Can I hire New Yorkers?
    ...i'm sure i can, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm reading posts about web servers in "Affiliate Tax" states can possibly create nexus, so, that got me thinking. would states consider "hired help" nexus?

basically, I may want to hire someone who lives in New York to write for my blog. That's it. I live in Connecticut. I am a affiliate marketer.

can I do this without new york coming after me for some kind of nexus?

i guess i'm just a little paranoid. it's crazy what is going on with these states and what they want to pull with the affiliate tax laws.

thanks,

Tax Paying Member
    Are you "hiring" as an employee?
    Are you "hiring" as a contractor?

2 different concepts. 2 different sets of rules.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Are you "hiring" as an employee?
    Are you "hiring" as a contractor?

2 different concepts. 2 different sets of rules.
    When it comes to the affiliate nexus legislation in NY, there's not much distinction. Affiliates are contractors, but NY says that their presence in NY creates a nexus for merchants.

What cowboysfan is describing, though, is an extra degree of separation. The NY resident is a contractor for the affiliate of the NY merchant. Since the contractor would be doing writing rather than sales, I can't imagine how NY could claim that as a nexus. If the contractor did sales-focused work for the affiliate, I think it's much less clear.

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, though, so my "legal advice" isn't worth much.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

All makes sense what was posted... Just wondering.. How would NY know? NY would have to get the tax records of every affiliate in the country to see if they hired anyone in the US
    Last edited by gcarson; February 10th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

witzer: i would be hiring the blogger as a contractor.

i hear what you are saying michael, thank you for the input. well.....if i hire a new yorker to write for my blog...i guess the case could be make they are doing sales...i mean, what if they write an article about a product, or a special deal they get on my website?

gcarson - i'm assuming they would know if you hired a new yorker because you would have to send them a 1099 at year end...but that is a good question.

i'm assuming that if i do hire a new yorker as a contractor, i should be in the clear. with all these crazy laws though, i just want to be safe then sorry.

Tax Paying Member
    I apologize. I was thinking in terms of "other taxes". When discussing "hiring", I think in terms of withholding taxes. etc..........

Sales tax is not on my priority list.

In NY, are services covered by sales tax? Just curious....
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    can I do this without new york coming after me for some kind of nexus?
    And to clarify... If you're an affiliate and you create a nexus for merchants, NY won't come after you - they'll come after the merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

right. then the merchants will come after me

i will try and find out for sure. i don't think hiring a blogger who lives New York creates a nexus for merchants through out of state affiliates..but who knows these days lol

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    gcarson - i'm assuming they would know if you hired a new yorker because you would have to send them a 1099 at year end...but that is a good question.
    Good point. But the 1099 only tells them your company paid them for something. Doesn't really say for what. But better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Good point. But the 1099 only tells them your company paid them for something. Doesn't really say for what. But better to be safe than sorry.
    true. idk. hopefully someone who knows the deal will come along and address this thread.

actually, IF the law says if you hire new yorkers this creates a nexus...i think this will help our fight as affiliates in other states. i mean, not only would the amazon tax cost the states jobs in-states..but potential out of states employers may not be looking to hire as well.

We hire New Yorkers
    We have been hiring New Yorkers for many years. They are some of the best affiliates/webmasters we deal with.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread