Daily deal sites and affiliate programs
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Do any of these companies have a current affiliate programs?? Will you signup companies who has an affiliate program??
    Groupon pays commission on Groupons sold, and it is possible that a Groupon may be offered for a company that has an affiliate program. However, I still think that the companies need to pay commission for any sales that come in using a Groupon. I know where you're going with this, but the best way to explain this is that we create a product, and we fulfill that product. We take payment, we bear the risk of issuing the Groupon, we deal with customer service...these are functions that are not managed by a traditional coupon and deal affiliate. We sell products that we create. (I'm probably going to have to split off this thread..)

No problem spliting the thread, Groupon and other like them more and more will be promoting the same merchants that affiliates are directly promoting. So that will make Groupon and other more and more like just another affiliate site, and worse yet Affiliates are promoting such sites and every visitor they send that way they will loose forever.

As well as what you said about that more and more merchants are voiding commision earned by affiliates when a "Grouon" is used.

Carolyn I have all the respect in the world for you but Companies like Groupon will be the end of alot of affiliates. And for affiliate to give up their traffic for a short term cookie is just nuts (In my point of view)

It is my option that if it was not you who was here promoting Groupon member at ABW would be very negative of this company. And now that Groupon is moving more and more to national companies Affiliates better take notice.

Sorry but that how I feel.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Carolyn I have all the respect in the world for you but Companies like Groupon will be the end of alot of affiliates. And for affiliate to give up their traffic for a short term cookie is just nuts (In my point of view)
    It's a 30-day cookie with unlimited referrals...I don't think that's very short. I actually pushed for that when I first got here because it used to be 3 days. It's been at 30-days since I've been here. Since you'll typically see multiple Groupon purchases in a month, quite a few affiliates benefit from this.

And now that Groupon is moving more and more to national companies Affiliates better take notice.
    Groupon will always maintain focus on the local market, on driving traffic to local businesses. That's one of the reasons I joined the company. We don't run a lot of big national deals, but when we do, I believe there is benefit for our affiliates.

Sorry but that how I feel.
    Me too, Kevin But like I've always said, affiliate marketing is a great industry, because you get to choose who you work with.

It's a 30-day cookie with unlimited referrals...I don't think that's very short.
    I refurring to affiliate giving their vistors away in return for a 30 day cookie and possible sale. Daily deal sites just want people email address so they can email them with daily with deals. So the visitor will return to the "Daily deal site" instead of the affiliates site.

Groupon will always maintain focus on the local market, on driving traffic to local businesses. That's one of the reasons I joined the company. We don't run a lot of big national deals, but when we do, I believe there is benefit for our affiliates.
    Well if that the case why have Groupon created US & Canadian banners for affiliates to place on their site that will display "National Deals" ?

Kevin........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I almost started a thread about "daily deal sites" and what they mean for affiliates... glad this thread was split, I never would have known it was already being discussed.

My concern is the frequency of post-sale communication - and the risk of losing my traffic to the deals site. Sending a reader to a store for niche-related product is one thing, sending them to another site/service that send them ongoing merchant deals is another.

I don't see how this benefits me.. and I do think they are more competitor than traditional merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    My concern is the frequency of post-sale communication - and the risk of losing my traffic to the deals site. Sending a reader to a store for niche-related product is one thing, sending them to another site/service that send them ongoing merchant deals is another.

I don't see how this benefits me.. and I do think they are more competitor than traditional merchant.
    Yes these are my concerns as well.

Yes I know That I do not have to promote them which I do not and never plain to, but I can not understand why other affiliates would be willing to give up their traffic for a quick buck (and only if a sale in made in the first 30 day)

Maybe some of the current affiliates will explain why their willing to give away their traffic? That Daily Email email is going to keep them going to the "daily deal sites" and not afffiliate sites.

There were similar (but far worse) concerns back when Ebates ran an affiliate program. (Do they still? I have no idea.) Many affiliates were penny wise and pound foolish sending their customers to Ebates for a measly $5 commission. Those customers would likely never buy anything through the affiliate's links again, instead using Ebates to earn cash back. At the time, I saw many affiliates bragging about making thousands of dollars a month promoting Ebates, but in the long run they destroyed their own businesses.

I see the similar problems with Groupon, but they're different in several important ways:

1) Groupon never (as far as I know) promotes merchants through affiliate links, so you're not giving away future earnings.
    2) Groupon's focus is local, not national.
    3) While some merchants may exclude Groupon redemptions from earning affiliate commissions, I don't see it as a major drain. Not all do exclude commissions. And for those that do, there's typically just going to be a single excluded purchase using a Groupon. That purchase is likely driven by the Groupon and not our site (and we earned a commission selling the Groupon), so I don't have a big issue with that. It's not an ongoing drain, like Ebates was. If it were ongoing and/or affected other merchants (like Ebates did), that would be a HUGE issue.

I personally don't see it as a major concern at this point. Affiliates should certainly take these factors into consideration and make their own decision, but I have no problem promoting Groupon.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

1) Groupon never (as far as I know) promotes merchants through affiliate links, so you're not giving away future earnings.
    No they do not but they keep your vistor by email them every day. Also merchants are now voiding affiliate sale when a "Groupon" is used.

2) Groupon's focus is local, not national.
    I do not think you read this Thread and the Thread it was spilt from (See the problem with spilting threads) My comments is based on the fact that they will now be promoting National Deals via affiliate banners.

I'm actually pleased the thread was split - I had drafted a lengthy New Thread yesterday to discuss daily deal sites & affiliates - to make sure I understand the pros and cons. I ended up deleting the draft as I got busy.

Whether it's local or national.. now or in the future.. I'm really interested in hearing other affiliate views of the concept.

I haven't had any lengthy conversations about them, and I've received a number of invites. Working as a solo affiliate, you're not always aware of pros & cons.

My gut feeling is that I won't be promoting... Kevin, I'm in agreement with your quick buck comment.

I'm actually pleased the thread was split - I had drafted a lengthy New Thread yesterday to discuss daily deal sites & affiliates - to make sure I understand the pros and cons. I ended up deleting the draft as I got busy.

Whether it's local or national.. now or in the future.. I'm really interested in hearing other affiliate views of the concept.

I haven't had any lengthy conversations about them, and I've received a number of invites. Working as a solo affiliate, you're not always aware of pros & cons.

My gut feeling is that I won't be promoting... Kevin, I'm in agreement with your quick buck comment.

Added: it's the future direction of the deal site that concerns me - what if my best merchant decides to participate..?

My comments is based on the fact that they will now be promoting National Deals via affiliate banners.
    Nope, only through our dynamic banners. Affiliates not wishing to promote the national deals can just use our standard banners. Totally acceptable.

As to Michael's comments about "never promoting through an affiliate link," you got that right. We will never do that. Our whole concept is selling the actual Groupon. If we use an affiliate link, we wouldn't get to sell our own product.

Our focus will always be hyperlocal, but we aren't going to exclude big national deals.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Yes I agreed to the split, however I was tring to make a point (discussed in another Thread going on right now) The fact that this Thread was about "National deals" before the split and MC must of missed this point when he made the comment

Groupon's focus is local, not national.

Quote Originally Posted by CTanK View Post
    Our focus will always be hyperlocal, but we aren't going to exclude big national deals.
    Thats the problem, Affiliates will loose affiliate sales if a Goupon is used, And yes I have several merchants who are doing this!! I send the sale to the merchant via by affiliate link. They buy it right away but due to the fact a "Goupon" was used the sale was voided and the affiliate losses the commision.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread