Exclamation How would search engines treat such a site?
    If there's a site/blog which does not have many pages, rather very little as much 4-5 and has over 1000 backlinks. What treatment will such a site receive from the search engines.
    Suppose its a site on "Learning French", will it show in the results for that keyword.

There's nothing that says that a small highly relevant site can't rank well in the SEs. Think quality not quantity. Along those same lines, it really depends on where the backlinks come from. If they come from authority sites that can help propel you to #1 in the SERPs. If you bought the links from Scuzzy Joe's Link Farm, you could end up on page 1,000,000. As far as your keywords go, if it's a highly relevant site about "Learning French" with legitimate links from high ranking authority sites it should rank well.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Smile
    Thank you rematt for your response. I am a newbie. I'm actually having difficulty getting links from authority sites and .gov. Can anyone give me any advice about how I can overcome that roadblock? I'd really appreciate it.

Your content would need to be unique and compelling for sites to recognize that it has value for their visitors and link to you. It's pretty hard to have content that .gov sites would link to, maybe if your site contained a study that they deemed useful to their topic.

IF your site is worthy of attention, it will come. Visit sites that you think would benefit from your content and look for ways to become known to them.

Unhappy
    with such a difficult criteria do any affiliate sites ever get a link from an authority site? doesn't the promotion on their pages stand in the way?

If promotion is your main content, you are not likely to get any good links. If you are building a site (or sites) that benefit the people who visit them, you will see more success.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If promotion is your main content, you are not likely to get any good links. If you are building a site (or sites) that benefit the people who visit them, you will see more success.
    Thanks a lot 2busy, you've given me the answers that I was looking for.

yes quantity is not a fact. the main thing is the quality unique contents. there are so many sites that have a few high quality contents but already achieved a good PR. its just because they have followed the white hat method of SEO and have built quality links.
    so that's not a problem how many posts do you have.
    cheers

If the existing pages are of good quality then it would not be a concern. If people like the site and link to them then the site would get even more backlinks without you doing anything.

I think, having 1000+ backlinks is not a big deal specially in the eyes of Google. But having quality and relevant backlinks is the main fact to get a good PR in the search engine. If your pages has the information that people are searching for and the existing content is unique, then traffic will automatically generate in your site and can get a good PR in the search engine too.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Content and SEO are kings.

Own a 6 year old two word .net domain that has only six pages on it and maybe a couple of backlinks.

This domain consistently sits at either #1 or #2 on Google for several common / popular search terms/phrases.

Keep the domain clean, don't link from 'bad' websites. It takes a while for the likes of Google to trust a website...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread