ABW Ambassador
    Never had one, never even used one. I have a $1000 credit towards one at either Best Buy or Circuit Ciy tomorrow morning. Trying to keep it around that in price, will pay any difference. I know there are a couple of other threads i will reread. Anybody have any advice? What to look for? Good brands, etc. Thanks.

Just started looking, this look decent, i guess?
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...oid=108780&c=1

That looks good. I use Dell notebooks but Toshiba would be second on my list. You might want to upgrade to 1GB of memory. I always buy laptop memory from Crucial. Best of luck your purchase with, you won't go back to a desktop, I just use laptops.

I have a Toshiba Satellite and it seems ok to me it does all I need wireless etc, mind you I'm not a boffin so don't take my word for it.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Just reread all the laptop threads i could find and it looks like people like the Dells and Toshibas. So if i want to go outside and work on my sites, get online i would need Centrino?

My day j*b furnished me with a Toshiba Satellite a few years ago. It was a total piece of s#!t. The battery hardly kept a charge, the power supply had to be replaced, it had a crappy display, and finally the keyboard just died.

This year, they replaced the laptop with a Dell. So far, it's been known to hold a charge for weeks on end and the display is crystal clear. It's a Centrino, but I don't think that's mandatory for wireless use, as we use a plain old Cisco wireless card to connect to our access points.

Get a Dell, dude.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

i bought my first laptop (a Toshiba Satellite P25 Series 2.4 Ghz) a year ago and love it. I'll never go back to a desktop again.

I do alot of heavy processing no problems.
    I will be adding more memory soon, it only came with 512 but it will hold 2048 MB.

My mother bought a dell desktop and it was junk. Sorry i just don't like anything about Dell. They are cheap! But you get what you pay for.

Sc%^#w a Dell Get a Toshiba
    dave

I must admit my desktop is a Dell Dimension and prior to the parasites getting onto it I was a great computer. Nowadays there is that much crap on it it has slowed down but it is still a pretty good one. I would recomend one to anybody.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Join the parasite-free generation - buy a Mac Powerbook or iBook.

ABW Ambassador
    FWIW, most features can be matched from brand to brand (RAM, processor speed, etc), but some Toshiba models offer far longer battery duration than any others (up to 12 hours).

ABW Ambassador
    Well this is my second post with my new Toshiba They didn't sell Dells at Best Buy or Circuit City, plus i heard good things about toshiba and so far it's great. But i need a mouse, this tapping ain't for me

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Well this is my second post with my new Toshiba They didn't sell Dells at Best Buy or Circuit City, plus i heard good things about toshiba and so far it's great. But i need a mouse, this tapping ain't for me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    A wireless mouse in conjuction with a laptop is a wonderful thing....

I use a laptop exclusively and I wouldn't be able to do it without my gyration mouse...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm in the market myself for a desktop replacement. After reviewing all my options I'm about ready to switch to Apple. I've got my eyes set on the Powerbook G4 17" 1.5ghz. Looks mighty fine and I'm sure it's robust.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Snib I just bought one a few months back, lovely. I use it for web stuff and video editing and love it on trips.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Well this is my second post with my new Toshiba They didn't sell Dells at Best Buy or Circuit City, plus i heard good things about toshiba and so far it's great. But i need a mouse, this tapping ain't for me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you made a Wise choice! When i got my laptop my first thought was to hook a mouse up but it you give it a couple of weeks you will not even remember a mouse and if you have had any shoulder blade pain from your mouse you won't after you get use to the touch pad.
    dave

ABW Ambassador

Agreed, that is my one suggestion. A thumb mouse works ok as well, and does not need a flat surface.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But i need a mouse, this tapping ain't for me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah the scratch-and-tap thingamabobs are a pain in the wahoozie.

Why not just plug in your mouse from your desktop PC for the time being? Wireless is definitely the way to go though, and a bit more portable. You should be able to find one for about $29 at Bestbuy or WalMart, or about $18 at OS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IamJaloppy:
    Agreed, that is my one suggestion. A thumb mouse works ok as well, and does not need a flat surface. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, me too.
    Thumb mouse, aka trackball thingummy.
    No picking up fluff off the desktop, no nasty mousemats, no clearing space for it, works on your knee as well as a desk, no arm movements, blah de blah.

As a bonus, you also get to find out how clean your fingers are 'cause that's where all the junk on the buttons comes from

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    I'm in the market myself for a desktop replacement. After reviewing all my options I'm about ready to switch to Apple. I've got my eyes set on the Powerbook G4 17" 1.5ghz. Looks mighty fine and I'm sure it's robust.

- Scott <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go for it, I just recieved my powerbook 17 inch yesterday, and I am in love with OS X (the apple operating system). It never hangs, it's beautiful, it's too easy. Safari (the browser) is MUCH better than IE, the ipod is it's best buddy - you can really unleash the ipod's full potential as a real PDA with the mac. The widescreen 17" display is amazing for watching DVDs, Speed is as good as any 2.5 Ghz Intel chip. the iLife software suit is great, and photoshop CS has come to life.. The list can go on and on and on ..

-- I highly recommend the powerbook
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Great to hear Buddah! Did you upgrade your ram to 1gb because I don't think 512mb is very much. I'm currently running 1.5gb on my desktop and am very pleased with it.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Yep, it's IGB of ram.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

TrustNo1,

When I decided to get a laptop, the customer service person started with "What are you going to use it for". That’s how I decided

How I decided which model to buy was by which company would provide for all my needs. I wanted Windows 2000 and it was an act of God getting them to provide it, so I went with the only company that was willing to give me what I wanted at the price I wanted.

Ebay the certificate, and use the money to buy a Dell. There's a $750 off a $1500+ purchase coupon for Inspiron laptops tomorrow from Dell Home.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread