Exclamation 3 Things I Still See Too Much of from Merchants
    Having been around the block a few times, and having been a merchant and OPM myself in the past, I just wanted to throw out a few things I've seen happening in my re-insertion on the affiliate side.

1.) Poor Datafeed Quality: I understand that merchants don't necessarily want to spew all of their own websites verbiage into a datafeed for duplicate content reasons, protecting their own SEO etc. However, unless you're selling thousands of products, you should still be able to create meaningful data that we can use. Second, make sure your image links are correct. Lastly, please update them when necessary.

2.) Phone numbers in datafeeds and creative: I don't see this as often, and generally it's in new programs, but I do see it. Please don't do that. While it can be an honest oversight or lack of understanding, it's a sure way to drop you to the bottom of my to do list. Might even put you on the To Don't list if it persists.

3.) Unclear/Poor Terms and Conditions : I'm no lawyer, but some of the items I've seen in ToC's lately are either really disturbing, or really vague. It's another good way to not get promoted. Be clear, be concise, and be fair. Larger merchants I'm sure have legal teams trying to justify their salaries by writing these Magna Carta's, and I get the need for your protection. If you do that, please include a layman's outline that accurately describes the spirit of your agreement.

That all said, I'm excited to be back on this side of the fence. So many tools exist now that allow you to incorporate datafeeds and advertising along with meaningful content (I live in Wordpress) that being an affiliate now is more fun and easier than ever.

Let's all work together to make affiliate marketing what it should be: A Win Win scenario that drives consistent and aggressive ROI on both sides of the equation.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Also the lack of categories in feeds. I can't imagine why a merchant would distribute a 12K item feed with just a single category, Jewelry.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Also the lack of categories in feeds. I can't imagine why a merchant would distribute a 12K item feed with just a single category, Jewelry.

-rematt
    or you build the feed into a site and then the categories disappear!

my pet peeve: no indication from the AM when the feed becomes unusable because all the sku's changed.

I actually had one merchant suggest that I categorize their feed and send them a copy after I complained about the lack categories.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I actually had one merchant suggest that I categorize their feed and send them a copy after I complained about the lack categories.

-rematt
    How do you attach an invoice to a .csv?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

-rematt
    You should do it. After the first page change all the links to your sites, see if the merchant notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    You should do it. After the first page change all the links to your sites, see if the merchant notices.
    Damn, I wish I had posted about it at the time.

-rematt

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    How do you attach an invoice to a .csv?
    I did inquire about how much that would be willing to pay, I never heard back. Must have gotten caught in the SPAM filters. Another lost opportunity.

-rematt

Do you think 3 or 4 categories would be sufficient? That would provide the detail needed by some, and the others would just use the top level.

Whatever it takes to cover the actual product categories. If the feed contains what could logically be sorted into 150 categories, the feed should contain 150 categories. The more granular the better.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; February 8th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

Another thing that I've found helpful are merchants that use tags within their feeds. This allows creating categories based on searches as well as ad-hoc searches by the customer.

-rematt

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceBertola View Post
    Do you think 3 or 4 categories would be sufficient? That would provide the detail needed by some, and the others would just use the top level.
    Depends what the product is and how it is classified. The more detailed the category structure is the better. Why have 4 if you can effectively and meaningfully do more, a top level break down is a requirement, secondary and further break downs are great to have too
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread