CPC revenue model for affiliates via Amazon Product Ads
    I've been reading up a little on Amazon Product Ads and people touting them as a competitor to other CPC services like PriceGrabber, SHopping.com, NextAg, etc.

My question is, for advertisers, is anyone aware of a plan to offer a CPC-based commission structure to advertisers?

I run a deals/coupons site, and have been hit by Amazon's "adjustment" of my commission percentages, thus making the promotion of Amazon products unappealing. A CPC model where they're guaranteed a % of the click revenue would alleviate Amazon's concerns about losing money on me, or so I would think.

Anyone know anything about this? I didn't see anything like this being currently offered through Amazon Product Ads for advertisers, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Thumbs down
    Amazon has operated its own pay-per-click advertising system since 2006, called ClickRiver. It also integrates ads from Google AdWords (I suppose it might also pick up ads from other sources).

Google treats these context-based placements on Amazon (and on About.com, and probably on many other sites) as part of the "search network," not as part of the Content/Display Network.

And yes, of course, this is a "leak" for Amazon affiliates, who are not compensated for click-stream revenue that Amazon receives from traffic sent from affiliates.
    Last edited by markwelch; January 23rd, 2011 at 02:39 PM.

Ugh, sorry, I completely butchered the original question. I meant to say publishers, not advertisers. I was looking at this in the context of product comparison engines, and in particular, this report:

The Top Ten Comparison Shopping Engines Compared

Some publishers obviously have affiliate relationships with companies like Shopping.com, PriceGrabber, etc., and use a CPC model to make commissions (CPC-based) off of traffic they send to those respective shopping sites.

So I'm just curious, is there something comparable to Amazon as far as displaying products from the shopping API? Obviously there's a CPA model that's been in place for years, but it sounds like advertisers are paying on a per-click basis (correct me if I'm wrong) for any traffic Amazon sends them, and I'm wondering if they're syndicating this content through their API somehow?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread