Opening a forum - on which domain?
    I would like to open a forum that deals with the niche I am affiliating for.

I figured out I could attract some people and experts and also make a good deed: help people get answers to their questions.

Now the question is:should I open this forum on my affiliate domain or should I get a new domain and link it to my site? Let's say that the extra cost for a new domain is no issue here.

What would be the right choice in your opinion?

Thanks,
    J

i think you should use a different domain for the forum and link it with your affiliate site. its also a good idea to open a forum of your own site. that means just a new page in your site saying Forum. but if there is no problem with budget then go for new one. cause in that you will get extra facilities and freedom.
    cheers

I disagree. I think it would be better on the same domain. From the perspective of the search engines, there's not a big difference either way. From the perspective of your members, there can be a big difference in perspective. If it's on the same domain, they'll know that its associated and related, and I think they'll be more likely to use it (primarily thinking of the bridge from forum to other pages rather than the other way around). If it's on a separate domain, I think more will consider it advertising and unrelated and will be less likely to check it out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    From the perspective of your members, there can be a big difference in perspective. If it's on the same domain, they'll know that its associated and related, and I think they'll be more likely to use it (primarily thinking of the bridge from forum to other pages rather than the other way around). If it's on a separate domain, I think more will consider it advertising and unrelated and will be less likely to check it out.
    I totally agree with this.

Make navigation from one to the other seamless.
    Last edited by Witzer; January 31st, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I disagree. I think it would be better on the same domain. From the perspective of the search engines, there's not a big difference either way. From the perspective of your members, there can be a big difference in perspective. If it's on the same domain, they'll know that its associated and related, and I think they'll be more likely to use it (primarily thinking of the bridge from forum to other pages rather than the other way around). If it's on a separate domain, I think more will consider it advertising and unrelated and will be less likely to check it out.
    Thank you Michael,

my first intent was to put it on the same domain - I mean, this would be the logical thing to do: no need to buy a domain, it will carry the same name as my site etc.

And then I stopped to think that if I had a different domain often linking to mine - Google might like it. I thought it could be a huge boost.

When I read what you write I stop to think - if the forum is successful, it will get so many hits that Google will like it anyway. No?

Glad to hear your thoughts on it. (Or anybody else's)

Many thanks,
    J

I would use the same domain... if it's a related topic, it will add to the credibility of your site in search rankings.

Why wait for a new domain to be indexed by google..? You might end up wasting 3-6 months on a (new) site that carries little weight in the index... when the forum could potentially strengthen your current domain.

Why wait for a new domain to be indexed by google..?
    Absolutely right. Even though, your current web site visitors would fill more comfortable if you start forum with your present domain name.
    Last edited by Rozanne; February 1st, 2011 at 06:28 AM.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread