Starting A Forum
    I am strongly considering starting a major forum. Any help would be appreciated. The help I am looking for is resources, such as websites, to help guide me in the right direction.

I already have a few folks that will help with things like moderation. I know a Google search will provide plenty of help, but I figured some of you may have some "trusted" sources/resources that could help get me started or at least point me in the right direction.

Advice in general is also welcome. But please be nice. Remember, we are suppose to be kinder and gentler.

Thanks in advance.

For info and resources....

vBulletin Community Forum and vBulletin.org Forum - The Official vBulletin Resource!

Setting it up is the easy part. Gaining traction/membership is the hard part.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    For info and resources....

vBulletin Community Forum and vBulletin.org Forum - The Official vBulletin Resource!

Setting it up is the easy part. Gaining traction/membership is the hard part.
    Awesome. Thanks Davidh.

Everything I see seems to be vBulletin. Just recently found this hot one called crappie.com. For anyone that is not in the fish know it's fishing related.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Everything I see seems to be vBulletin. Just recently found this hot one called crappie.com. For anyone that is not in the fish know it's fishing related.
    Great name. Go to the forum by clicking Crappie Forum. Looks like all their logged on members are real as opposed to ABW's which are about 60% spambot logins. I wish iNet would do something about that...
    Last edited by Boom or Bust; February 5th, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Crawl, Walk, Jog, Run, then Marathon.

Step by step Snow, step by step.

---------------
    John,

I've seen quite a few "Crappie forums" but LOL that truly is a Crappie forum!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    LOL! Mine is gonna be a College Football Forum, but a lot of College Football Fans like to fish I guess.

Go for it! It'll be a FABULOUS way for you to build traffic to your sites.

I think you'll learn a lot of respect for Admins and Mods from here and elsewhere, too. There's far more involved than you see on the surface.

Totally agree with the vBulletin recommendation. vBulletin rocks!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I've got one word for you. Patience. If you don't have it, don't try. I have noticed that there is a magical "hump" when building a forum. Until you hit it, it seems like you've been wasting your time and it's very temping to give up. I'm glad I didn't. I can't tell you how many people I've seen all gung ho to start their own forum only to give it 6 months then give up because they only have a handful of members so far. It's a slow process.

Feb 1 was our 6th birthday. We now have almost 12K members and 700K posts. Daily post counts hit 1K now more often than not..... and I almost gave up more than once.

yes its totally true that starting a forum is easy but making it popular id very very hard.
    i have seen one of my friend started a forum about traveling. it was about a place which is very much popular but there were a few forums specifically about that place. so it was not so hard to get popular soon. but reality is that, his forum is 1 years old but he don't even have 200 accounts.
    so you have to be very much patience and hardworking to get succeeded in this area.

here is a forum for admins: Admin Zone Forums

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Thanks Gibson for that link to the forum. Sure that is gonna come in handy a lot.

I've been creating sites on Ning. I get forums, but my members also get profile pages, blogs, video/photo sections, etc...
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Except I think the OP is looking to make his site sticky, Ning won't help with that.

but my members also get profile pages, blogs, video/photo sections, etc..
    There are plenty of vbulletin mods to add these bells and whistles.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread