Affiliate Manager
    Domain name age ranking power question
    One factor in the strength of a site's reach rankings is the age of the domain. A question I have is, does that age factor become less strong as the years go by? For example: A site that is now five years old is stronger than my site, all other factors being equal. But say in fifteen years from now, does that factor have as much weight relative to my site, when that site is twenty years old, and mine fifteen?

It's a little like the age difference in couples. When people are young ten years can seem like a huge age difference, but when they are older it has less meaning. I'm just wondering if there is something similar with domains.

Lightbulb
    I don't think age alone in a site means as much to the search engines as a site of equal age that has become an authority in something. standing still may mean going backwards.

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Yes I think you are absolutely correct. But I am just trying to understand the age factor alone, in particular with respect to my specific question.

Here is what matt cutts says about domain age YouTube - How much does a domain's age affect its ranking?

But in several of the niches I watch I've noticed a few of the older sites 10+ years ranking above the newer better SEOd sites of 5 years or less. But I think it might also be a keyword rich domain issue too.

6. Thanks From:

I think it's probably a factor, but not a big one.

In your example, I'm sure there will be other differences that would be much more relevant to search rankings 15 years later.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenz View Post
    Here is what matt cutts says about domain age YouTube - How much does a domain's age affect its ranking?

But in several of the niches I watch I've noticed a few of the older sites 10+ years ranking above the newer better SEOd sites of 5 years or less. But I think it might also be a keyword rich domain issue too.
    Thanks for the vid clip, it was very helpful.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I think it's probably a factor, but not a big one.

In your example, I'm sure there will be other differences that would be much more relevant to search rankings 15 years later.
    That makes sense. Thank you for your help.

if it's a quality site with poor SEO, it SHOULD do better than a new site with better SEO in the theoretical sense that it should have a stronger support system around it, more authorative backlinks, etc.

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for your advice. That's helpful.

Here's some perspective on how "age" impacts SEO.

I recently registered (Dec 7) and launched (Jan 1) a new web directory site, which I'll call NewSite.

NewSite directly competes with another web site (OldSite) which I built from 2004-2007 and sold to another company.

OldSite consistently appears above-the fold on the first page of Google search results for nearly all relevant keyword-phrases -- even though it hasn't been updated and has very stale content, with many invalid directory links and no new content for several years. Objectively, OldSite is still very "relevant and useful," but people who use the directory quickly discover that it's stale.

When I launched NewSite, I did NOT expect to draw significant traffic from organic search in 2011, because it had taken several years for OldSite to appear in the first page of search results for most relevant keyword-phrases. My immediate focus was on acquiring traffic from PPC Search (Google AdWords), but of course good PPC Search strategy includes keyword optimization to maximize the "Quality Score" (and thus minimize the bid amounts required to get traffic).

To my surprise, within just a couple of weeks, I've found many dozens of directory pages at NewSite on the first page of Google's organic search results, and almost always on the first or second page of search results, for the keyword-phrases that I believe "matter."

NewSite is much fresher, better-organized, and far more "relevant and useful" for its target audience than OldSite, but I haven't found ANY keyword-phrase for which NewSite outranks OldSite, and I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

I expect that Google's algorithms would reflect, not that OldSite has been "registered" for 7 years, but that OldSite has been "reliably relevant and useful" for many keyword-phrases for 5+ years, and unless there's a significant change to the content at OldSite, I don't expect NewSite to rank higher than OldSite during 2011, (no matter how hard I work on getting backlinks from authority sites or any other strategies).

This will present a challenge for the owners of OldSite: if they take steps to update their directory, the change might trigger Google algorithms that might worsen their position. This seems unlikely, since all my efforts to contact the owners of OldSite over the past 60 days have failed.

However, there are many dozens of lower-quality directory pages and web sites (some of them active for 10+ years) that NewSite has quickly rolled past.
    Last edited by markwelch; January 19th, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

15. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    This is very interesting and thought provoking. It sounds to me like google has very complicated algorithms, which we know, but this demonstrates that very well. The general theme I'm picking up is that site age does matter, but a newer site can catch up with well applied seo, consistent updating, and time.

domain registration doesn't have any effect on Search engine. but its true that i you register today you may get your desired domain name but if you wait for tomorrow then it may not available. this is the only problem.
    thanks Darrenz for sharing this awesome link.

18. Thanks From:

My God empirical evidence from someone on this site. Thank you for something useful.

It's refreshing isn't it. C'mon you know I'm right. Admit it. Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    Here's some perspective on how "age" impacts SEO.

I recently registered (Dec 7) and launched (Jan 1) a new web directory site, which I'll call NewSite.

NewSite directly competes with another web site (OldSite) which I built from 2004-2007 and sold to another company.

20. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    The consensus seems to be that absolutely all other things being equal, the longer a site is visible to search engines the higher that site will appear in search rankings.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread