Should I expose my affiliate site?
    Hi all,

It is nice being here!

I have a general question about marketing and affiliating.

Assume I want to affiliate for a company, let's say in the field of kitchen supplies. And let's say that I already have a small site (built with wordpress) that writes about kitchen products.

Parameters:

* The site is still rather small (only 5 articles so far).
    * The site is informative and compares products (trying to give REAL added value by figuring out for a customer which product is preferable).
    * Site includes products from competitors in the field.

Would it be advisable to show the advertiser my site while trying to apply to his/her program? Would it give me an edge or might it be a bad idea?

How do advertisers see affiliate sites that compare products from different advertisers (creating competition)?

I would be happy and grateful to hear your thoughts about it.

Thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by justPlugIn View Post
    ... Would it be advisable to show the advertiser my site while trying to apply to his/her program? Would it give me an edge or might it be a bad idea? ...
    Have you applied yet to any affiliate programs?

Most merchants will require you to list your site before they will consider you as an affiliate. Unless you're talking about junky "info products" stuff like Clickbank, I doubt you'll be able to avoid telling merchants and affiliate networks what your site is.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Thank you writerguy for your comment.

First off - I am a white-hat kinda' guy, so this post was not written out of the urge to look for loopholes or other tricks.

I work with CJ and sure - I listed my sites there.

The thing is - I was thinking about joining to another advertiser's program and thought about adding my domain URL to the request.

1. do you think that is an advantage (assuming I have a decent landing page - which I have)?
    2. Do you think an advertiser will have a problem with affiliate pages that compare the same product from different advertisers?

Thanks again,
    J

I don't think any affiliate manager would have an issue with that. If a company stands behind their product, there's nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. I know of quite a few sites that work along this same premise and I've never heard of them having any problems getting accepted into affiliate programs because of it.

Would it be advisable to show the advertiser my site while trying to apply to his/her program? Would it give me an edge or might it be a bad idea?
    This depends on how relevant your site is compared to the merchant. If it's very relevant, then it will give you an edge. If not, it could hurt.
    How do advertisers see affiliate sites that compare products from different advertisers (creating competition)?
    Speaking from experience, not all merchants like this, but they would rather be promoted this way than not at all. This is also a great way to find out which merchant converts better for you, and which one doesn't. Then you can focus more on the better converting merchants, and increase revenue for both parties. Try not to add too many merchants though, usually a good number is between 3 to 5, anymore and you'll overwhelm your visitors with too many choices.

Hope this helps.

Affiliate Manager
    2. Do you think an advertiser will have a problem with affiliate pages that compare the same product from different advertisers?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but if your comparing the same product from different advertisers or merchants the only comparison to be made is price which can be compared at any number of different sites. I would ask you this. What are your providing for your reader that's different, compelling or inviting enough to make them want to click the links you've provided? A simple list of (as Lanadili said) 3-5 merchants where the product can be found would have the same effect. If there's a merchant on your list I'm familiar with or have used before that's likely the one I'd pick.

I can tell you if I receive a request to join the program I manage without a link to an active site I would likely decline the request unless you could provide detailed information regarding your plans for promoting the products we offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RushHour View Post
    I don't think any affiliate manager would have an issue with that...
    First let me say how excited I am to see so many people that are willing to help a newbie. Thank you all!

Thanks RushHour for your encouraging answer

J

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili View Post
    This depends on how relevant your site is compared to the merchant. If it's very relevant, then it will give you an edge. If not, it could hurt.
    Speaking from experience, not all merchants like this, but they would rather be promoted this way than not at all. This is also a great way to find out which merchant converts better for you, and which one doesn't. Then you can focus more on the better converting merchants, and increase revenue for both parties. Try not to add too many merchants though, usually a good number is between 3 to 5, anymore and you'll overwhelm your visitors with too many choices.

Hope this helps.
    Hello Lanadili,

thank you for your detailed answer - it does help.

1. My site is very relevant for this merchant(s). I've built it especially for affiliating this line of products. So I take your answer as an encouragement.
    2a. Yes - in addition I never saw any merchant at CJ.com write about merchant-comparison being forbidden.
    2b. I thought about 3 merchants per product comparison - I totally agree with what you say.

Thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.P View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but if your comparing the same product from different advertisers or merchants the only comparison to be made is price which can be compared at any number of different sites. I would ask you this. What are your providing for your reader that's different, compelling or inviting enough to make them want to click the links you've provided? A simple list of (as Lanadili said) 3-5 merchants where the product can be found would have the same effect. If there's a merchant on your list I'm familiar with or have used before that's likely the one I'd pick.

I can tell you if I receive a request to join the program I manage without a link to an active site I would likely decline the request unless you could provide detailed information regarding your plans for promoting the products we offer.
    Hi Matt.P,

comparing different merchants can mean: free shipment (can be very expensive with the line of items I deal with) or fees, returning policy, returning fees, service quality, web-site quality and also price. I don't REALLY like to compare prices because a. price can change - I don't want to chase those price updates & many other sites do it better. b. Some merchants ask their customers to give them a call and get a quote.
    My idea is to:
    1. Compare three DIFFERENT products from different manufacturers in the same category (i.e. ceramic coated pans).
    2. Let the visitor know what is the best product (trying to be objective).
    3. When the visitor selects the product, I don't transfer him/her to the merchant's site but to another page (on my site) where I give suggestions to which merchant would best fit his/her needs (for the selected product).

Don't you think this gives some added value to the customer?
    Do you think this might help customers decide = buy more?

From what I read it is best to provide as much (relevant!) information when applying to an affiliate program.

Thank you very much,
    J

I don't see why it would be a problem to them. They should be glad you include them in your comparison site.

You could also add the comparison page only after having them see your website... I guess.

yes its a good idea.
    people like comparison. but I think there may be a problem. If you specify the name of those advisers.
    assume in your comparison you are telling that x is bad, it is bla bla bla. but y is good. but your advertiser also sell the X product. that may not be displayed in your site but in the advertiser site the product exists. what impression the normal visitor will get???
    I just think it could be a problem. but most of the cases these are not a problem.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

I generally recommend that an affiliate site have 2-3 comparisons of similar products or brands presented on their site. This is for a couple of reasons

- Adds Trust :: If you simply present a single product then it can appear that you site has a bias and lacks credibility in offering good advise to consumers

- Greater Conversion :: Consumers will tend to check out each product you present and recommend. Meaning a great chance of conversion (from three merchants , rather than just one)

- More Content :: You can never go wrong with having more content on your site. Three separate interlinked pages reviewing three similar products can never be a bad thing.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

i don't think that you are a fool and you are going to place comparison between the products of your advertisers. right?
    you should not do this cause it can hamper your sell and your total earning.
    but you can compare with different products in your site. the bad effects and good effects of using this one or that one etc. its good. cause people love to read the comparison of different products.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO View Post
    Hi

I generally recommend that an affiliate site have 2-3 comparisons of similar products or brands presented on their site. This is for a couple of reasons...

Chris
    Thank you Chris,

I love your response - it encourages me about the way I chose to work in.

J.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    My Pleasure

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread