Determining the Opportunity?
    Hi Folks,

In researching keywords for a niche affiliate blog, what's a good threshold for determining if an opportunity exists? If my blog is about "widgets" and I see that the term "widgets" is searched 500,000 times a month using Google's Keyword Tool, is that a good number? What if the total number of searches using the keyword plus other qualifying terms is 2M? How do affiliate marketers determine if their niche idea/keywords will generate enough organic traffic to possible earn any significant commissions from related affiliate programs?

I'm on the advertiser side, but looking to get a better picture of the publisher world...

Happy Thursday!
    Steve Root
    E: [email]steve.root@xero.com[/email]
    M: 415-608-5176

I think to find a really good niche you would have to look at more than just monthly searches. Even figures provided by Google are just rough ballpark estimates, so when you are deciding on choosing a keyword/niche you want to look at factors beyond that.

A few things to consider...what is the competition like? Is your keyword dominated by big brands/companies/websites? If so, then it's going to be more difficult to squeeze into the top spots in the search engines.

You can see the average CPC in Google's keyword tool and that will give you a good idea of what advertisers are paying per click in regard to Adwords. If you find a number of affiliate programs you are interested in, you can run those keywords in the tool and see if any have decent CPCs and not-too-high competition.

It's also good to find mid- or longtail keywords - these typically have fewer monthly searches but may be easier because of a lack of competition. Finding this balance between volume, competition and profitability is the ultimate equation for online marketers. There's lots of research tools out there so I would say do as much research as you can before deciding on something. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. More research is obviously necessary... :-)
    Steve Root
    E: [email]steve.root@xero.com[/email]
    M: 415-608-5176

The number I've always seen tossed around is about 3,000 searches per month. A little more is okay, but chances are if it's much higher, so will the competition be.

I think it would really depend on the earnings potential. If I'm selling multi-million dollar houses at a 3% commission, a well targeted keyword with a few hundred searches per month could be extremely profitable. If I'm selling a best-selling book for $10 through Amazon for a 7% commission, even 100,000 searches per month probably wouldn't make it worth my while.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread