AdWords Conversion Tracking for Affiliates
    In light of Mark's recent thread and some of the comments made there, I wanted to revisit the issue of tracking conversions through AdWords.

Historically, I've used quick redirect "bounce" pages for my affiliate links (pretty standard mysite.com/recommended.php?url=affiliatelink type stuff) -- and put the AdWords conversion script on the "recommended.php" page. Basically since I can't directly record conversions on the merchants' sites, this lets me know which keywords result in the most affiliate click-throughs. Obviously not a perfect system but gives a general idea of what keywords are performing.

But then I was thinking how incredibly idiotic it is to literally TELL GOOGLE that what I consider a "conversion" is sending a customer off-site. Sure, the pages provide value or else I wouldn't be around, but I can easily see how this would meet their definition of a bridge page.

Help! What should I do instead? Many thanks for your help!
    Your Ad Here.

I do something similar.

If you have a merchant that you do a lot of volume with, you can probably get them to add your AdWords tracking code on their confirmation page (shown conditionally, when your cookie is present).

Another thing you can do is use SID (u1, afftrack, etc.) tracking for each network and keep track of your keywords and sales internally. It's quite a bit more involved, but more scalable.

I've heard rumblings that at least one network is working on "container" technology that would facilitate affiliates inserting tracking technology like this in conjunction with the network pixel.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Another thing you can do is use SID (u1, afftrack, etc.) tracking for each network and keep track of your keywords and sales internally. It's quite a bit more involved, but more scalable.
    That's what I do. I generate a unique id for each visitor and save the referring page and keyword they came to the site with in a table with the unique ID. I then pass the unique ID through the SID. I even go so far as to indicate which link was clicked, i.e. the product image or the product title, etc. So my SID would look something like "&sid=linkclickedinfo_uniqueid". Then, when you get a sale, you can look it up by the unique id passed through the SID and see what keyword converted. You also get a sense which elements of your landing page are most effective.

It's a lot of work, but it gives you a lot of good info.
    Last edited by meadowmufn; January 28th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I've heard rumblings that at least one network is working on "container" technology that would facilitate affiliates inserting tracking technology like this in conjunction with the network pixel.
    This would be VERY exciting. I hope it's a network that has a lot of excellent technology in place already...........
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

In using the SID (or other network's equivalent) do you then turn off the AdWords conversion tracking completely? With the SID and other order detail reports, I think I can arrive at the same statistics, but like you said, a lot more involved.

The benefit though would be NOT sharing with Google the fact that a "conversion" takes place off-site. Just seems like I am asking for another slap leaving that in place.
    Your Ad Here.

Still researching but not finding any definitive answers. The basic question: Since my current conversion script is triggered on outbound affiliate links, should I disable AdWords conversion tracking to potentially avoid being labeled a bridge page?

Nothing else would change on the site, but in light of their arbitrary smackdowns it seems stupid of me to literally tell them the "goal" of the site is to send customers off-site.

What are other affiliates doing with their PPC? Do you use the adwords conversion tracking? If so, where do you put the script (without access to the merchant's confirmation page)? Or do you disable it and use the SID solution proposed above?
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by affninja View Post
    What are other affiliates doing with their PPC? Do you use the adwords conversion tracking? If so, where do you put the script (without access to the merchant's confirmation page)? Or do you disable it and use the SID solution proposed above?
    I have mine disabled and just use the SID tracking.

Thanks Lanadili, I think I will do the same. No sense in giving G any more ammunition!
    Your Ad Here.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread