Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    So Sick of Temporary Offline
    Why is it when you get on a roll sending traffic to a merchant they go offline due to lack of funds?

I don't understand why Shareasale doesn't make it mandatory for merchants to go on Autodeposit?

Brian can you Answer?

F@@ck I HATE WASTING TRAFFIC AND TIME!

Don't these stupid merchants realize their LOSING MONEY?

15 years and counting
    This is one of the best features at Shareasale. No money, no traffic.

You're in charge. You have everything you need to control what's happening.
    - If the merchant is deactivated, you're redirected to a page of your choice. You don't lose your traffic.
    - Before deactivation, you have a warning in red "Low Funds" Don't promote the merchant if you're expecting sales.
    - You have a "Program Uptime History" You know how many times the merchant was deactivated for lack of funds. If you don't like what you see, look for an other merchant.

Do your home work!

Contact your "stupid" merchant and explain them what they should do and how much money they are losing.
    They will listen to you, increase their deposit, go on autodeposit... (if you're bringing them mucho sales)
    Don't wait for SAS to do it. They gave you the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Contact your "stupid" merchant and explain them what they should do and how much money they are losing.
    They will listen to you, increase their deposit, go on autodeposit... (if you're bringing them mucho sales)
    ...and if the merchant is smart, and we'll assume they're not if they've been offline more than twice in the past twelve months, they'll act immediately. If they don't, drop 'em like a 3 foot putt.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    IMAGEKIND, Merchant id 10782, is down.

Not that they ever converted for me, but what the hell.

Who replaced Caroline? When she was at SAS these kinds of threads were replied to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    This is one of the best features at Shareasale. No money, no traffic.

You're in charge. You have everything you need to control what's happening.
    - If the merchant is deactivated, you're redirected to a page of your choice. You don't lose your traffic.
    - Before deactivation, you have a warning in red "Low Funds" Don't promote the merchant if you're expecting sales.
    - You have a "Program Uptime History" You know how many times the merchant was deactivated for lack of funds. If you don't like what you see, look for an other merchant.

Do your home work!

+1 except the stupid part. I like my Stupid.com merchant thank you.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Shareasale has one of the better Merchant Offline systems.

While merchants seemingly go offline too frequently, I have found that with the majority that a simple email alerting them to the fact has worked wonders. An email them to them can also be an opportunity to open up dialogue that can benefit you, the affiliate.

Also have discovered, that many merchants' WERE on AutoDeposit but their credit card expired (most of them around the end of October) and, for whatever reason, they didn't realize it. I have had many a merchant thank me for alerting them to that tidbit of information.

Should a merchant not respond to your 'notification', if their history shows a frequent pattern of going offline, or if they stay offline too long (I give them a week) - drop them...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    +1 except the stupid part. I like my Stupid.com merchant thank you.
    yes indeed, Stupid.com works well for me, too!

But stupid merchants -- yup, that's a problem.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    IMAGEKIND, Merchant id 10782, is down.

Not that they ever converted for me, but what the hell.

Who replaced Caroline? When she was at SAS these kinds of threads were replied to.
    No one could every replace Carolyn ... and all merchants are notified that when they hit "low funds" and again when they are "offline". Also, our support team will give them a call too just to let them know that they went "offline".

Don't forget we also have an RSS that will give you instant notification of merchants when they go on or offline i would advise using if you are not already!

Please contact me directly if I be of any additional assistance!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rubacky View Post
    all merchants are notified that when they hit "low funds" and again when they are "offline". Also, our support team will give them a call too just to let them know that they went "offline".
    Those are key points to analyze. The merchant is notified by all means necessary. Whether they choose to immediately act upon that notification and deposit more funds or update their card is up to them. If you keep seeing the issue, rethink your promotions with that merchant.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Don't forget we also have an RSS that will give you instant notification of merchants when they go on or offline i would advise using if you are not already!
    I believe it is at ShareASale.com Online/Offline Notification and in FF you can drag that URL to your Bookmarks toolbar and check it anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I believe it is at ShareASale.com Online/Offline Notification and in FF you can drag that URL to your Bookmarks toolbar and check it anytime.
    Exactly!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Actually it's on the FF toolbar on my (PC) laptop but I see that in Mac it goes to a subscribe page that will give you the subscribe (RSS) link so you don't even have to leave the page you're on.

That's where I spotted the PumpYouUp offline notes yesterday. I see they are not on that list today so I guess maybe reversing the commissions put them back online..who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    That's where I spotted the PumpYouUp offline notes yesterday. I see they are not on that list today so I guess maybe reversing the commissions put them back online..who knows.
    I suppose that's yet another way to stay online.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    There are several messages that go to Merchants prior to being offline.

We offer dual-credit card auto-deposit which means if one card fails, the Merchant can have a backup on standby.

We've got an RSS notification for offline, as well as an API which can be used for real-time notification.

In your account there is an "offline redirect" which allows you to control what happens to your traffic when a merchant is offline. We send the traffic back to you so that you can send to a similar merchant, or notify your user (or yourself) about the situation and how to get around it. You could even send the traffic along to the merchant anyhow as has been suggested (though commission would not occur).

Bottom line is that there is really no technology excuse for a Merchant to be offline, the tools are all there to use ... we stress this point in our marketing materials and welcome kits to merchants as well... it is something that we constantly point out to them and alert them to.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

You could even send the traffic along to the merchant anyhow as has been suggested (though commission would not occur).
    Nice suggestion!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    That wasn't suggested by me... that has been a request by affiliates that we simply send the traffic along.

I personally don't like it which is why we don't do it.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    In your account there is an "offline redirect" which allows you to control what happens to your traffic when a merchant is offline. We send the traffic back to you so that you can send to a similar merchant, or notify your user (or yourself) about the situation and how to get around it.
    The problem with this is that if you have more than one merchant offline and they are very different e.g., a Shoe merchant and a Furniture merchant you can only redirect them to the same place.

It would be awesome if when you joined a merchant you could specifically say where you want the traffic to go just for that merchant if they go online. I.E., Have a different redirect for EVERY merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by janew View Post
    The problem with this is that if you have more than one merchant offline and they are very different e.g., a Shoe merchant and a Furniture merchant you can only redirect them to the same place.

It would be awesome if when you joined a merchant you could specifically say where you want the traffic to go just for that merchant if they go online. I.E., Have a different redirect for EVERY merchant.
    I agree that having a different redirect for EVERY merchant would be an ideal solution, but I don't think that can be easily doable from the network side...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    That wasn't suggested by me... that has been a request by affiliates that we simply send the traffic along.

I personally don't like it which is why we don't do it.
    But from the affiliate point of view sending the traffic to the merchant may be the best solution.

When the vistor clicks on a SAS link to goto a merchant site and the link do not take them to the site then the affiliate site looks bad.

If you send the vistor to the merchant and a sale is generated then the affiliate gets paid (or not paid) when the merchants tops up his account again. So what wrong with this option??

Also I think all merchants should be forced to setup auto deposit. Brian, why are you not doing this??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    But from the affiliate point of view sending the traffic to the merchant may be the best solution.
    From what affiliate point of view that may be the best solution?
    When the vistor clicks on a SAS link to goto a merchant site and the link do not take them to the site then the affiliate site looks bad.
    That may depend on the page the visitor lands, and what that page may say about why (fill inthe blank) for the redirect...
    If you send the vistor to the merchant and a sale is generated then the affiliate gets paid (or not paid) when the merchants tops up his account again. So what wrong with this option??
    So "What's wrong with that option"?

How about if you spend a few hundred dollars on PPC to promote that merchant, and after you send a few visitors to that merchant, and that merchant makes a lot of money from your traffic, you didn't get paid because the merchant was "Temporary Offline"??????????????

Do you really agree with that ?

Quote Originally Posted by janew View Post
    This is actually pretty easy to do if you have a Linux hosting plan.

Create a new file on your website, you can call it offline.php, for example.

Login to Shareasale > Account Settings > Edit Account Settings > scroll down to Custom Error Redirect for "Temporarily Offline Merchants" > enter the URL of your website to include /offline.php

Open up your .htaccess file

Make sure you have the following at the top of your file:

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    Use a referral redirect to the page of your choice for each merchant that goes offline.

Code:
    #Name of offline lingerie merchant
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRinG} merchantID=xxxx
    RewriteRule search.php http://www. domain. name/search.php?query=Lingerie&search=1 [R=301,L]
    The above example is what we use to redirect offline merchants to a search page. You can redirect any offline merchant to any page.

First line:
    #Name of offline lingerie merchant - Place the # symbol before the offline merchant's name. This is used to help you identify which merchant you are redirecting.

2nd line:
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRinG} merchantID=xxxx - 'MerchantID=xxxx' is automatically appended to your redirect URL you entered into Sharesale. So if xxxx merchant goes offline, they are redirected to: www .yourwebsite .name/offline.php?merchantID=xxxx

3rd line:
    RewriteRule search.php - This takes line two that contains the 'merchantID=xxxx' and sends it to the page of your choice.

If you had a Wordpress installation:

Code:
    #Name of offline lingerie merchant
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRinG} merchantID=xxxx 
    RewriteRule index.php http://www. your-domain .name/?s=lingerie [R=301,L]
    The above would use the Wordpress search to pull up all lingerie posts.

You probably will have to test a few different ways as we did this sometime back and I don't remember the exact particulars. Just know it works for us Perhaps someone can clean up the code to better explain it for general purposes. Search Google for some examples.

One of the great things about this is you don't have to rush out and change all your links right away. You can leave the merchant in your .htaccess file until you drop them. You can have hundreds if you desire.

Happy redirecting...

Thank you so much, Convergence. Very useful information.

Off to play with some WordPress installs on SAS affiliate sites of mine ...

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    So "What's wrong with that option"?

How about if you spend a few hundred dollars on PPC to promote that merchant, and after you send a few visitors to that merchant, and that merchant makes a lot of money from your traffic, you didn't get paid because the merchant was "Temporary Offline"??????????????

Do you really agree with that ?
    Well it nice to know that you do not respect other affiliate point of views. So would you rather affiliate who do not agree with your points to stop posting at ABW.

The above option are my option and other affiliate here at ABW agree with them may you do not but you do not have to be rude about it!!!

Show some respect to other ABW member PLEASE!!!

So what affiliate would be stupid enough to spends $100's on PPC on a merchant who is not setup on auto deposit??? (Just my option)
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Convergence, thanks for a great solution.

A mod should split your post off and sticky it in this forum if that's OK with you (anyone else got a problem with that?).

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; February 9th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    A mod should split your post off and sticky it in this forum (anyone got a problem with that?).
    Not me...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast