Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Squidoo and Link Limit
    A couple of years ago, there were several threads discussing Squidoo as a vehicle for affiliates to promote niche products.

I put up three lenses, and while I did get some traffic, sales were insufficient to continue spending more time with Squidoo, and I basically let them sit for a good two years.

Today I happened upon Squidoo by accident, and then logged in and saw that one of my lenses really needed some updating. This lens had about 50 affiliate links to one merchant that is the only merchant I know of that offers this brand of products.

I did some updating and then hit "Publish". I was then re-directed to a page that told me that Squidoo's policy now prohibits more than 9 links to the same outside url on any one lens. It identified the fact that my lens had 56 links to Shareasale.com and that to publish the lens, I had to reduce the number to no more than 9.

So, Squidoo now limits the number of affiliate links to any single NETWORK at nine per lens, though there is no limit to the total number of links a lens may include; they say 100s or more are fine - just no more than 9 to any single domain.

There is a lens-by-lens appeal process but they basically said don't hold your breath.

Is anyone having success with Squidoo? Do you have lenses with more than 9 links from a single network? Have you tried updating them lately?

Edit to add: A key point - They are counting image and text links separately, so if you have an image link and then a text link with the name of the product shown in the image, that counts as TWO links.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; January 26th, 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: left out key point
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I had that happen with one lens I went to update last year sometime, so looks like their was a policy change sometime. What I did is just hit the limit then added a For More Click Here type of deal to a page with the rest, plus it's an inbound link to the page.

"Is anyone having success with Squidoo?"

I haven't made any new ones in awhile but keep some updated. I have one that straight kicks some butt, had 80,000+ visitors one recent month, got into the top 40 overall. Some others more niche type stuff, little traffic per day, sales every now and then.
    Last edited by Trust; January 26th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Can't remember when it was, but yeap as Trust mentioned, it has been a while that they've had that policy. Not sure but think has been at least a couple of years and they are pretty strict on it. I do the same as Trust with a click for more at my site.

I used to get some sales from a couple of mine but was only cos I did fairly well with that one merchant (which merchant is no longer) Still get a sale now and then from some but I have quite a few lenses. Now and then will get some sales from the Amazon module there, too. Add up all the sales tho and we're still talking pretty small number of sales. Two or three times a year I'll get a check from them, too but as I said I've got quite a few lenses. Do know that there are some there that do pretty well and do invest a whole lot of their time there. (some I think it's their only affiliate method)

So, success?? For the majority of affiliates I'd say probably not compared to how they do with their other methods. I just kinda look at it as one more way for me to get some sales. At times I'll devote quite a bit of time but if you offer coupons on any of your lenses it's not very easy keeping track of them all if you have a lotta lenses. lol You can't do a find and replace to find them like ya can with a site. lol I actually kinda enjoy making the lenses so don't really mind spending the time on them but lookin at them just for making a lotta money from them, most probably wouldn't think they're worth the time.

And....Trust - yippee for you. Sounds like that one of yours is really doin great!!

Oops forgot to answer your one question. As far as I know, don't have more than the 9 links from one network. I tried to make the changes when the policy change happened. Know there must be some I haven't updated for a while but think they will delete any that don't adhere to the policy.

Lightbulb
    I wonder if a web services link from avantlink, for instance would work. it's one link that expands to whatever shows for the merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    This thread has inspired me to start a new lens. And I think I have found something perfect. Something I recently worked on with a new site. A product that 3 different merchants carry. A product that even tho 3 different merchants have it, there are less than 9 product links available. So I can get all of them in the lens.

It's very niche, so it's only gets about 600 exact matches a month according to Google.

And typing the phrase into Google, even without quotes, and there are less than 40,000 results. So should be pretty easy to rank on page 1 for it.

The exact phrase I'm targeting is available, so I just grabbed it.

Each sale, if I get them, will get me at least $30 a pop.

There's not much to it, since it's super niche and there aren't many products available so it won't take long and I'll be done with it tomorrow.

If I get it ranked on page 1 or close, I will bump this thread.

If I get a sale, I will bump this thread with lots of smileys.

And if I get a sale, traffic, rank, then you now have a formula for possible success.
    Last edited by Trust; January 27th, 2011 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬ View Post
    I wonder if a web services link from avantlink, for instance would work. it's one link that expands to whatever shows for the merchant.

Am not exactly sure which tool that is, are you referring to the datafeed one? Did a quick search cos there had been a discussion about using the videos from AvantLink at one point and we couldn't use them. Hadn't been anything else posted in that thread so assume that hasn't changed. All I can say is that the module permits html but don't think it will allow anything other than that. Know it didn't allow the javascript but not positive about anything with the php. Unless it's changed you were able to use a rss module, tho. Don't know how they work regarding how you show in search results tho.

Look forward to results of your lil experiment Trust.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬ View Post
    while they do offer datafeeds, this is a little different. it hits the datafeed but presents a url you post that leads the visitor to a template. you only have to set it up once.

Wow, 80k+ visitors in a month to a single Squidoo lens? Do you do contract writing?

If it's html, guess you'd have to check their terms to be sure but would think you'd be able to use it. Umm, disclaimer tho lol Definitely, definitely am no Squidoo expert and wouldn't even attempt to speak for them. Am just sayin that as far as I know, they have html modules so am guessin you could use that if it is html.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    If it's html, guess you'd have to check their terms to be sure but would think you'd be able to use it. Umm, disclaimer tho lol Definitely, definitely am no Squidoo expert and wouldn't even attempt to speak for them. Am just sayin that as far as I know, they have html modules so am guessin you could use that if it is html.
    can't put the link as generated because it points to a directory that has to be given access permission to the internet. but I can put that directory on my relevant niche site and use a simple url to it on squidoo. Will do it after I fix up the template. may not get any link juice from it but needed to do it anyway.

I have 50+ lenses on squidoo, I update them every month, my revenue from affiliate marketing is not much but it's still something around 800 per month. I learned you need to have a lot more lenses to make decent amount of money with squidoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post
    I have 50+ lenses on squidoo, I update them every month, my revenue from affiliate marketing is not much but it's still something around 800 per month. I learned you need to have a lot more lenses to make decent amount of money with squidoo.
    Have you ever requested or received an exception to the Nine-Link rule?
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by KyBB View Post
    Wow, 80k+ visitors in a month to a single Squidoo lens? Do you do contract writing?
    I actually hate writing I wish it was a normal month but it's a seasonal one. But it gave me a pretty good idea at what kind of traffic some of the top lens are getting. You can take a look at them - Squidoo : The Top 100 Lenses

And see what some of the top lens are doing. Subject matter, layout, what modules they're using etc. Can get a lot of good ideas. I've had them all set to Squidoo Charity Fund and I haven't checked in awhile until yesterday and I was like damn, I could have bought a new computer with those earnings. So you can make money with the Royalty/rev sharing stuff they have. Make money with your own affiliate links. You can make nice lens and straight up sell them to other people or merchants.

There are a lot of nice keyword combos still available. I'm going to be checking some past sites, old ppc for things I've been successful with in the past and getting those new lenses.

Just checking my top one right now:

188 week
    30 today

So nothing major happening at the moment but sales do pop up every now and then with it. I'm going all out with the new one I talked about above and if it's successful, I'll probably become addicted to making more lens.
    Last edited by Trust; January 27th, 2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Have you ever requested or received an exception to the Nine-Link rule?
    This happen to me only once, actually it was back in December. Normally I have around 5-6 links on my lense but this one time I wanted to try something different and I had about 20 links lol well when I hit the publish button I got that msg were I can only have 9 links to the affiliate site.... so no big deal I changed my links down to 6 and everything worked.

ABW Ambassador
    I have my first hit for the exact term I was targetting, 2 days later. The only thing I did after I made the lens is stumble it and bookmarked it at delicious. It's at the very top of page 3 Google. It really needs to be on page 1 tho to get any decent traffic. Since it's only 2 days old, you know how it goes. Just wavering around right now. I think I can probably just leave it alone and it'll work itself up to page 2 at least, maybe page 1. And I can always help it some.

edited to add - damn, I can't believe I didn't check earlier but the .com is available and I will be getting it. I think I probably can get 3 different spots on the first 2 pages.

the squidoo lens
    the page off my main site
    the .com dedicated to this product

Dominate a niche type of strategy.
    Last edited by Trust; January 29th, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    Ok, understand now

Johan81
    "my revenue from affiliate marketing is not much but it's still something around 800 per month. I learned you need to have a lot more lenses to make decent amount of money with squidoo."

800 per month to me is good I agree with you. Think those who do really well have an awful lot but am not sure if is that they just have a lot but some of those are the lenses that make them the money. Not sure if that makes sense how I worded it or not. lol What I mean is that I'm not sure if the people are doing well from a lot of their lenses or just some of them but they have a lot of lenses. I know some have lenses that are just for fun, some for a charity, etc. I think those who are doing well with Squidoo genuinely like to make lenses so they make a lot. They really are kinda "Squidoo experts" and know exactly what it takes to make a good lens.

AffiliateHound
    Probably shouldn't say this cos really am not sure at all but there's somethin in the back of my head for some reason tellin me the Squidoo giants (think is the name but not sure) may be exempt from that policy. An awful lot of the people who make the Squidoos do really well with Amazon and not sure how those links count regarding the limit, either. They also use the Art and the other Art program, too. So you can kinda get around the limit by mixing up the links you use.

Trust
    "I'll probably become addicted to making more lens."
    yea lol when ya get a sale from any of them it kinda spurs ya on to make more and I know at least myself, is easy to get carried away with them. I'll make them with just the name to start so nobody gets that idea, then next thing ya know I have a big list to do. lol

Sounds like you really had a good idea with that!! Good luck with it

Thanks for all the feedback.

purplebear - the problem with the particular lens I tried updating is that it is build around a certain manufacturer's line of a certain type of furniture, that is sold by only one merchant.

Trust - thanks for sharing your insights. I was ready to abandon Squidoo but maybe I will take a different approach with it now.

ABW Ambassador
    Just a quick little addition. I had only checked the singular of the product. When I checked the plural, it's in the #12 spot, top of page 2 Google, so even better. Will update in a week and recheck the SERPS.

AffiliateHound
    Just a suggestion but I've done it with a few of mine. Don't want to give any furniture examples so maybe umm since there's a watch ad above this post lol your product might be Timex watches and were only sold by Timex. Make a couple different lenses about a specific watch and link all the Squidoos to each other and then if you have more products, link all the Squidoo lenses to that page on your site where you have links for them. You can get around the links limit that way and get a couple links from the different lenses back to your site plus the individual lenses will get the links from each other, too. You could rank high for each of the individual lenses and you'd get a couple very specific lenses linking back to the page on your site, too. Just a suggestion You are waaaay more successful with this affiliate stuff than I am so definitely am not tryin to tell ya what to do. Only sharing what's worked in just a very teeny way for me.

and sounds really good Trust

Thanks, purplebear, that's is terrific idea.

You are very welcome

Fab ideas! Thanx mucho for sharing!
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread