Lightbulb Authority sites, directories, social bookmarks?
    I'm new to affiliate marketing and I'm still trying to understand SEO. I've understood its functionality and what its criteria is for giving top spots to pages. I'm reading material here and there about how to rank high. Some of these sources tell me that I should leave links of my page at:

• Authority Sites
    • Directories
    • Social Bookmarks
    • GOV sites

As far as GOV sites are concerned, my problem with them has been they don't ask for "Website" when you want to leave a comment to their posts so can I insert a text link within the comment?

Regarding the other 3, I don't even know who are being referred to in them? Can someone please throw some light on this topic and tell me what they mean?

An "Authority Site" is any site that is viewed as an authority by others. A well-organized, human-edited directory is one type of "authority site." Social bookmarks would include services like digg and "delicious." Of course, it's very hard to get links from .gov sites.

You're really looking at the wrong advice, I think. Your primary goal should always be to provide "relevant and useful" content which other web sites (that are "relevant and useful" to the same audience) will WANT to link to.

If you waste time trying to get "backlinks" in inappropriate ways (for example, by embedding URLs in comments on other web sites), you're just annoying other people and creating no real benefit for your site.

On the other hand, if you focus on "providing a useful service," and look for ways to provide service to the right audience (for example, by providing meaningful, useful responses in relevant discussion forums and by posting "relevant and useful" commments to relevant blogs, you might be more effective.

Relevant. Useful. Relevant. Useful.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    An "Authority Site" is any site that is viewed as an authority by others. A well-organized, human-edited directory is one type of "authority site." Social bookmarks would include services like digg and "delicious." Of course, it's very hard to get links from .gov sites.

You're really looking at the wrong advice, I think. Your primary goal should always be to provide "relevant and useful" content which other web sites (that are "relevant and useful" to the same audience) will WANT to link to.

If you waste time trying to get "backlinks" in inappropriate ways (for example, by embedding URLs in comments on other web sites), you're just annoying other people and creating no real benefit for your site.

On the other hand, if you focus on "providing a useful service," and look for ways to provide service to the right audience (for example, by providing meaningful, useful responses in relevant discussion forums and by posting "relevant and useful" commments to relevant blogs, you might be more effective.

Relevant. Useful. Relevant. Useful.
    Thanks for those words, I have been since yesterday over getting a better listing on Google. Can you give examples of such sites? and a little more detail about the relevant reply part.

Hi, I have been in your position too. I started learning about internet marketing and SEO about 10 months back....have learnt a lot since then....and mountain loads more to learn ... some times the information can be overwhelming. Take it in your own stride. Any information you want to find answers to , just google it, and you will have so many different leads.. Join forums like this and you will learn a lot.

Smile
    You could leave good comments in other websites that are related to your site. or bookmark your blogs too in social bookmarking. Have you tried to submit article to the leading article directories. If you write a really good article, many people will read your article then they might click your link to your site.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread