QCP - Still Scratching My Head
    I still have a trickle of traffic going to ebay on some of my personal sites, and I have to say that several years into QCP I still don't get it.

For the first 26 days of January I've averaged 74 clicks and 2.23 winning bids per day. My trickle of traffic has converted to winning bids at 3%. Add in whatever ebay gets off of Adsense and other advertising and I'd like to think an honest "quality" rating would put my traffic at least above average in quality if not quantity. 3% is pretty good, right?

Apparently not under QCP...

On January 25th I sent my average 74 clicks, but had an above average $915 sale. The next day my EPC dropped to zero. Nice.

Even if it picks up in a day or two as QPC catches up, the damage is done. I've already muttered "glad I don't actively promote them". I've already typed this post. I've already put those sites further and further onto the back burner in my mind... You get the point. A nice sale that should've been a positive in my relationship with the program was instead the exact opposite.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

You're never going to have any consistency under 100 clicks per day, per campaign. That's just the way it is.

If you want to check a percentage, check click/bid ratio. In my opinion that has more relevancy. Every single bid makes eBay money, winner or not, and they no that. I truly believe that was the driving force in QCP. I send the first 10 bids to an auction driving it to $1000 and you send the last one that wins at $1015, I earned more of that pie than you did. A winning bid isn't any more important than any other bid in the whole scheme of things really. The winning $915 bid you sent may have only put a few more pennies in eBay's pocket, you didn't do it all.

If you can't get the commission thoughts out of your head, you'll never wrap your head around QCP.
    Last edited by bobby131313; January 28th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    You're never going to have any consistency under 100 clicks per day, per campaign. That's just the way it is.

If you want to check a percentage, check click/bid ratio. In my opinion that has more relevancy. Every single bid makes eBay money, winner or not, and they no that. I truly believe that was the driving force in QCP. I send the first 10 bids to an auction driving it to $1000 and you send the last one that wins at $1015, I earned more of that pie than you did. A winning bid isn't any more important than any other bid in the whole scheme of things really. The winning $915 bid you sent may have only put a few more pennies in eBay's pocket, you didn't do it all.

If you can't get the commission thoughts out of your head, you'll never wrap your head around QCP.
    eBay putting more value on bids than sales makes a lot of sense. That's not how they explain QCP anywhere in their help documentation though, or when you ask for clarification, but it still makes sense.

Unfortunately clicks to bids spiked that same day, and on the days surrounding the spike bids were also up. Overall click to bid is at 7% for the year. That's down from 10.6% for 2010, but not enough of a drop to justify $0 EPC...

The only traffic that's ever worth nothing is traffic that brings zero value. My traffic is bidding and buying. If those actions have value, I expect eBay to do better than $0. Is that so far off base?

I fully admit I don't grok QCP, I just wish eBay would realize that that's a problem in and of itself. If affiliates understand how and why they get paid, they work harder and smarter to make more money.

Honestly, this convoluted QCP algo feels more like a reaction to their parasite days at CJ, than an effort to build a really great program. Just my opinion of course...
    Eathan Mertz

The other factor that comes into play is that if your click volume is below a certain level, you get aggregated together with everyone else who has low click volume.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    The other factor that comes into play is that if your click volume is below a certain level, you get aggregated together with everyone else who has low click volume.
    What do you mean by that? I've never heard of that. I've heard of issues with "low quality" clicks but not low clicks that were doing something, bidding, registering etc. I don't remember reading anything about one person's low clicks being aggregated with everybody else. Anybody got a link or quote on that, so I can read up on it.

I thought I read it here somewhere or perhaps on their site.

Digging further, I think I might have been thinking about the following (from their FAQ) and remembered it wrong:

27) Why would a number of my campaigns all have the same EPC?

In cases where there is not enough data to calculate an EPC for a particular campaign, we calculate the EPC based on the overall quality of your traffic for that program which hasn’t already been valued as a part of a specific campaign. As you begin to drive more clicks to that campaign, you will see an EPC that is specific to that campaign’s activity.
    So it's aggregating the small campaigns within YOUR ACCOUNT, not everywhere.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; January 29th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that's something I didn't like when I first read it. But not an issue for me or most people I don't think. Think there might be an old thread somewhere here on that.

The click volume is certainly low, and likely to cause some wild fluctuation in numbers, but there has to be enough history to settle on a range of EPCs and not bottom out on zero.
    Eathan Mertz

FWIW, I removed virtually all of my eBay links back when they made the change, so I have a very low volume there as well. In the past three months, my daily EPC has fluctuated from $0.00 (many days) to as high as $0.13, with an average of $0.05.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    That's been my experience. Do you think that for those who tend to have lower volume of overall clicks that they should stick to only one campaign ID? Or do you think the over 100 clicks principle associated with the algo applies to all active campaigns?
    (edit: oops, sorry - should have read the whole thread first - looks like Michael answered that in the policy info posted)

Originally I had all campaigns associated with one campaign ID and just used different tracking SIDs but then noticed my QCP began to drop as my clicks rose - which seemed to make sense if they are paying for quality and not # of clicks. So I thought it would be wise to differentiate my campaigns per niche. However when I did that my daily clicks fell below 100 clicks per day so now I'm considering switching everything back to one campaign ID as nothing has really changed in my traffic sources. But of course that will probably effect the quality and thus effect the epc.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; January 29th, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

It's been my experience in the affiliate world as well as the real world that the more complex a compensation plan, the more it favors the house.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    It's been my experience in the affiliate world as well as the real world that the more complex a compensation plan, the more it favors the house.

-rematt
    Well said
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Interesting read.

My overall ebay experience has been pretty good in that it brings in $100 a month regularly. That's between 3 BANS sites and a recently added PHPbay plugin.

However my earnings often drop to $0 for a few days in a row.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread