Backcountry.com termination
    I don't know if it's ok to ask, buy why did BackCountry.com leave Avantlink? I'm bummed because I really like their cycling sites.

It's my understanding that Avantlink came from BackCountry.com. So I have to admit that I'm surprised.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hi mwbyrd, Backcountry did not leave AvantLink.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink View Post
    Hi mwbyrd, Backcountry did not leave AvantLink.
    Gary,

I received this email today: A request has been submitted to terminate your participation in the Backcountry.com affiliate program.

You will have 7 days to remove any affiliate links to Backcountry.com from your website(s). As of Thursday, February 3, 2011 all remaining such links will become invalid and cease to count toward sales commissions on your account.

Please contact the affiliate program manager Brian Boyd (bboyd@backcountry.com) should you have any questions or concerns regarding this decision.

Is this due to inactivity or not enough sales? Can I reapply? I'm getting ready to relaunch my website very soon (doing a rebuild with better usuability).

I sent Brian an email but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,

Mike

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Mike,

I am not sure what that is all about. You would have to hear from Backcountry as to the reasons for termination.

Will email this thread URL over to BC..

Gary M

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by mwbyrd; January 27th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Recently had the same thing happen to me. Backcountry and all associated sites (outlet, steep and cheap, etc)

Sort of came out of the blue, and was just a form letter with no details about why. I emailed the program manager but didn't receive an answer (yet).

I was surprised mainly because the content of my site (a personal blog) is almost perfectly in line with backcountry's products and while I am not a huge affiliate, I do send them clicks and the occasional sale.

This has me worried that I may have unknowingly violated a term of their program or done something else wrong without being aware of it. No matter what it was, I was bummed to get the notice, and curious to know why.

Without knowing too much about this, I would add that Backcountry was amongst the first to terminate affiliates in New York due to the Amazon tax. Are similar legislations pending in your states?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Without knowing too much about this, I would add that Backcountry was amongst the first to terminate affiliates in New York due to the Amazon tax. Are similar legislations pending in your states?
    I hadn't thought of that. I'm in North Carolina, one of the states that Amazon pulled out of.

You have to love our govt....

I hope this isn't true. And I sent Brian Boyd an email and haven't heard back from him. Usually he responds pretty quickly.

Ah heck, that could be it in my case. I am in NY.

Lightbulb
    for all intents and purposes, there are a lot more sites for biking, backpacking, etc. you can apply to in Avantlink.

For every door that closes.....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    for all intents and purposes, there are a lot more sites for biking, backpacking, etc. you can apply to in Avantlink.
    Well said. Bummer becuase Brian was 'on top of it'. I was about to respond to one of his emails where they set up some cool banners for bonktown that I was hoping to leverage.

I may have to get an address in another state...if this is actually the case.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbyrd View Post
    I may have to get an address in another state...if this is actually the case.
    There were many discussions about such tactics going back a couple of years. NOT an advisable way to attempt to operate. You may want to do a search for "tax fraud".
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

core drecka
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    There were many discussions about such tactics going back a couple of years. NOT an advisable way to attempt to operate. You may want to do a search for "tax fraud".
    I hear ya. But it's frustrating that the state governments are effectively taking away an opportunity to earn an income. Theoretically, I would be paying taxes on any profits I earned so they would still get their share.

I'm not a tax expert and I'm sure I"m beating a dead horse....

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    As an FYI to everyone here, it looks like Backcountry has changed their primary contact information for their affiliate program. If you've had troubles reaching BC over the last few days, I'd recommend going to their affiliate page on AvantLink and checking for the new contact details.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    One of top content review affiliates was in North Carolina when Amazon outed him. He ended up moving to Tennessee since Amazon was 10% of his income. That state also doesn't have state income tax which saved him another 7%. If you change your address you could be liable if they catch you but if you move to another state its a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    One of top content review affiliates was in North Carolina when Amazon outed him. He ended up moving to Tennessee since Amazon was 10% of his income. That state also doesn't have state income tax which saved him another 7%. If you change your address you could be liable if they catch you but if you move to another state its a moot point.
    Just a bummer that states are so desperate to get income, they find every little loop hole to tax their residents. Good on the guy for moving to TN.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The fallacy is that they will cause tax paying self employed residents to move out of state thus reducing the amount of tax revenue the state collects. This also impacts local sales revenue and sales tax. It will never be tracked just result in a negative trend for the state which they will never identify. California has experienced this and I saw manufacturing move out in the 80's and 90's due to increased regulation causing increase in expenses. They ended up moving manufacturing to Mexico.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread