ABW Ambassador
    Too bad it isn't buying traffic.

Still an ego boost, to be sure.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Too bad it isn't buying traffic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what CPM is made for
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    If I made $2 CPM (not likely) and maintained this kind of traffic daily, I would be healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Well, maybe not healthy and wise...
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Traffic spike like what?

ABW Ambassador
    Traffic spike like what? I got a month's worth of traffic in 12 hours. When I posted the original post, I was sitting on a days worth in two hours.

I'm shocked that it isn't a slashdotting.

Looks like a new site found your site. Or a new article.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    The hype has died down a bit. I'll say why and what now. It would have taken 30 seconds for the site to respond earlier today. Other sites on the same server experienced similar delays.

Inbound link here: http://www.livejournal.com/community...3/5070694.html

I feel like Thomas Jefferson right now, though it's not Justice and Self Preservation I'm balancing.

Ashlee Simpson walking off the stage is on one scale, my site's growth is on the other.

Still my opinion that she's not ready for the big time, but that's outside this discussion.

Weisinator,

Impressive count there!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Never seen anything like it on any of my sites before and there's a good chance I might not see anything like it again, unless somebody screws up royally again.

However, the really amazing part is how many people explored the rest of the site after getting their fill of the vids. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I got Slashdotted on a site a few months back which also gave me a month's traffic in a day.. it didn't make any money, but it was great exposure for the site and since then traffic's been up by about 70% overall.

Don't forget the power of newsletters if you're trying to make a sticky site. Topica is good for this (and there's a free version). You can soon build up a loyal following if you've got a good site, as long as you occassionally keep in touch with your visitors.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I have a nostalgia site that shows up on some radio host web sites every so often and gets a spike. Rarely increases sales, but it does increase page rank, so it's worth it in the longer run.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    Look4 and Dynamoo: I think I know what you both mean: I've already surpassed my average daily activity for the month as of 8am this morning.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Dynamoo - does the term getting "slashdotted" just apply to getting linked from a story at slashdot.org - or is it more general meaning for any unexpected (and heavy traffic inducing) inbound link from any major blog or news site?

WOW!!

Congratulations, I hope you upgraded your hosting.

ABW Ambassador
    Paul: I've never surpassed 20% of my quota and therefore haven't paid attention in the last four months.

Just checked: The last couple days have used 20% of my monthly allocation.

Donuts, Slashdotted means specifically the shedload of hits from being on a Slashdot story, there's a specific and pretty well defined pattern (the "Slahsdot Effect") that there are quite a lot of articles on.

However, any sudden large exposure in traffic seems to have long-term benefits. Although it's scary to see your quota getting eaten away like that!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread