Merchants & Exclamation Point Overuse
    The use of exclamation points in datafeeds is out of control. The mark should be used selectively. Placing it at the end of every discount, coupon or offer junks up the feed. Not every deal is a GREAT DEAL!!! For example, does
    All shipping $10!! really justify !! ?

If used too much it looks like bs.

Please consider using it more selectively to call attention to only those offers that are worthy.

Thank you,
    Last edited by leeann; February 7th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

2. Thanks From:

I definitely agree. And actually, I think the exclamation point is completely overused all across the web. Although I'll admit that I probably use it more than I should too. However, I think it has officially jumped the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by RushHour View Post
    I definitely agree. And actually, I think the exclamation point is completely overused all across the web. Although I'll admit that I probably use it more than I should too. However, I think it has officially jumped the shark.
    I agree!!!!
    (lol)
    Last edited by leeann; February 7th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I try to remember that when I write newsletters. Never overuse the !!

But then of course, sometimes I do!
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

I agree! Every sentence shouldn't end with an exclamation mark! Even worse is when they use three!!!

Actually, I'm probably worse about that than most people. It's easy to go overboard on exclamation marks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Would you like this thread moved to the Merchant Best Practices Forum, where it'll be seen by more merchants?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Would you like this thread moved to the Merchant Best Practices Forum, where it'll be seen by more merchants?
    Sure. I didn't even know it existed and if you think ABW affiliates will also see it and comment.
    Last edited by leeann; February 7th, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Sure. I didn't even know it existed and if you think ABW affiliates will also see it and comment.
    Okay, it's moved. Here in the Merchant Best Practices forum, quite a few merchants will see it when they're browsing around.

I think most active affiliates will see it, too, because we tend to read the "New Posts".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Okay, it's moved. Here in the Merchant Best Practices forum, quite a few merchants will see it when they're browsing around.

I think most active affiliates will see it, too, because we tend to read the "New Posts".
    Thank you.
    leeann

That would be a GREAT IDEA !!!!!

I totally agree too!!!!
    The feeds are our shop window to the merchant.
    Over here too many merchants just slap together a feed with no real considerations to Category or structure. I am hoping that it is not the case this side of the pond.
    Regards
    JIM

Quote Originally Posted by expression web help View Post
    I am hoping that it is not the case this side of the pond.
    It's just as bad here.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

oh joy.
    I looked at one feed and whilst the categories were great, (and no excessive use of !!!) all the buy links went to the merchant home page and not drilled down into the product page!
    I did make a note to the merchant and whilst it only had 400 or so products, i doubt anything will get done quickly so i have moved on. Makes you wonder why some bother at all.
    I look forward to cleaning up and analyzing the feeds then.
    Cheers
    JIM

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I feel that the exclamation point can be effectively used to bring out the single most important point in a newsletters. Studies I have read show that punctuation in a subject line makes a bigger impact that those with none. Punctuation in AdWords has been shown to get more conversion.

Using exclamation points in every product title in a datafeed brings up a good point that it will spam the pages. We use direct language in our text links particularly deals and coupons. Personally I need to review those to see if I am over using.

So if you use an exclamation point in a subject line of an email or newsletter is it bad form to use one in the body?
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; February 7th, 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    So if you use an exclamation point in a subject line of an email or newsletter is it bad form to use one in the body?
    Chuck I would use it sparingly otherwise it looks like just hype. I can see where you may want to bring attention to something in the body. Bolding the word works well. But in datafeed where you see every offer ending in !!! it's definite overkill. IMHO
    leeann

I also get tired of quotation marks and html in feeds also.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I also get tired of quotation marks and html in feeds also.
    Definitely!
    leeann

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Well, this was interesting - we do probably use more exclamations than we should in our product descriptions, but we are excited about our products and feel the exclamations show that!

So I am guessing as affiliates, you prefer we really minimize them? Is one or 2 in a product description too many?

We are finalizing our site this week to get our program ready and if this is an issue for potential affiliates we want to make sure it is cleaned up!

Thank you for this thread - information like this is so helpful.

Jill

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    ... Is one or 2 in a product description too many?
    Yes. Imagine an affiliate using a datafeed with hundreds of merchants and each one uses "one or 2 in a product description" - loses it's oomph, doesn't it?

Good ad copy / descriptions do not need exclamation points...
    Last edited by Convergence; March 27th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

superCool loves him some exclamation point!!!!! he wrote a special script to add a few to the end of every sentence of every description in the datafeeds!!! he also adds a few extra dollar signs before and after each price!!! doesn't $$$59.99$$$ look awesome??? he also likes to add ^ symbols here and there (willy nilly) just cuz they are so cool looking!!! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Oh come on! That sentence would look SO MUCH BETTER if exclaimed thusely:

Good ad copy / descriptions need exclamation points!!!

Last edited by superCool; March 28th, 2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: wanted to use the word "thusely"

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Thanks Convergance - we will modify them - and thanks to supercool for the morning laugh!

We also hate to see things like - Black/White because lots of times it ends up as BlackWhite when our scripts process the feed.

What's wrong with - Black And White or Black Or White.

Also hate - Women>Shoes>Sandals - can become WomenShoesSandals when the feed is processed.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    ...or a slash or an ellipsis.

Good ad copy and descriptions do not need exclamation points.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

25. Thanks From:

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread