http and a telephoto
    I just posted and had to go edit it to turn off the sig because my REAL NAME showed up instead of my sig file... What is going on?????

And we are supposed to trust Infopoop with sensitive information?????

NOT!!!!!!

http and a telephoto
    How in the H*LL did my REAL NAME over write my sig????

Haiko??????

I don't have time to fix it right now, I went in a deleted it because it of course changed it on ALL posts I ever made.

I don't hide my identity, but I want to choose WHEN and WHERE to display it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<<<fuming>>>
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Never never never sign up for any forum with your real name, or with email addresses associated with domains that are registered in your name.

To be honest with you I signed up with ABW(I was one of the first 50 to join I think) many moons ago using my real name and my website URL and email address, as far as I can recall I have never had any problem with this at all. I think a lot of people may be a little paranoid about some things.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Hehe, loxly's real name = Santa Clause , I'll be pmming my wish list shortly!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    "I have never had any problem with this at all. I think a lot of people may be a little paranoid about some things."

Well, the people that got visited in the past were all U.S. based. You're safe up there in Canada

ABW Ambassador
    Is it possible you are using a program such as ai roboform and you have it set to autofill forms?

This could explain it.

Why wouldn't you want people to know your name again????

Dirk Gardner
    48 Pretoria Road
    Seatoun
    Wellington
    New Zealand
    ph:/+64 4 388 9421
    cell:/ +64 27 478 5900

(I added my address manually )

Trust I think you might find that they probably did not get the info from ABW, all they would have had to do was a whois search and all the required info was there in black and white.

I doubt very much the info was gleaned from ABW
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon look at your sig. I can whois that and find where you live. I gleaned that from your ABW sig. But you're in Canada so you have nothing to worry about. Whoising the sites in people's sigs was just one of the ways they got that info. Lots of other ways to get that info too. It's why people don't want to put any personal info out there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Boston_Crab:
    Never never never sign up for any forum with your real name <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not?

I've always used my real name - why hide?

loxly,

Please pm me with a screenshot I'll take action against infopop if it was a glitch on their behalf, there is NO way that your real name would show in your sig, as it was before and even after I changed it unless it was added into the sig section ... I tested this earlier when I put my full name into the different fields and logged out and changed it just to be sure.

===============
    Trust,

Your wrong ... someone in Canada was 'visited' ALSO but no one's identity came from ABW, the board software nor myself in any manner.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I'm not doubting for one minute they would be able to get some info from ABW but to imagine they got all they needed does not show the PI's in a very good light. I do think they got some from ABW but not many people give out their websites and name as easy as I do.

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    "ALSO but no one's identity came from ABW, the board software nor myself in any manner. "

Never said that in that sense. You can get info on people at ABW from what they let out on their own. Simply by whoising the site they put in their sig. Or with people using the same nick here they use on their own forum or hosting their avatar here from their site, lots of ways.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I did see Loxly's real name showing as her sig. But I didn't make any comments, or screenshots, since I thought she intended it to show up there. I thought that maybe it was supposed to be making some kind of a "statement."

It struck me as kind of weird, but you never know around here, so I didn't give it much more consideration.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    Haiko, I do not have a screen shot, and no I did not use Robo Form to fill out my profile. I have had the same sig for quite a while. The only thing I have done is add my real name to the real name field yesterday.

I am more annoyed that *something* changed my sig, I don't hide who I am and if you "whois" me you get a PO Box. But if it is a bug, I expected others to be pretty annoyed too.

Guess InfoPoop just wanted me to get out here and make a nuisance of myself.

If I am the only one it happened to, then it must be an isolated incident.
    Deborah Carney

loxly,

I swear it must have been a glitch ... I was playing catch with baseball - took some time off to think and didn't see it, if I did I would have rectified it in seconds. I will open a ticket with poop and investigate it further. Please accept my apologies.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

http and a telephoto
    No problem. It took me by surprize as I was on my way out the door and I wanted to get someone's attention in case it was a real glitch, I know it is a big issue with some folks here. As I said, my name is out there, and I realize that with links (even to non-aff sites) in my sig allows people to look me up in whois. I see the links from whois in my stats frequently.
    Deborah Carney

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "I was visited" mean?
    If it's too cloak & dagger there is no need to explain but you've peaked my curiosity

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

CDC,

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&...=645107539&p=5

Five posts down by me, you can also search for wurldmedia or wurld.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I saw Debbie's full name in her sig also. I thought she'd done it on purpose because in the context of what she had written in her post it seemed like a statement of solidarity with the intentions of IC. It never occurred to me it was displayed accidentally.

I saw Deb's signature in her post, was about to say something when I got pulled away. Then forgot all about it sorry Deb I dropped the ball on you. Have to admit Haiko this is the perfect example of why it’s not a good idea to request/require personal information in a forum.

I am aware the networks can figure out who’s who and some people can simply visit a site and click a few links to figure what a persons PID is. But is it really necessary we provide our information?

I do not agree with providing anyone information unless I do it myself.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
    I saw Debbie's full name in her sig also. I thought she'd done it on purpose because in the context of what she had written in her post it seemed like a statement of solidarity with the intentions of IC. It never occurred to me it was displayed accidentally. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Statement of solidarity... That is an interesting phrase, but no, I am not very political. I don't have a problem with the IC, but I wouldn't have much to contribute. I think it might be worth a shot, but no, I am not a unionizing kind of person, and that is what that phrase brings to mind....

Now off to create a new sig... or not, I get distracted easily....
    Deborah Carney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hehe, loxly's real name = Santa Clause , I'll be pmming my wish list shortly! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too!

As for the real name signature.....I didn't see it and I'm betting many others didn't either.
    Then again, had I seen it, I wouldn't remember anyway. The first thing to go is the memory LOL!
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread