I operate a shopping mall site, having 90+ merchants with the big 3. But too, have less than a dozen merchants on a close runner to these 3.

0ver 1500 visits, in last couple months without a sale on this network. A couple of these merchants have prime positions on high ranking pages. With everything else equal, getting sales from other merchants in same categories, with similiar descriptions how could this be? I've discovered merchants associated with certain networks do much better than others.
    Did I answer my own question?

Please, say which networks are doing what or we cannot respond in a meaningful way.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

There are several things that determine conversion ratio:

1) How well targeted your traffic is. This can make a huge difference. I have several merchants where my conversion ratio is more than 10 times as high as their affiliate average. This is due to highly targeted traffic. This is a factor that the affiliate can control.

2) The price of the item(s). The higher the price of an item, the lower the conversion ratio. By picking the right items, you can control this.

3) How good of a deal it is. Something with a substantial discount (especially if it's only available for a limited time) will convert much better than something at full retail. Affiliates can control this somewhat by selecting what they promote, but to a large degree it's controled by what the merchant offers.

4) Shipping Costs. Free Shipping improves conversions while high shipping costs lower conversions. This is entirely controled by the merchant.

5) Comfort or familiarity with the merchant. If people are familiar with a merchant (like Amazon.com), they're more likely to buy. If they've never heard of the merchant (fly-by-night-ink-merchant.com), they'll be hesitant. There's not much an affiliate can do about this.

6) Streamlined checkout process. A long, cumbersome checkout process lowers conversions. There's not much an affiliate can do about this.

How does this relate to different networks? The merchants who can afford the larger networks are usually (but not always) more experienced at improving their conversions. Many (but not all) of the merchants at the other networks don't have the name recognition, have higher shipping rates, don't discount as much, and have more complicated shopping carts.

I'm not saying that you can't do well with other networks. Obviously many people here do well with SAS, Performics, and indies. I do well with some merchants who don't use the big 3 networks. You can find a few hidden gems just about everywhere.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    You can't draw any conclusion with only 1500 visits, it's not enough. You need to tell us how many click throughs for each of your merchants.
    Everything Michael said is true, you need also to avoid promoting merchants ridden by parasites. All the networks convert with the right merchants.

The network is performics. What I should know is what is a parasite?

ABW Ambassador
    With 1500 visits to Performics merchants, you should have had some sales. I'm converting at over 4% for the month/year, might want to check your links.

Parasite is people that live off someones traffic.

if the user have the spyware scums in their pc and the user clicks on your links the parasites takes over your cookie and crumbs so you don't get dingly!

They are the pest and leaches that ruining the good thing by being scums and greed is making them evil!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    With 1500 visits to Performics merchants, you should have had some sales. I'm converting at over 4% for the month/year, might want to check your links. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>TrustNo1; check my links -- you mean reconsider going with other merchants or that the code on my site may not be right?

[also operate a shoe site, and when I applied the product links I deleted the dot -you know, the period at the end of the link -- I should probably repost these shouldn't I?] Also have noticed you can't simply cut and pasted text links from page to page - part of the tracking code gets left behind.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe there are problems with the code. With 1500 clicks to Performics merchants you should have had more than a few sales. Don't know about the product links, tried before and it was too much of a hassle. I just use the text and banner links and haven't had any problems. You might want to do a test purchase if you can or check the code again. Not sure of the problem you're having with "Also have noticed you can't simply cut and pasted text links from page to page - part of the tracking code gets left behind."

If you use Dreamweaver and you copy and paste the links in design view, then some of the link can get left behind.

Cut and paste in code view and make sure all the link is highlighted before copying.

Same goes for deleting a link, if you just highlight it in design view and hit delete, some code will get left behind.

This might apply to other web design software as well, but I can only speak for Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver it is. I've done this on Frontpage too.

the #1 Merchant comprising these 1500 clicks by far goes to a javascript page with : /home/index.jsp along with a major popup promotion.

Following through to a purchase with their shopping cart, it requests login by username/password.

If you assume that a typical merchant converts at around 1%, then statistically speaking you've got enough data with 1500 clicks to start to get some meaninful data.. and you should definitely have made some sales from that.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

based on some bigger numbers over the year so far, its going at about .8% across the board. Then again, the most comes from a few.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scorey:
    the #1 Merchant comprising these 1500 clicks by far goes to a javascript page with : /home/index.jsp along with a major popup promotion.

Following through to a purchase with their shopping cart, it requests login by username/password. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds anticonversionary. Maybe the people are put off by that, or they are getting confused as to how to register...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

15 years and counting
    1500 visits, 90+ merchants. Lets' say 10 merchants for half the traffic, it's still only 75 clicks throughts on average. Not enough to have a good opinion.
    Performics is known to have many non performing merchants. Check your links, they may change their destinations without telling you. Also, I had the surprise to discover that one of my best converting merchant had discontinued their "build your own link". All my product pages are going to their home page. My conversion rate is down the hill.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    If these are product links you should have had a sale by now.

If they are text or banner links, forget it. You will get very little sales with these

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    #1 supreme important factor was listed by Michael Coley above - and he listed it as #1 as well - "1) How well targeted your traffic is."

Have you reassessed this aspect?

After having checked all else, have you considered doing a test purchase?

ABW Ambassador
    I think he figured out what the problem was:

"part of the tracking code gets left behind."

"the #1 Merchant comprising these 1500 clicks by far goes to a javascript page with : /home/index.jsp along with a major popup promotion."

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread