Greetings ABWers --

I come seeking one, or at most a few, volunteers to review a list of domain names. My sense is that most of the domains are affiliate merchants, most of them LinkShare merchants. But I don't have any fast way to check, whereas I suspect some people here know almost off-hand.

The list at issue is at http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/18...xclusions.html . I'd love to receive (email, PM, whatever) a list of which merchants on this list are LS merchants, which are CJ, which are BeFree, which Performics, which independent.

If anyone is inclined to take on this task, perhaps you can post a quick reply here to avoid duplication of effort.

I think the page speaks for itself, as to what I'm doing here. For those who don't care to click through the link: I'm classifying the exclusion list operated by 180solutions. My sense is that dozens or hundreds of major LinkShare merchants are excluded from 180's targeting, while oddly few or no CJ, Performics, or independent merchants have received this benefit. Before we can begin to puzzle through why that might be the case, we have to confirm the facts. Hence the request above.

Note that the page linked above isn't yet "public" in the sense of being linked from the rest of my site. Special preview for ABW'ers! With that in mind, the formatting and presentation are just in draft form for now, and are slated for improvement before the page is finalized.

Ben

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ben,

You can just log into LS and check your list against their Merchant list. If you go to "Join Programs" and then "All Categories" you'll get an alaphabetized list which should make checking pretty quick since your list is alphabetized. You can do that with all the Networks.

Some on that list aren't on the list as a Merchant with an aff program. They should be pretty obvious by their name though.

Ben,

I have a list in spreedsheet if that will help? I can not read that small tiny print you have on your list! OLD and all that....

Not sure if I can attach using this, but your welcome to it.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as the merchants, looks like all LS merchants. I didn't recognize a CJ, Performics or BF merchant in there.

Many thanks to Sandra for providing the spreadsheet. This let me quickly chug through the merchant list. So far I'm up to 154 confirmed LinkShare merchants on 180's exclusion list. And not a single CJ merchant, Performics merchant, or independent merchant.

This is an interesting finding in its own right. How did it happen that so many LS merchants got this substantial protection against targeting by 180 and its advertisers, while no CJ merchants receive this benefit? In any event, bearing in mind Mr. Sal's "off topic" warning, perhaps this is a subject for another forum. (Whether the LS forum, the CJ forum, or the 180 forum, I don't yet know...)

Ben,

Gordon and I are the ones off topic! Gordon is always trying to get me in trouble!

Sorry Ben, please continue with your thread and delete my posts.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This is an interesting finding in its own right. How did it happen that so many LS merchants got this substantial protection against targeting by 180 and its advertisers, while no CJ merchants receive this benefit? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering that all those LS Merchants started showing up on that list almost to the day that 180 needed to start implementing the new Addendum they signed with LS, maybe that has some bearing on it? I have no knowledge that anything similiar has occurred recently with any of the other Networks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Considering that all those LS Merchants started showing up on that list almost to the day that 180 needed to start implementing the new Addendum they signed with LS, maybe that has some bearing on it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Right, this is the natural inference -- that 180 decided it needed to put LS merchants on its exclusion list, in order to avoid violating LS's Addendum by targeting those merchants. I think such a decision would be wholly correct -- any merchant not on the exclusion list can be, and all too often is, targeted by a 180 advertiser.

But if this is what 180 thought, why did they only protect these 150 to 200 LS merchants? What about all the rest? There are, of course, plenty more LS merchants not on 180's exclusion list.

If LS sent 180 a list of domains to be excluded, why didn't LS send a full list of all LS merchant domain names? If 180 made the list on its own, why didn't it add all LS merchant domains?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What about all the rest? There are, of course, plenty more LS merchants not on 180's exclusion list. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is 180 partnered with all LS Merchants?? Is it necessary to URL's on the list they don't partner with? Are there Merchants on that LS that 180 doesn't partner with??

Personally I don't know the answers because I haven't checked but that seems to next logical questions to answer. I know I don't see some Merchant's on that list that I know do not have 180 in their program. What would be the need if 180 doesn't partner with the Merchant? They wouldn't be activating their software with their tracking ID on Merchants they don't partner with.

Again, I don't know first hand if that is the case, just seems like the next logical step in investigating.......

Even for merchants that don't have 180 in their affiliate programs, there's a very real desire/need to be on 180's exclusion list: Being on the exclusion list prevents other affiliates from targeting the merchant's site.

For example, had Lillian Vernon been on the exclusion list, the events shown in my Example Cookie-Stuffing Targeting a LinkShare Merchant: Lillian Vernon (October 7) could not have taken place. Same for Crucial and every other example I've posted where the 180 popup is a 180 advertiser rather than 180 itself.

So even when 180 itself is not a member of a merchant's affiliate program, 180 (via its advertisers) can still interfere with the merchant's affiliate program, can still conduct cookie-stuffing, can still claim commissions on type-ins, can still otherwrite other affiliates' cookies and claim "their" commissions. These are behaviors that automatically stop once a merchant's domain gets added to 180's exclusion list.

So you are seeing no activity at all, even by 180's advertisers, on domains that are on that exclusion list? Again, I'm just asking because I don't know. I haven't been looking at 180's software lately. Exclusion lists can work in different ways and it could be specific to just 180's own ads or their software in general.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So you are seeing no activity at all, even by 180's advertisers, on domains that are on that exclusion list? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly right. When a domain is added to the exclusion list, in my testing neither 1) sends information to its servers as to users' visits to that domain, nor 2) shows any popups triggered by visits to such domain. So neither 180's own affiliate links nor its advertisers' pages display above domains on the exclusion list.

It's very good for merchants to be on 180's exclusion list -- this eliminates a broad class of problems caused by 180 and its advertisers.

Which leads me back to my prior question: How did 180 come to grant this benefit, for so many of LS's merchants? Why can't CJ and Performics get the same benefit? And what about the LS merchants not protected by the exclusion list? Why does 180 protect some LS merchants and not others? I don't have answers to any of these questions.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread