Any good rules of thumbs when reviewing new affiliate sites for approval for program?
    Hi Guys, The last time I had a question you were really nice and helped a lot.
    Could you please help again?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Eitan Avni; February 8th, 2011 at 06:54 AM.

I think the first rule would be to make sure that a). there is actually a site and b). that it belongs to the affiliate that applied to your program.

The second would be that the site is relevant. If you sell coal burning stoves, a niche site about hair extensions probably won't be a good fit.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    - Valid Web Site
    - Valid Content
    - Valid Contact information
    - Stated Owner is the real owner
    - Application info is valid and real

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    I think the first rule would be to make sure that a). there is actually a site and b). that it belongs to the affiliate that applied to your program.

The second would be that the site is relevant. If you sell coal burning stoves, a niche site about hair extensions probably won't be a good fit.

-rematt
    One word of expansion on the comment from Rematt, what you see is not always what you get, an applicant may have lots of web sites, but in a lot of systems you only see the first one they listed at sign up. Plus it may be that they are planning to build a new site around your vertical.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

> The second would be that the site is relevant. If you sell coal burning stoves, a niche site about hair extensions probably won't be a good fit. <

As Chris notes, this isn't always a wise strategy. In past years, I've operated a number of different web sites with unrelated themes. I tried to communicate this to new merchants by pointing them to a blog page explaining what I did. But many merchants rejected me (almost always without any explanation), and when I inquired they often said they'd rejected me because after a quick glance at the blog page, they concluded that "the blog page isn't about XXX" (ink cartridges, scrapbooking, gourmet food). Sometimes it was obvious that they didn't read the page (which included links to several "example" web sites that were perfect fits for certain merchants).

Keep in mind that some affiliate-technology providers make it easier for publishers to communicate with you more effectively (for example, ShareASale lets the publisher include a message as part of the application, while CJ and GAN don't).

It's perfectly reasonable to ask the publisher where your ads would appear, but sometimes doing so is cumbersome.

You face two conflicting pressures when evaluating new publisher applications.

First, you want to open the door to a wide range of suitable publishers, including some who aren't likely to drive much traffic right now but who may learn and grow into success. If you exclude these folks now, they might never try to contact you again.

Second, you want to exclude unethical affiliates and parasites, who often use paper-thin "shill" sites or even list sites they don't even operate. If they submit 50 fraudulent applications using fake identities, and you approve just one, they'll start looking for ways to cheat you. Once approved, they'll try to drive unqualified traffic or stuff cookies in order to "poach" advertising fees for transactions which they never influenced. In the worst case, they'll actually engage in activities that drive down your sales -- for example, by listing fake coupons to attract coupon-searchers, who then become upset that "your" coupon isn't being honored).

Finally, be very careful when 'recruiting' web publishers into your program; if a publisher submits an application in response to your invitation, then your rejection of the application will likely be viewed as an insult. (This is one reason why it's very helpful to identify the specific web site or page which led you to contact the publisher; of course, if you don't, many publishers will assume your "personal invitation" is just broadcast spam.)

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to strike the right balance between "seeking quality publishers" and "minimizing time spent on fraudulent applications." (If you give a specific reason for rejecting a site, or if you offer a method for legitimate publishers to contact you to explain why their site is suitable, you'll end up spending time dealing with credible-sounding appeals from unethical affiliates.)
    Last edited by markwelch; February 8th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks all.
    Will hit you again with more questions

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    All good stuff. If I don't see an obvious fit, I'll generally email or message the affiliate to see what they have in mind - in a lot of cases, they are building a new site or looking to promote by some other means. Affiliates can definitely help their case by doing a couple of things.

1. Actually keep your network profile up to date with the sites that you to have out there. In cases like this, even if you don't have a site that matches my merchant directly, at least I can see that you are a capable content generating affiliate and will generally approve the app to give them a shot.

2. Do what Mark does and set up a page on your site that explains how you work and include links to a few of your projects.

Hope this helps.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread