I have yet to launch my Web site (niche content based on politics), and have a hardware question. I'm purchasing a new machine off of which to design my website, manage sponsored links placements, etc (which I've never done before), and am wondering if there are any compatibility issues w/a Mac vs. a Windows machine.

I'm leaning toward the Mac system--but what some affirmation from the community that other affiliates use the machine to run/operate their Web sites, optimize sponsored links bidding, etc.

Thanks!

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I'm not a programmer and I love my G4 at home... it's my baby! So pretty, so easy to use...

Still, I am willing to bet that for cost efficiency most people will tell you to go the PC route. Software and parts for Mac are a lot more expensive and a bit harder to come by although as we all know, anything can be bought online these days at the click of a mouse.

I have the best of both worlds - I use PC at work and my Mac at home... it's really a matter of preference I would think, but I'll let some of the PROFESSIONALS answer for you and see what they say.

My experience coming from a background in creative is that Mac is a lot better for designing print stuff, but for web, I personally don't see a big difference unless you are optimizing a lot of your own images - chances are you won't be since you'll be dealing with banners and possibly datafeed images.

I think you really need a response from an affiliate angle since you'll be coding sites and managing databases... my guess is still PC though for what you need it for.

Best of luck,

If you are doing graphic design go with a mac anything else go with a PC.

Macs are good but as we all know Apple had to Drop its Fastest PC claim.

If you get a PC get at least 512 MB memory or even better 1GB.

Loads of memory with a cheap processor will probably subjectively seem just as fast as a really top end expensive machine.

Tip of the week: buy 2 external USB 2.0 external hard drives for backups, they are real cheap now.

Then you can flip-flop backups on them keeping one by your PC and one somewhere else away from your house(E.g. at your parents if they live nearby) to act as offsite disaster recovery backup.

I build PCs I have a PC shop and what websmith says is true. However if you put a CELERON in a system don't expect the CELERON to handle multi tasking like the Pentium will.

Pentium 4 = good multi-tasker semi good with games
    AMD Atlon 32bit and 64bit semi good multi-taster great games processor
    AMD Sempron and Intel Celeron Semi good all around.

If you plan to have 3 or more programs open at a time go with a Pentium if you are a heavy gamer go with the AMD Athlon line if you just play 1 or 2 games and maybe have 1 or two programs open go with a celeron or sempron.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    All this "PC's are cheaper and faster" baloney!

They buy their cheap "fast" PC, then spend all day every day keeping the parasites and viruses from slowing it down and stealing all their data.

Stick with the Mac. I use a dual processor G4 here with 3 17" LCD screens running on it. I[m not waiting for things to happen, and ALL my time is spent efficiently as I don't have down-time from parasites and viruses.

I haven't found any compatibility issue with web design or getting links from merchants etc. Ignore the FUD from the MS/PC sheep!

I'm with Drewbert.. Macs are less likely to get infected with viruses and spyware, plus the Mac is much easier as a plug-in-and-go solution overall.

Personally, I'm a PC person though, but if you go down that route it's certainly best to avoid using Internet Explorer, Outlook or Outlook Express and use an alternative. But there's a huge range of useful software available for the PC.

Of course on any platform you'll need a firewall and anti-virus software. Mac users aren't immune to malware either.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by websmith:
    Tip of the week: buy 2 external USB 2.0 external hard drives for backups, they are real cheap now.

Then you can flip-flop backups on them keeping one by your PC and one somewhere else away from your house(E.g. at your parents if they live nearby) to act as offsite disaster recovery backup. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry - I'm off topic here... websmith, feel free to PM me on this.

Which brand of USB drives are you using and how cheap? Where did you buy them? I'm about to copy exactly what you're suggesting here - lend a hand please.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Or better yet, have two machines permanently connected (via DSL/Cable) and backup files between them nightly using SCP.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread