMD can be majorly helpful. I have gone to no. 1 in Google without a lot of site development due to an EMD.

So I would spend some time considering the best name that works for your affiliate products without violating any copyrite laws.

Quote Originally Posted by InfoScout View Post
    > yoursite.com/somethingelse is not the same as somethingelse.yoursite.com <
    That might not be true -- with some hosting providers, subdomains are actually implemented as subdirectories, so that if the primary domain is mysite.com, then a subdomain called sub1.mysite.com displays the same content that can be viewed as mysite.com/sub1/

But a "subdomain" is a fundamentally different concept than a directory or folder under a domain. The subdomain could even point to a completely different web server.

There is no "right" way to handle this, and every strategy has benefits and drawbacks.

More than a year ago, I reluctantly decided to "break off" all the article content from my primary domain to a completely separate domain. In hindsight, I don't think it was the "right thing to do," because I had 14 years of backlinks to many articles at the main site. I split off the separate blog domain because I wanted to migrate all my "article" content from static pages into a content management system (first Joomla, then WordPress), but I was hesitant to install new scripts on my primary domain. (My "article content" has a very wide scope, including professional advice as well as personal commentary that's very far afield.)

Currently, I'm dealing with some headaches that were caused by my installation of a WordPress blog on the "primary domain" of my HostGator account; because I did this, I can't create custom 404 pages for any of my secondary domains or sub-domains. (At some point this year, I'll probably create a new, separate hosting account with a primary domain that doesn't use WordPress, and then I'll migrate all my other domains to the new account. If only someone had warned me about this problem, I could have set up the first account differently and avoided this annoying "correction" project.)

For my newest project, I set up a directory site on a new domain, then added a "blog" subdomain (blog.sitename.com) for a WordPress blog which provides "about" and "update" information about the directory site.

Always start your "decision process" by clearly identifying the information and audience for each "segment" of your web site, and also consider the administrative problems if you'll manage multiple blogs under a single domain (subdirectories), under multiple subdomains, or under multiple domains.

Why don't you add sub domain and host the blog code with the same hosting account. It will reduce your cost for maintaining the hosting account and also helps to continue with the existing domain name.

Quote Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post
    For an affiliate blog it is much easier to succeed when you have the keywords you are going for in the name and an EMD can be majorly helpful. I have gone to no. 1 in Google without a lot of site development due to an EMD.

So I would spend some time considering the best name that works for your affiliate products without violating any copyrite laws.
    What's an EMD?

@MarkWelch: Thanks for your advice.

What's an EMD?
    Exact Match Domain
    A domain whose name is an Exact Match for a competitive keyword/phrase.

Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking about that but it will be costly if I do it for every affiliate program.

On the other hand, it will be cheap if I will sign up for domain promo that goes usually for $2 bucks per domain and if the affiliate program fails after one year then I just don't renew the domain name right?

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Exact Match Domains worked well for a while but Google is clamping down on them, authority site with lots of different content will do it ever time.

I got my first Onesuite sale! Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Guys can anyone give me tips about promoting my affiliate with Onesuite? I mean how do you promote a product that involves VoIP, phone card and fax services? Sadly enough I only have 1 sale for the month of February.

If you are building a new site, you need to add information that would be useful for people who could benefit from the products you sell, and remember that it takes time. You may be adding content related to your promotions every day for 6 months (or 2 weeks or a year, who knows?) before you see another sale, you are competing with other affiliates. This isn't a business to get wealthy in one month, a first sale right away is very good, but you just keep working to get more sales.
    Good luck.

Congrats on the sale. 2busy's exactly right. You have to continue to build content for the audience that will benefit from the product. Ask yourself a few questions:

Who is going to use this product?
    In What ways will they use the product?
    Will you need to do geo targeting for SEO? (When you set up your site under gogles webmaster tool, what will you select. If it was a site about the best pet stores in London, you wouldn't need to target traffic from the US.)
    How much information can you provide and how frequently will you post?

Just create some good content for the audience.
    Last edited by InfoScout; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Magenta"]Marie Sanders[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [URL="http://mariesandersonline.com"]htttp://www.mariesandersonline.com[/URL]

Congratulations on your sale, Thomasv!

I would recommend creating a separate domain so that you could register one that is related to your niche and build it as an authority site. Then you could create a backlink from your blog to your new site.

You also need to promote more than 1 product on your site. People often want to know about a few products and not just one. It would be good to have at least 3 products so that your visitor can compare and contrast each product with each other. Create product review pages since these converts higher.

Hope that helps!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

It really depends on how niche specific your domain is, and how you intend to promote the affliliate site.

For example, if you have a relationships site with general relationships advice, you might use a subdomain for "get your ex back" "dating tips for men" dating tips for women" and various subniches that are related to each other but not closely related enough to build it all on one domain. I have done this myself and it worked.

However, if you have a domain whith just general info and no real niche, like your personal domain, I would recommend just getting a niche specific domain. Also, I don't really buy into kw specific domains. instead choose something that is relevant to the niche but brandable. This way as you build your authority, you create a brand that you can use to become known within your niche.

21. Thanks From:

mypersonalblog.com/onesuite or mypersonalblog.com/bluehost
    Check with each program's TOS first before you set up a directory with a merchant name as they may prohibit use of their name in your URL.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I think I'll get a domain where I can put around 3 to 5 affiliates but somehow related to each other. It's the end of March already, and again only 1 sale for this month for my Onesuite Affiliate.

I will try to add more info in my Onesuite page and maybe next month I'll get a new domain do more SEO related work on it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread